Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hornady, Sierra or Lapua?

for bullets, more specifically for .338 Lapua.

i have mainly used hornady bullets but recently I came across a video on youtube of Mike Millard who says to not be afraid to try different bullets and see what results you get.

what do you guys think of these bullet makers? Who makes a better bullet?

Hornady (BTHP Match) seems to be a little more expensive than Sierra (Matchking) by about $2 bucks and Lapua (scenar) being the cheapest at almost $10 cheaper than Sierra.

The bullets that I’m looking at are 250 grain for .338

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sometimes you see a definite difference in group size when trying different brands of bullets, just like primers and brass as well. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

If you are loading for 338 Lapua, are you really concerned about $2-10 more for a box of bullets.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Sort of depends upon your rifles purpose. For punching paper at up to 250 yds, anything works, a waste for premium bullets. For game animals, depends on size of game. for long range shooting 400-1000 yards you will probably want premium bullets, like the AL-tiped Hornady.

For general hunting on big game ( 400 #+) out to 350 yards I use Hornady interlock. Just my thoughts. For deer and black bears I use 200 gr. Hornady. Longest shot on BG was on a giant Kudu at 325 yds, one shot with 225 gr Hornady; shot another one at 190 yds on the run.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
i have mainly used hornady bullets but recently I came across a video on youtube of Mike Millard who says to not be afraid to try different bullets and see what results you get.

what do you guys think of these bullet makers? Who makes a better bullet?
I avoid Hornady at all costs, don't care for the.... Stuff.... they let the marketing dept peddle.

Honestly, I think they all build more consistent bullets, than most shooters are capable of detecting.

For example, and not meant at all to be degrading:
It took a YouTube video for you to actually consider trying something new. That's not really uncommon.
Most people will start with a certain brand, either because the manual or person who is teaching them suggested it.
Perfectly reasonable.
Eventually for one reason or another, they'll get their hands on a different brand, load it either the same; or use someone else's load online.
They expect the same magical results as was reported online, or in a manual from 20 years ago.

Components are constantly shifting and changing, guns, powders, etc. Frankly it would be more unusual for it to work, as well as was hoped.
So the bullet will inevitably take the blame for the lack of reloading and shooting skill.
Tons of posts where someone only tried the popular powder, from the popular loads by the popular guy online. The results weren't super-mega-cool, so the bullets must be junk.... Right??🙄

Some rifles just won't like certain bullets. But let's be honest, if you are outside and shooting learning that. Well that's a great time spent anyway.

Cheers

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
Let's just call him Tom.:cool:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I shoot a lot of Sierra bullets in different guns/cartridges. You don’t need to spend a lot of money on premium bullets to shoot long range. I have shot the 250 smk to a mile. If your gun shoots less expensive bullets well, by all means use them. My lapua has been one of the easiest guns I’ve ever loaded for. I’ve got loads for 200,215,225,250 and 300 gr bullets. Mostly I shoot the 250 smk and 300 Nosler custom comp. or Berger. The 250 smk load has shot well in 4 different rifles. All 4 shooting sub moa.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,598 Posts
I avoid Hornady at all costs, don't care for the.... Stuff.... they let the marketing dept peddle.

Honestly, I think they all build more consistent bullets, than most shooters are capable of detecting
Really? (poke poke poke 😉😉)

I shoot a ton of Hornady stuff as well as Sierra, Nosler and Swift.

In a 338 crapua I'd opt for as tough a bullet as I could get for shooting anything bigger than a prairie dog. If all you're going g to do is punch paper, then anything Sierra makes will probably out shoot anything else.

YMMV

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
RJ has a good point but for some reason my rifles love Noslers. Costs me more$ but I still test other bullets just in case something changed when I wasn't lookin! It's a dirty job but somebody's gotta do it!

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
Really? (poke poke poke 😉😉)

I shoot a ton of Hornady stuff as well as Sierra, Nosler and Swift.

:)
Hornady makes good bullets, no doubt. I have fired a ton of them in the past, myself. Just won't support them anymore for my own reasons. Which may not align with anyone else's notions.;)

·
10,598 Posts
:)
Hornady makes good bullets, no doubt. I have fired a ton of them in the past, myself. Just won't support them anymore for my own reasons. Which may not align with anyone else's notions.;)
I buy what works, not the hype. Those "melting" plastic tips? 🤣😂😂🤣🤣😂😂🤣🤣😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,331 Posts
That was certainly one of the things that got my dander up.

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Hornady, Sierra or Lapua?
Who makes a better bullet?
Better? Hard to say, as some of the "best" bullets available won't shoot for poo in any of my 20 or so rifles.

On average, if I can't get a Sierra or Hornady bullet of a couple different weights, and 2-3 different powders to shoot to expectations,I know I have a problem. By the same measure, I've found that the more a bullet costs, the harder it is to find a good load. ??

You won't know until you give bullet "X" a try. My experience, or anyone else's may have no correlation to yours, But I think Sierra might have the best odds based on many rifles over many years.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Why not just take Mike Millard's advice and try some different bullets? Why would you take some internet strangers' advice over some internet stranger named Mike Millard?

One of the "fun" things about reloading for me is experimenting with different loads in the futile search for ultimate performance. I enjoy the scientific process combined with the "art" of shooting well. So my advice is go for it. Be sure you understand the advantages of different bullet construction styles, and remember that, at least for hunting, terminal performance is an important part of what makes a "good bullet" and that a dollar or two in cost for a box of bullets is pretty much insignificant in the calculation of shooting costs. Shooting what works well is worth a lot.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
Since it is a physical impossibility to try every suitable load in any rifle, I choose cheap components and make my rifle shoot them to my expectations.
I've been known (several times) to buy thousands of bullets and then build a rifle to shoot them.

Reactions: shooterPaul

·
Registered
567 Posts
Bullets perform differently in different guns due to rifling variances. For instance, I have a RRA AR15 A4, Wylde chambered 1:9 twist, 20" rifle I use for shooting at medium apples out at 400yds. Fun targets when you hit them because they vaporize but challenging at that range because they are less than 1 MOA targets at 400yds.

Anyway, the 'standard load' everyone proposes for accurate shooting is Varget powder and Sierra 69grn HPBT bullets. Simple as heck, they always work best, right? Not necessarily. In my RRA, I've tried and tried to make it shoot those but it flat won't. What it loves is TAC powder and Hornady 68grn HPBT bullets. So that's what I use. Go figure.

·
10,598 Posts
COSteve nailed it. Having four .223 bolt guns is akin to having four teenage daughters. No two like the same load, each has her own brass, one has a different bullet and another needs special primers.

Good thing they can at least share the same hard case two at a time 😵

RJ

Reactions: JBelk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Good thing they can at least share the same hard case two at a time 😵

RJ
As long as neither of them is "over on my side" or "touching me!" :D

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Having four .223 bolt guns is akin to having four teenage daughters. No two like the same load,
Why is that?
Same can be said for most everything else, including handgun/carbine rounds. ???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts