Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Bersa Thunder .32 and once I put 150 rounds thru it I will carry it IWB.

I know the .32 is not a greatly popular carry weapon but I believe loaded with FMJ ball ammo it will do a decent job. Mine has a 10 round mag.

Anyone else here carry a .32?

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Guess I'd rather carry a .22WMR than a .25 or .32. But to each their own.

When I asked my dad about a .32 ACP he told me to get a real pistol. Said if I shot someone with it they'd probably take it away, stuff it up my a$$ and kick the handle off. I bought a 1911 and dad approved of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a savage 32 acp years ago and the first time I shot it at some old 5 gallon empty plastic buckets the rounds glanced off the sides at about 25 yards away it wouldn't even penatrate a plastic bucket unless I was almost on top of it, being third generation police I personally have even seen .357 magnum rounds fired from 4 inch barrel revolvers at car windshields at close range and the round would shatter the glass but would glance off it. Since then I dont believe in carrying any caliber unless the first number is 4.but I will say this a 32acp automatic in your pocket beats a fully loaded M-60 machine gun at home in a closet all day long.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.32 acp for CCW

There is a video online where a Buffalo Bore FN +P .32 acp round goes thru 16 layers of denim and penetrates 14 inches into balistic gel. It was fired from a Kel-Tec P-32 pocket gun.

So anyway, that was from a 2.6 barrel and mine has a 3.5 barrel so it should do okay.

Shot placement is all important with any gun.

Also remember, James Bond uses a .32

:D

·
Registered
11,939 Posts
Since it's what you own and you seem reasonable confident in it, I'd buy a bunch of that Buffalo Bore ammo and practice a lot with it. While practicing you might run some of your own penatration tests to see for yourself how it does.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
cluznar,

A .32 in your pocket is far better than the .45 you left in the console of your truck when there is a need for a CCW gun. There are better rounds than FMJ for the .32; you seem to be aware of that ammo.

More important than how much ballistic power your cartridge has is how much attitude you bring to a confrontation. A felon faced with a nervous, stuttering, hesitant CCW person is not going to care what caliber he is facing. Faced with a resolute, calm determined CCW person, the felon knows he is going to get shot repeatedly. Attitude and practice means more than caliber.

Webley

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I've owned several different .32 ACPs over the years and still have a CZ50 that I load for. Out of my guns I push a Hornady 85 gr XTP real fast. Don't normally carry it anymore as I have bigger stuff but its still there if needed to fill a role again. Remember its shot placement under pressure that counts first.

CD

·
Registered
480 Posts
When I was a MP, I fell in love with the .45 ACP, which I still carry today. When I worked on the Dutch/German border, the Dutch police carried the Browning High Power 9mm. The German Customs (Zoll) and the German Federal Border Police (BGS) carried the Walther PP in .32 ACP. I think that says a lot for the .32 ACP. It remained that way until terrorist cativities started to increase. The Germans were reissued Walther P-1 in 9mm. Even a well placed .22 is better than a baseball bat!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I carry this KelTec .32 now and again. I can hit a 5 gal bucket with it @ maybe 15 feet. It penetrates the bucket. It kicks. Weighs about 6 oz. It has always fired when I pull the trigger. It has its place in my CC battery. I carry it when, if I didn't carry it, I wouldn't carry anything.
It doesn't inspire much confidence, but sometimes even a aluminum J Frame is more than I wish to carry, so I have the .32. I'm getting too old for fistfights.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
My BUG is a .32 NAA, much more powerful than the .32 ACP but just as small. For a primary CCW I prefer something a bit larger than the .32 caliber anything.

·
Registered
697 Posts
During WWTT, the OSS agents preferred the 32 acp because it was more accurate and more reliable than the 380. My wife carried a 32 PP for several years and just switched to a BERSA 380 6 months ago. A real sleeper deal. She has a Bersa in 22 lr for practice. Similar controls as the PP and identical between the two Bersas.

Years ago, I was carrying the 32 on my hip for all round carry as a camp gun. I had shot my buck the night before and was just tagging along when one of the kids wounded a small buck. My buddy told me to track it down and kill it (with the kid). We tracked it about a mile and found it under a tree. It started to get up and I shot it with the .32. Hit it in the spine, between the shoulder blades with a Glaser. We had to throw out one shoulder, both sets of ribs and the chest cavity just drained out-no heart, or lungs.

In my opinion, you want to carry it, know the limitations: I won't quibble.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I only own 3 pistols in .32 Cal, a 1935A and a 1935S in 7.65 French, and an old K frame Smith in .32/20, any of them I would trust before a .32 ACP. If I had to chose one for carry, it would be the K frame Smith followed by the 1935S. But I don't have to choose, so I carry an AMT Back Up in one of four calibers. .40 S&W, .357 Sig. .38 Super, or .45 ACP. If all I had was a .32 ACP. I would not hesitate to carry that. After all any firearm beats a club or knife.

[NOTE:] The AMT uses one frame for all calibers, just change barrels, slides, recoil springs and Magazines.]

Lee

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
I'm with Larry. I have 2 32 ACP guns and carry either when my S&W al frame 38 is too bulky. I think the 32 ACP is more than adequate, for defensive CCW use.

From what I see at the two ranges I practice at, my colt pocket pistols out shoot all the 40+ auto that stop by over the years. But remember that missing with a high cap 40 plus, makes a lot of noise and will send most would-be on their way.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I carry a Kel-Tec p32 frequently in places that are "unfriendly" to firearms. I carry in a pocket holster in my back pocket (my wallet is in my left front pocket) and it looks just like any wallet. I far prefer to carry one of my subcompact 9s, but it is better than nothing. As an added benefit it is a great deterrent to the "superman syndrome", which is nearly always fatal.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
I VOTE For the .32 as a CCW gun. In gravest extreme- shoot twice, three times or until the Mope falls away from the front sight! One-Shot STOPS RARELY Occur with any handgun despite the TV scenarios we must endure.

A good set of "Stones" will add much to whatever CCW gun a person has on hand when the need arises. Body language is quickly UNDERSTOOD by Mopes about to be shot, REPEATEDLY!

Webley

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,489 Posts
I had a friend carrying a .32 of some sort on a hog hunt, a long time ago.

He shot a pig in the shoulder, from a paced-off 200+ yards or so with his .308 Win, over the hood of my 68' Bronco. Pig dropped on the spot, but was still 'wiggling' when we drove up.

His little (kel-tek?) 32 was stoked with Cor-bon .32 ACP loads, and he put one in the skull, at the base of an ear. The bullet, much to my surprise, and possibly the pig's as well, exited above the eye on the opposite side. Needless to say, the pig's problems were immediately solved.

With the right ammo, I wouldn't want to take a round behind the ear. Other scenarios..... may yield different results.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Along with the Bersa .32 I also own a Bersa Thunder .380 and a Ruger SR9c 9mm, all are carry guns.
I trust them all and know that they will all hurt someone who attacks me. I am glad to hear there are others with a .32 for carry.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.