Shooters Forum banner

141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Today was the first day in close to 2 weeks that I spent in the gun cave. The weather had been pretty good around here for the most part for a change, no rain anyways but a bit on the windy side at times. Still doing projects around the house, but spent the last few days out in my storage shed cleaning up, straightening up, doing this or that (piddling for the most part). Today the weather returned to it's old self (raining, pretty windy) so I de-prime 700+ 204R brass I got almost free, next on the list is to SS tumble them, then inspect and go from there. Weather people are calling for rain for the next several days, so I'll be piddling in the gun cave for the next few days.

Stay safe & well.
I'm in the gun cave almost everyday. I have plenty of projects, but some days I think I just move things back and forth from bench to bench! :D

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
The wife and I woke up early and went turkey hunting seen a small flock with a couple of Jakes but the cold weather shut down there strutting. They didn't even respond to a call.
Seen lots of deer antelope and coyotes, they made it through the winter just fine. Of course the day I don't bring a rifle I see a female coyote and four half grown pups.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have been reloading, made some tooling and a new seating stem for my 9mm die.
All my guns are cleaned and lubed and I have updated my ammo inventory and reloading component inventory.
The pantry is nearly full and the freezer is stocked though I am a little low on Brussels sprouts and Cauliflower. We still have some canned goods that we put up three years ago so food is no problem. I've got paint for the house if the temps go up a bit and it stops raining.
Oh! I also have wood to make two more ammo cabinets, the plans and everything I need to build them. I am waiting for better weather so I don't get sawdust all over the shop.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
The wife and I woke up early and went turkey hunting seen a small flock with a couple of Jakes but the cold weather shut down there strutting. They didn't even respond to a call.
Seen lots of deer antelope and coyotes, they made it through the winter just fine. Of course the day I don't bring a rifle I see a female coyote and four half grown pups.

Looks like a nice day though! Glad y’all got out! Sometimes it’s just nice to watch the song dogs move around. I’ve run into many here in the plains that won’t come in close enough for a shot. Sometimes it’s cool to watch their behavior!

I’m going to take the 4x4 out tomorrow again...

Just rebuilt the old utility trailer. Pulled the old deck out, cleaned, primed, and painted the whole thing. Put a nice new deck on it.

Cut the old tongue off as it was damaged severely. That’s was a giant pain. The manufacturer really welded it on good! Put a new tongue, a swing back jack with sand foot, and new tail lights too! And welded on several tie down loops as well!

A new set of tires and a spare now too. Had a blow out on it a month or so ago...

About $650 in total to rebuild it!

The only thing left is we need to reinforce the ramp gate. It isn’t handling the weight of the 4x4 going up and down very well. The grate on it is starting to bend in.

And I want a spare tire mount on it. Currently just load the spare into the truck bed.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Made a kick *** roast yesterday too...

Best roast I’ve ever eaten. Didn’t use enough carrots though. Doesn’t matter if you like carrots or not. Everyone likes carrots cooked with roast!!

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Caught a dozen nice crappie at the lake today, although the missus out-fished me 2 to 1, easily. We threw back a bunch, as well. Would have been a much better day, but the wind was up and my boat has a lot of free-board, so it's like a big sail when it's windy.

My wife makes this amazing salad with tempura battered fish...that's what we're having for lunch tomorrow. :)

Turns out there were 16.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Looks like a nice day though! Glad y’all got out! Sometimes it’s just nice to watch the song dogs move around. I’ve run into many here in the plains that won’t come in close enough for a shot. Sometimes it’s cool to watch their behavior!

I’m going to take the 4x4 out tomorrow again...

Just rebuilt the old utility trailer. Pulled the old deck out, cleaned, primed, and painted the whole thing. Put a nice new deck on it.

Cut the old tongue off as it was damaged severely. That’s was a giant pain. The manufacturer really welded it on good! Put a new tongue, a swing back jack with sand foot, and new tail lights too! And welded on several tie down loops as well!

A new set of tires and a spare now too. Had a blow out on it a month or so ago...

About $650 in total to rebuild it!

The only thing left is we need to reinforce the ramp gate. It isn’t handling the weight of the 4x4 going up and down very well. The grate on it is starting to bend in.

And I want a spare tire mount on it. Currently just load the spare into the truck bed.
My cousin has 91 calves on the ground and still expecting another 35, coyotes don't get the pass at his request regardless of age. Being a dog lover I occasionally have twinges of remorse killing young ones but I've seen first hand what their capable of being in the pest control business so the twinges don't last long.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
My cousin has 91 calves on the ground and still expecting another 35, coyotes don't get the pass at his request regardless of age. Being a dog lover I occasionally have twinges of remorse killing young ones but I've seen first hand what their capable of being in the pest control business so the twinges don't last long.
Yeah, I’ve seen what they do too. Lived in rural areas my whole life.

I’ve lost 1 dog myself. Other family members and friends have lost many more.

One friend lost a dozen hens in one night not long ago. I hunted it for him the next day and got the culprits in a late afternoon stand laying down about 150 yards behind the house. The dogs almost stepped on me! They came in directly from behind me on the other side of a small mesquite bush!

I’ve got photos somewhere. I’ll have to find where I saved them. It was a big male and female. I shot him at about 7 yards! Then she took off to about 50 and looked back for him.

I too feel bad sometimes. I almost took home a new Black and Tan coonhound today... saw a couple turning him over to the shelter when I drove by... I have one dog right now, a Male Brittany Spaniel. He is mad at me. He has a severe sprang in his “wrist” and was ordered to be kept from running and jumping for 2 weeks. Those are his two favorite things to do... Thinking about adopting another soon. Our small local shelter has so many dogs...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Yeah, I’ve seen what they do too. Lived in rural areas my whole life.

I’ve lost 1 dog myself. Other family members and friends have lost many more.

One friend lost a dozen hens in one night not long ago. I hunted it for him the next day and got the culprits in a late afternoon stand laying down about 150 yards behind the house. The dogs almost stepped on me! They came in directly from behind me on the other side of a small mesquite bush!

I’ve got photos somewhere. I’ll have to find where I saved them. It was a big male and female. I shot him at about 7 yards! Then she took off to about 50 and looked back for him.

I too feel bad sometimes. I almost took home a new Black and Tan coonhound today... saw a couple turning him over to the shelter when I drove by... I have one dog right now, a Male Brittany Spaniel. He is mad at me. He has a severe sprang in his “wrist” and was ordered to be kept from running and jumping for 2 weeks. Those are his two favorite things to do... Thinking about adopting another soon. Our small local shelter has so many dogs...
I've seen domestic dogs that have been mauled by coyotes, heartbreaking, bites mostly on the hindquarters and neck.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Speaking of coyotes. I just came back in from a late night walk.

I haven’t seen coyotes in our neighborhood for a couple years. But for the last 3-4 years, several foxes have moved in.

My dad and I went on an evening walk and went around one of the local elementary schools that is backed up to a large field (we all live in a neighborhood on the very edge of town). On the backside of that school, we saw a figure walk into the bushes. I said it was a fox. He thought a cat. Turns out... it was a gray fox...

That fox stepped out of the bush and walked alongside us about 7 feet away for maybe 100 yards or so. It was so weird. I’ve never had any luck trying to hunt fox here. And now we have one walking next to us like nothing. It had a beautiful coat on it. I tried to scramble for my phone to record some of it but by the time I got the camera running, he dove back into the bushes and cacti!

There are at least 4 of them in the neighborhood. About 3-4 months ago, I went out front and I had 4 of them sitting in my front yard. I thought they were big stray cats (we have a lot of those as well). They were all grey foxes..

Never had any issues with foxes myself and nobody I know has. But I’m sure they do get into things they’re not supposed to or that we don’t want them to. We don’t have any rabbits in the yard anymore. Or rats. And the stray cats are fewer. I didn’t know they could climb like cats. Apparently grey fox have claws like domestic cats and can climb trees, fences, homes, etc...

The rats must put up a fight though. Rats here got big enough to carry off the traps! Got to nail them down!

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
NEAT!! N. Florida has Gray foxes and I loved to watch them. That fox was showing a hunting behavior. They walk along with horse and cows, too. If a mouse spooks, the fox has him. They leap way up and come down with all four feet in a piledriver mode to stun lizards and voles and birds.
Foxes were the primary rabies carrier when I was a kid, but bats seem to have taken over that duty now.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Raccoons are the number one carrier of rabies in the US by a large margin.
Only ever killed one fox and that was by accident, super easy to catch in a live trap and they can't find there way back if you relocate them more than 5 miles away. They are very susceptible to predation from coyotes so I don't relocate them anywhere that is known for a high coyote population.
I see one around my place a couple of times a week, she keeps the rabbit population in check and the neighbors cats from becoming a nuisance.
Like Trent I love seeing them, don't let them burrow and nest under your porch or patio though, they have fleas and will give them to your dog or cats.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
We have at least one grey fox living near our neighborhood. Our small neighborhood borders very large tracts of desert on all 4 sides, and I've seen foxes many, many times darting across the residential road going from one yard to another. I wouldn't hunt them just as I wouldn't hunt wolves.

Bobcats too. In about 2006 or so, my daughter had a flock of ducks and chickens. Two drakes were separated from the ducks because of their high testosterone levels. I came out at daybreak one morning because the dogs were going wild, and I found one of the drakes torn apart. I saw some movement on the other side of the fence and a bobcat, as calm as could be despite the ruckus the dogs were creating, looked me in the eyes before slinking off.

Worse are raccoons. Chicken killers on steroids.

Reactions: Trent12

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I’ve never seen a bobcat in NM. I know they’re here. I saw someone post a photo of a beautiful one that had a blue tint on his coat. It was somewhere close to Alamogordo and Las Cruses. It was playing with the decoy on the guys caller. He let it walk.

To hunt bobcat and fox in NM requires a license that cost more than I want to pay. Especially with my success rate at trying to call them in. All I get are coyotes. That I’ve seen that is... and I don’t have much desire to hunt bobcat or fox anyways. I’ve only purchased the license one time.

Seen a few Mt lions here in NM. Mostly closer to Alamogordo, Las Cruses, and in the Guadalupes. Seen several bobcats in Texas!

I’ve thought about buying a tag for Mt Lion. I never seem to have a rifle handy when one does show up though. So...

Did go out riding the 4x4 this morning. Did about 3.5 hours. Covered about 60 miles of trail! Saw lots of rattlesnakes! It’s that time of year so be careful out there!

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in a subdivision at the far south end of Santa Fe. This guy was on the neighbor's roof back in November. For awhile we had her and two kittens roaming the neighborhood. Haven't seen them since December, but the coyotes are sure making a lot of noise lately. Been a lot of missing cat notices lately too!

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,452 Posts
Working, our OT did get cut back, I've only been clocking 42.5-43 hours a week lately.
We're still on 4-12's and all the OT you can stand but no more than six (6) consecutive days in a row. I'm letting the "Greedy Gus" bunch have all they want so they can pay for all their new toys :rolleyes:

At least once a week I get asked when I'm getting a new truck/quad/razor/boat/camper. New? The only thing I've bought new in the last 35 years are tools and guns.

RJ

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
We're still on 4-12's and all the OT you can stand but no more than six (6) consecutive days in a row. I'm letting the "Greedy Gus" bunch have all they want so they can pay for all their new toys :rolleyes:

At least once a week I get asked when I'm getting a new truck/quad/razor/boat/camper. New? The only thing I've bought new in the last 35 years are tools and guns.

RJ
Well. It might be the time to buy new if you ever wanted to!

I’ve been checking motorcycles and ATV’s like crazy. The bike I want is down to $14k from $19k new. The ATV I want is down to $12.5k from $15k. Some money savings there. But I’m waiting another month. Hoping they go lower or the used market has some goodies that folks have to sell!

I’m also loosely eyeing boats... I’d love a nice Triton or Ranger walleye boat. Gunna have to buy that used though.

I’ll have a new toy by end of summer at the latest!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm in a subdivision at the far south end of Santa Fe. This guy was on the neighbor's roof back in November. For awhile we had her and two kittens roaming the neighborhood. Haven't seen them since December, but the coyotes are sure making a lot of noise lately. Been a lot of missing cat notices lately too!

Picture didn’t come through for me. Bobcats?

I’m told bobcats won’t eat or kill domestic cats usually. I may be wrong on that though!

I know coyotes will eat your cats. Best friend lost his favorite cat to coyotes about 4 years back now.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts