Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not shoot very well when I went to shoot Saturday. I could not get comfortable at my friends make shift bench and I kept moving at the point I pulled the trigger. I hit paper out to 500yds and when I shot right I hit it at 600yds but that is all I can say about a very poor day of shooting. I will bring my own bench next time but I had fun shooting with Jerry, he is a good friend.

So, with that bad shooting day in my craw I decided to make sure I had my hunting load tweaked like I like it. So, on my way to work this morning, I stopped by the range to sight-in my rifle with my hunting load.

I had fired 60 rounds through my rifle and decided last night to clean it before I went to the range this morning to sight-in and also to foul my barrel with five rounds for this hunting season. I believe my rifle, load and me are ready for this year. What a way to start my day, having a five shot group like this out of a completely clean barrel. Sure says a lot for the quality of barrel on my 300Win Mag 116 FHSS Savage Weather Warrior.

165gr HPBT 3220fps

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,224 Posts
If'n that was my rifle i'd use it for a jack handle.

Just kiddin'!!!

Awesome group!!. Looks like you found the right recipe!!

RJ

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
You might want to play with your seating depth or drop the powder charge by 1/100th of a grain...I can almost see a thin strip of paper left between your bullet holes! :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
What was the distance to the target?

How far from the aim point is that group?

Being an old chuck hunter I find that a rifle that stays sighted in is just as or more valuable than many shots in a tight group. For target shooting its different as we take sighters.

These days I am shooting two shot groups from my hunting rifles and then I put the rifle down, record what happened and shoot another rifle while that one cools.

By the way if your group is at 100 yds or more its a very good one and with a powerful load as well.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys it is doing good.

It is 100yds

It is 2.5" high at 100yds

I moved it 1/4" right and it is correct for elevation and windage. The scope on this rifle never moves off what I put it on. I am ready for the field.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts