Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lived in WA for 9 years and used to shoot a lot when I was younger in NSW. I'm keen to get back into it but don't know anyone with a large property etc.
My question is this - if I was to join my local rifle club am I likely to meet members who are happy to let me shoot on their property and provide me with the necessary letter so I can obtain a licence? What have other people's experiences been?
Obviously each club is different and I understand there's no definitive answer. Just wondering if anyone else has done the same?

·
Registered
139 Posts
As a Western Australian for MANY years, things have changed spmewhat over time. The only way to answer your question is you need to try it and see. No other way as people are different. A lot depends on where you are located, in the Perth area your idea may not work as most club members will be city people and no property. A country club, not a "Country Club" though, would be a better proposition. The other thing is that if you join a club and obtain a licence it will be endorsed for "Club use only". If you then got permission to shoot on a property you need to reapply for a "Recreational licence". Don't get caught using a club use firearm anywhere else. Hard way to go but that is how it is, like it or not I am afraid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm down in Mandurah. Might just go down there and have a chat with them. Can't hurt....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Damo how did you go with trying to get a property letter? Im in a similar situation. i grew up on a farm in SouthAus and moved to WA for work. Im trying to get my licence but WA police won't accept a letter from SA and i know no one here that has property.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just went through the whole license process (Im in Bunbury), takes ages. I didn't have to but I saw a guy offering property letters on gumtree for a fee. Sounds a bit dodgy...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts