Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had ordered a Charles Daly rifle but it never came in. So I had the guys stop the order for me. Today I was wandering through a Pawn shop and what do I see! That there looks like a Mauser action, "say there, can I look at that rifle?" "Sure, its just an old , cheap, Western Field 30-06". "Yes it is, how much do you want for it?" "Oh, bout that much". I giggle to myself. "Well, I'll guess I'll take it"
Bore looks brand new, action is slick as a whistle, put together in West Germany by Friedrich Wilhelm Heym. I think they used FN actions, looks just like my other one. This one has a 24" barrel, trigger isn't adjustable, also has a hinged floor plate with this little lever that swings to both sides to open. Has a pin that keeps it shut in the middle position. I like the hinged floor plate, but not sure I like that lever. Looks to me like it would open just when I don't want it to.

·
Beartooth Regular
2,139 Posts
Hey Joel, it sounds like you just keep coming across these great buys! Keep your eyes open. you don't find a great many bargains in my area. People seem to know what things are worth and then ask a little more! ID

·
Registered
7 Posts
Western Field

Joel B, I just found this site.I know your message is from 2002 but i find it interesting. I have the same gun. The only difference it caliber. Mine is in 308. It shoots 1-1/2" MOA and the action and trigger are smooth as silk. I have a number of Western fields but this is definitely one of the better ones as far as shooting.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Another one to watch for is the the rifle Sears made up with FN barreled actions..Back then if you brought the barreled action in "In The White" you did not pay the big duty. Sears had them blued and stocked over here. ]And...Don't overlooked the Sako/Tikka made Ithaca 55's and 65's.
Regards, James

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up selling that Western Field rifle. The action is an outstanding action, but it's an intermediate size. Thus, It's hard to find a stock for it. Take a look at the magazine and see if it has been opened up.

And I still love the JC Higgins FN 98's. Outstanding rifles for the money. There are easily the most accurate factory rifles I've ever owned. I've had 5, never shot one of them. But the rest were simply outstanding in the accuracy department.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts