Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was throwing around the idea of having my .338 Win Mag cut down to a 20" barrel, and recrowned. Then put a 1-4 scope of some sort on it, and use it as a lightweight carry rifle for tight woods.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
If thats what you want to do. would probably be very effective. although you would likely get the same results with a .338-06 with a 20 inch barrel.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If thats what you want to do. would probably be very effective. although you would likely get the same results with a .338-06 with a 20 inch barrel.

But I already own a .338 WM, no sense in buying a new rifle. If was going to buy one for that purpose, Id get a Ruger Compact in .338 Federal.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
BarkBuster20 has a point -- a lot less flash, blast and recoil, and considerably less powder burned for the same performance. A shorty .350 Remington Magnum might float your boat, too.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
>But I already own a .338 WM, no sense in buying a new rifle. If was going to buy one for that purpose, Id get a Ruger Compact in .338 Federal.

Well, looking at it another way, maybe it's better to sell the .338 Win and buy the .338 Ruger, rather than creating a .338 Win that will have limited saleability in the future.

It's all in what you want, and what I want is not always really practical either.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sounds nice but why not put the $$$ in a new gun as opposed to fabrication of a "lightweight carry rifle." I was thinking of an acronym for your name - "That Ain't 'Nuff Gun" - How about a stainless Ruger # 1 in 45/70. It's light, compact and at 6 1/2 pounds will get your attention with the full power loads.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Actually tang considering you already have the rifle that is a valid point, if you ever wanted to restor it to full .338 WM levels, simply rebarrel.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds nice but why not put the $$$ in a new gun as opposed to fabrication of a "lightweight carry rifle." I was thinking of an acronym for your name - "That Ain't 'Nuff Gun" - How about a stainless Ruger # 1 in 45/70. It's light, compact and at 6 1/2 pounds will get your attention with the full power loads.

I was considering trading my .300 Win Mag for a .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun thats at the shop. It's used, but in great shape. For the woody areas of my land I hunt, it's iron sights would be plenty. Now that I have the 300 RUM to hunt over corn fields, I no longer need the 300 Win Mag.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I've heard from many that the Guide Gun with the 3,500 ft pound loads is tough on the shoulder so it should be perfect for you.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me. I have the Ruger Frontier in 358 Win. Really like the short barrel.

A 20", 338 WM would probably match or outperform a 338 Federal or 338-06 in a longer barrel. Sure it would be noisy, but so what?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the idea expecially with the low power scope, so long as you can take the punishment and we all know Tang feeds of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
the 20 inch barrel isnt too far fetched for instance check out the thompson center pistol or the savage striker. i know they are chaimbered for standard calibers but the barrels are 12 or 14 inches so flash and blast couldnt be much different. and also if you have the chance to trade for a guide gun go for it. i love mine although i aint had it long i think it might be the perfect rifle for me after a few modifications.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
My light carry rifle is a 18.5" semi auto .44 Mag.

How long is the barrel you currently have? I think they are 24", so cutting down to 20 might not be so bad, chop 250 FPS off what you are currently getting and you are into 338 Fed territory anyway. This isn't so bad if you can use a SST or Ballistic Tip or Accubond bullet. No Partitions or Trophy Bonded Bear Claws though.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its hard ot beat a lever action for woods. Iv got a 30-30 that I carry every once in a while. With the new(ish) Hornady rounds for lever guns the 45-70 woudlnt be a bad performer.

·
Banned
205 Posts
I had 2 Sako Battue's that had 20" barrels. One in 375 H&H and the other in 338WM. The 338 only lost 61 FPS velocity with the 4" shorter barrel shooting 225's, 338-06 won't even come close to that with a 24" barrel.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Works for me, if you handload you might want to use a faster powder to take advantage of the shorter barrel and to reduce your muzzle flash. My favorite rifle is my H&R 308 with a 20" bull barrel and I am thinking of adding to the collection with a 338 Federal or making a 8MM-08 with 20" bull barrel. Maybe I like the idea because I like short barrels.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
My light carry rifle is a 18.5" semi auto .44 Mag.

How long is the barrel you currently have? I think they are 24", so cutting down to 20 might not be so bad, chop 250 FPS off what you are currently getting and you are into 338 Fed territory anyway. This isn't so bad if you can use a SST or Ballistic Tip or Accubond bullet. No Partitions or Trophy Bonded Bear Claws though.

Yeap, Matt it is 24". I was thinking running it with either the Barnes 160gr TTSX or 180gr Nosler AB.

Quickload estimates a 200gr Ballistic Tip @ 2700 with RL15 out of a 20" barrel.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You are going to lose about 1/2lb from that gun, so recoil will still be strong.

With so many good big game guns, I think this is a good venture, especially when you are mainly hunting thick woods.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I haVE A BIL with a 16 1/2", bull barrel .338 win mag. My 350 Rem mag outperforms it in every way.

Some gunsmith convinced him the ONLY bullet is the Nosler Partition. I have seen it make more pencil holes through moose than I care to count. He gets them, but he wastes a lot of ammo, and tracks them further than I like.
I think his bullet is going too slow to expand. The Nosler is an ok bullet, but it needs speed to take advantage of that expansion.
I try to convince him to reload. With a faster powder, it might be a good round.
Meanwhile, I'll have to keep killing his wounded...

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can also consider the Surefire muzzle break and suppressor set-up if the muzzle flash and noise is too much for ya. Granted it would add to the overall length but would reduce the sound quite a bit. For the ultimate carry rifle nab one of McMillian's Hunter's EDGE Ultralight, weighs less than 2lbs finished. The Leupld CQB scope is a nice 1-4x with an illuminated recticle and I think a 35 MOA circle around the center of the cross hair.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts