Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a Nosler 68 gr HP BT @ MV 3700 fps out of a 26" barrel, slightly under 60,000 psi...1.5" high scope.
+2"@100,0"@200,-0.8"@300,-9.2"@400
Do you think it can be done? You betcha! Don't show me figures without
pressures! The books are full of Wildcats that don't cut the mustard with published data.
Best Regards from the Hammock....James

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I tried to reinvent the wheel back in '81.  Decided to build something that "had never been done"  Little did I know that virtually every case ever made had been concieved had been wildcatted into every conceivable form already.

My hotrod?  I built a .22-06 Improved, the typical Ackley .30-06 case simply necked to .22 caliber!  Built my hotrod on a VZ24 action, a 26" E.R. Shaw barrel with a 1:10 twist, and a Bishop stock, Canjar trigger, and the old Beuhler safety.  Slick looking rig, with a heavy sporter barrel and classic style stock.  Thought I was building the king of coyote rifles for use on Southern Oregon desert yotes.

In the shooting tunnel at OIT, in Klamath Falls, Or. I test fired this sizzler.  Three shots at 100 yards didn't even register on a 14"x14" target!  This after careful bore-sighting of the Redfield 3x9.  Moved the target to 50 yards... still no registered hits after three rounds.  Moved again to 35 yards... looked like a shotgun had hit it!  My Hornady 55g SPBT's were coming apart in flight.

Even had FMJ's come apart once I got them up to 4300 fps.  I was crazy then, and the pressures must have been through the roof!  That gun never did shoot anything well over about 3900 fps.  Got some acceptable groups at around 4,000, but basically ended up with a glorified .220 Swift for velocity, when it shot well and bullets held together!

What a lesson!  That rifle, the dies, brass and everything but the scope went away the next spring at a local gun show!  I figured at that point there was a reason that there wasn't a '06 based cartridge in .22 caliber on the market.

Just a lesson I learned nearly 20 years ago now... one that was an expensive teacher.  

Marshall

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall..Great Minds Run Parallels, but they say that about Crazy People Also!..You were on the right path with case capacity (62 grs +/-). I think your twist was too high. We can stabilize the 70 gr Speer in 1 in 14 with velocity above 3000 fps. The real problem is that only real slow burn powders have come out later. We have been able to blow, just off the muzzle, anything with a thinner jacket of .032", .035" is even better. Parker shot some copper stuff with only a little lead up front. This round uses 55 grs of IMR 7828 in a 5 Expansion Ratio barrel 26" long. The shoulder angles of the case intersect inside the case neck, which we have found reduces throat erosion a great deal.The flame temp on 7828 is somewhat mild. About the only thing this cartridge would be good for is maybe a long range varmint round. Remember "The cows my come and the cows may go, but the Bull goes on Forever" But, ain't it fun!
Best Regards from the Hmmock....James

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am new here. i have wildcatted for over thirty years. My current projects are trying to create a 25X38 Special because i have unlimited 38 brass. The 22 Rem. Jet necked t 17 cal. And I am trying to have a custom mini falling block made up for my small caliber experiments. My biggest game are big squirrels.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Used to have 15gr hollow points blow up out of my 17 Rem way back when. Loaded to max they should have been seriously sizzling along but all I got was puffs of grey debris about 20ft in front of the muzzle as they vaporised. then got my sensible head on and dropped them below 4000fps and they accounted for a lot of rabbits, magpies and crows.
Hit a magpie with one and there was very little left recognisable other than black and white feathers.
Only built the one wildcat and that came true to my plans and is my favourite calibre. 257 on steroids.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts