Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved to a new place first of October and immediately started having leg problems. GREAT...6 acres next to the Brazos River and I can barely walk!

Turned out I had a vascular issue in my right leg that was critical and left leg that was severe. There was also pretty bad nerve damage in my right foot that two Neurologists have no idea how it happened. Could have been from lack of blood flow...right hip replacement almost 3 years ago...right hip nerve block. Three old broken lumbar vertebrae...they have no clue. Three Stents in the arteries supplying the blood to my legs seems to have done the trick. I still have numbness and tingling in my right foot due to the nerve damage, but it is so much better and I feel better than I have for the last 10 years.

Much of my reloading stuff was packed by others and for sure unloaded into the new garage in a very big mish/mash of boxes. My wife had them do it that almost blocked my from my bench and cabinets...lol

Since I have been feeling better and have gotten the place mowed a few times (Gulf Coast of Texas....stuff has been growing), I decided to tackle some of the garage today since I am supposed to social distance. Not hard when your nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.

Anyway, I dug out all of the bags of empty shotgun hulls I have (there may be more in unseen boxes or in my truck toolbox) and bagged them up by brand. For my favored 12 gauge 3/4 oz. load, they all load the same, but the crimp is a tiny bit different.

Got all my powder that I know of on the shelf...although, I think I have a few more pounds in a box around. I don't have quite the room to spread out as I did at my other house, but think I can make it work.

Tomorrow I will start on Rifle supplies. I have been looking for a couple of things for two months with no luck...so it could get ugly. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
We are not only social distancing but it has been raining! So, ya, some time at the reloading bench. I'm off work because of this and my wife and I have been cutting and piling brush. If this is a taste of retirement, I aint gonna! Good luck with your set up and hope your out enjoying the six acres soon.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I have been taking advantage of the situation and getting jobs done that have waiting for the end of shearing season.
Lots of cleaning and organising from our unplanned move last year.
Over the next few weeks i hope to get my New to me
car hoist running a couple of sheds rebuilt and my metal laths up and running.
Some fences built and repaired , bore pump finished so I can stop carting water .
Lots of work to be done on the old house we are in.
We have a deal we're we fix up the property,mainly the fixing up the house to pay for rent.
Gives us an excellent opportunity to save up for a farm.
My wife has started selling stuff I have accumulated to make a bit towards this goal,going to ramp that up.
It has gone from a situation that was a nightmare to work out were to start to being nice to have lots to do.
Keep thinking it won't be long until I get my shooting buggy going ,my dream gun built and we are on a shooting /farm finding holiday .

Of course if things get to bad there is always utube and neglectfullness.

Cheers and hope your foot gets better.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Loading ammunition.
Cleaning and organizing.
Repairing a friends trailer so I can use it to hall dirt for a new greenhouse the neighbor and I are building.
Working.....a little to pay for renewing licenses, seems like everything comes due this time of year.
Had a muscle spasm in my lower back early this morning so I'm laying around today.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,452 Posts
Making casting alloy, casting and lubing bullets, reloading for when this is over and my "daughter" comes over to shoot again. The girl can run me out of 357's, but she wants to learn how to reload them so . . .

Mounted a new scope, moved the "old" scope to another rifle, did some sighting in, shot a couple ground squirrels off the deck :mad:

Going to work as usual, but we get screened before we go in to make sure we don't have a temperature over "normal" or we get sent to the "Quick Care" and get tested. It seems that coal is vital in the production of electricity :rolleyes: Who'da thought?

RJ

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Loading ammunition.
Cleaning and organizing.
Repairing a friends trailer so I can use it to hall dirt for a new greenhouse the neighbor and I are building.
Working.....a little to pay for renewing licenses, seems like everything comes due this time of year.
Had a muscle spasm in my lower back early this morning so I'm laying around today.
Muscle spasm.....I cleaned out the chicken coop this morning and about hit my knees to the ground. I feel your pain there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been doing various chores and things around the house that I put off for one reason or another, most likely because I didn't think I had the time or didn't feel like doing 'em. Some I still don't feel like doing but I definitely have the time now so to speak. My "to do list" is growing longer a lot faster than I can mark 'em off, but I'm still able to read the list and do what appeals to me at the moment so that is a good thing, and I'm blessed that I am able to most things. Stay well out there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nothing much gun related. I did clean all of my guns the other day, but I don't have that many guns. It took me an hour. Mostly I've been working. I'm a writer, so I've been writing, doing a little marketing, just stuff like that. I'm doing what I always do. One thing, I usually do a lot of talks and book signings, and they have all been cancelled. Which isn't too bad. A nice break for me. I've been going out walking regularly, but otherwise staying pretty close to home. I also play the ukulele, so I've been playing the ukulele and I tap dance, so I've been tap dancing. It has been quite relaxing.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Since I've been practicing my modified form of "social distancing" for the last 3 decades or so, I've been doing anything and everything I would have done otherwise. Right now I am reading this thread.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What am I doing, lets see. I had hoped to decamp to Florida and expedite our relocation to a house bought there, but the governor of Fla says not so fast as we are not able to do the 14 day thing. Yesterday the Hamilton Co. officials put the same restrictions in effect so no waiting it out upstate. Where does that leave me. Sitting at home taking my temperature at least twice daily and every time I cough or sneeze. I have had at least 2 secondary exposures and one primary for sure. So I sit here with fingers crossed on both hands waiting for the ups man to bring me parts,powder and primers so that I can do something besides watch Cuomo Jr. rattle on. In the mean time I have appointed myself commissioner and sole member of the New York Metropolitan Association. As such I have posted a series of guidelines for those of you who may wish to venture to our area. I have posted them in the humor section (at the risk of being chastised for double posting) so as to insure they are taken for what the are, HUMOR!
Stay safe, stay healthy and most of all stay out of New York.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Since I've been practicing my modified form of "social distancing" for the last 3 decades or so, I've been doing anything and everything I would have done otherwise. Right now I am reading this thread.
hey!!!! i've been practicing for 8 years!!!!! i don't do "social distancing", instead i yell "get off my lawn!!!!!". lol

nothing has changed, i still do the same things.

·
Registered
156 Posts
merely lamenting the fate of social distancing. Remember back in the day all you needed to do was relase a juicy fart and people would clear out. Now you simply fake a cough...

ironically coughing in public can get you accused of, and arrested for terrorism

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Since we haven't had many "reported" cases of this virus we are under no strict shelter-in-place legal orders. Of course, all the same safety procedures and warnings to "self-quarantine" are still recommended. Going to Walmart is the highlight of my weekdays, if for nothing more than to see what else is not there for me to buy. Hand sanitizer goes everywhere with me these days.

I haven't been to the range yet and don't even know if it's open, but I would guess it is. Maybe I'll take some 38spl and head out there tomorrow. I made a little 220V extension cord project for my clothes dryer today. I had a question for my neighbor who is an electrical engineer. I said "come on out your garage door. I'll meet you in the driveway. It'll only take a second". So I went over there with my cord and my 25' tape measure locked on 6'. He's pretty smart - he got it right away. I knew he would.

·
Super Moderator
8,653 Posts
We are in as near total lockdown as it is possible to be. Gas prices have dropped to about $1.20 a litre from close to $2 and I can't get out and fill my tanks. The police are enforcing the lockdown with fines starting at $100 for contavening the rules and my local fuel station is at a major junction likely to be watched over.
Well, this place is certainly getting tidier. I don't believe I will run out of jobs to do. We have emptied the old stable of firewood this winter and I have a supply down in the wood that needs splitting, hauling and stacking in the stable for next year. I have adequate ammo to satisfy my needs here at home but obviously cannot get to my other shooting areas although I can actually see one of them from my yard. Frustrating and worse because one lady farmer tells me on the mobile that a fox has cleared her hen pen out over night.
I mow about 3 acres of lawns , orchard and walk ways around the wood about every 7 days. I have another logs store in the wood to build but that might take two of us and my normal part time helper is locked down as well, but I think I can start to lay the base. Then of course summer time started this weekend and will need to get the small vegetable patch sown and then work out how we will plant up our normal show of summer flowers even if the plant nurseries are still in business in the next few weeks.
Whatever, y'allll take great care and stay safe

·
Registered
7,771 Posts
I have rifles spread all about the house (unloaded). So, I can pretty much look and fondle at will....lol. Yes, safety first always, but keeps me amused. "Simple things please simple people":D

This room, now.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,771 Posts

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,796 Posts
Other than trying not to drive the wife nuts with closed in proximity for days, been spending most time on the computer and re-reading books in the shelf, Keeping those pesky pigeons out of the bird feeders is somewhat entertaining - all my air pistols and rifles are the pump type with iron sights which are very difficult to see with these old eyes. Frustrating to watch them just fly away for a while and then come back. Just online ordered a semi and full auto rifle with a reflex sight to get their attention a little better. Have a 3x9 air rifle scope on hand to mount if the reflex doesn't help. Wonder how those dumb birds will react when shot at full auto? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
Into the 3rd week...warned,we (just the dog, cat, wife and myself) started a bit early.
DSCN2638 by Robert Dean, on Flickr
Introvert by nature,so not real hard on me....wife is much more of an extrovert, harder on her.

So 12 things that might help in a semi-lock down...and if it isn't were you are yet,trust me...someone will bring it to your area.

1. Cooking...got nothing but time....so may as well make some of those good old-time meals that took all day to make.
2. Clean/disinfect everything normally touched twice a day. Not a bad idea to wash your hands everytime you pass a sink. User to think grandmother was kind of odd for doing that, but she never got sick.
3.Shooting quiet airguns in the back yard when I just have to get some trigger time.
4. Spend one day sitting on a "Homerbucket" cane-pole fishing. Aren't in a group, no contact with people, no-harm-no-foul so far as the officals are concerned. Only bait hooks if you really want to clean fish.
5. When you do go somehere (alone...keep the social distance), go everywhere with disinfectant...can be a simple as a bleach solution wash rag in a zip lock bag.
6. Don't trust a package or mail...disinfect that too.
7. Lots of dog walking (to help work off #1)...and wonder, "How can she make 2 pounds of poo from 1 pound of food?
8. Clearing out of the front room once or twice a day for wife's video exercise/line dance/ Zumba sessions. (also back to #1)
9. Old movie night....we tend to pick a decade rather than a type of movie.
10. What we do order/get delivered ONLY from smnaller/local places (who are hurting the worst).
11. Rediscover the nearly lost art of reading.
12. Playing either a board game or cards to see who washes the dishes.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts