Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious because I just don't see much discussion of the Kimbers in .22LR. I've had my M82 Custom Classic (I think it was called) for near 40 years. Claro walnut stock with an ebony fore end tip and a joy to shoot. It's accurate beyond exceptional and my favorite. Anyone else have and/or like them?

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
Those were nothing but FIRST CLASS. A friend of mine with twin boys ordered Left and Right handed M82s with their birthday as the serial numbers. Great rifles and great shooters. First class gun company, too.
The first of the Model 84s were mighty sweet, too.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,995 Posts
Yup - got one!
It's the Kimber of Oregon model 82C Classic with stainless fluted barrel, blued action, carlo walnut stock, mfg'd 1997-1998 and with both 4-shot and 5-shot magazines. Dotes on the more expensive ammo.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Just curious because I just don't see much discussion of the Kimbers in .22LR. I've had my M82 Custom Classic (I think it was called) for near 40 years. Claro walnut stock with an ebony fore end tip and a joy to shoot. It's accurate beyond exceptional and my favorite. Anyone else have and/or like them?
Over the years, I've own three Kimber of Oregon: Their Model 82 in: .22 LR, .22 WMR, and one in .22 Hornet (Series "S" Grade). All were excellent rifles!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Yep. I still hunt with my Model 82. Most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned. Outshoots my son’s Anschutz and the Anschutz has double set triggers! Bought mine in 1981 after finishing graduate school. Put a Leupold 3x9 rim fire on it and never looked back. Shoots SuperX well but really loves Eley Tenex. Fantastic rifle!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Kimber of Oregon Custom Classic 84 in 223. It is almost too pretty to
take outside, bright blue metal and it has the most beautiful wood of any rifle I
have owned. With the right load it will stack rounds at 50 yards, the only
distance I have been able to shoot at lately. It sure upgrades the neighborhood
in the safe! I had an 82 Mini for a time, good rifle, made way for something else
that I "had to have or die!"
Bill

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Contrary to what is common internet theory the Yonkers guns were pretty special too, my wife shot a Hunter HS for silhouette for a couple of years and it grouped as good as any 22 target rifle I've ever owned. I had a high grade sporter that was exceptionally accurate as well.
The reason we sold them was two part, neither one of us like the stock or the balance of the HS, I sold the high grade because after owning it a short period of time I had it at the range one day and a complete stranger offered me more than double what I paid for it which was no small amount of coin, the gun had spectacular wood and engraving but I couldn't resist.
Kimbers are very accurate, the ones I like are the high grade safe queens, just like centerfires I'd rather have a utilitarian synthetic stocked Tikka or Sako for hunting or an Anschutz for competition.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
There was a guy at our local range that had a Kimber and used to tear up the other guys in rimfire events that they held every few months.

I was always impressed with it.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The reason I wanted a Kimber of Oregon was simple, I was born in and
live in Oregon! Leupold scopes from Beaverton Oregon live here as well.
Bill

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
There are 60 Kimber of Oregon rifles for sale now at gunsinternational dot com. QUALITY GUNS never go down in price. Never! Kimber made a very high quality gun, but not enough support from potential customers.
I had a great customer (another business) that wanted something special for his twin boys, at that time about six years old. Both were shooting and one was left handed. Kimber made matching, right and left hand M82 Super Americas, .22LR with their birthday as the serial numbers. He agonized over the price ($1885/pair) but sent in the deposit and was thrilled to get them about a year later.
You can never pay too much, only buy too early. Quality guns never lose.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Loved the feel and look of an old Kimber Cascade...kept it for years.

Not the most accurate for the money...strikingly pretty and more than accurate enough.

About 1985 traded a Seecamp .32acp..even...for it. He wanted to go big-bore and I wanted to be rid of a jam prone .32 I did’t trust.

To be honest, bought an ugly Krico .22LR that would out shoot it by a bit at the same time…..never missed the Krico, do miss the pretty Cascade.

Not really my fault hurricane took it all way in 2005 and I really could not afford to replace both of them….so I bought a lightly used Rem. 540X (never going to be a pretty rifle)for a lot less money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts