Shooters Forum banner

161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmmm, not sure what's up with the pic. Maybe it's too big....didn't realize it was so big when I inserted it. I'll see if I can cut it down a little . Ya, nice bobcat on the neighbor's roof.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Went over to Gary's farm today to collect some llama poo for my garden, got plenty of help from a couple of young bulls. Mom made sure she wasn't missing anything either. I usually have some cow cakes for them, they were looking in my pockets before I finished.
Also went down and shot at 50 yards with my pcp airgun, I'll post some pics of that as well in the airgun section.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Got some loading boxes in today. I was getting low. :D

One range has opened, It has several long range areas, but is pricier than I like to spend.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
This social distancing is keeping me around the house working on the honey do list which is almost complete ( I hope). Doing quite a bit of reloading after my "chores" are finished for the day. For the past 2 days I've watched what I believe
is a red fox walking through the neighbors yard. And a few minutes after he/she goes by here comes a raccoon he shows up everyday around the same time 2PM I watch the parade and then return to my reloading. Which will be coming to a halt very soon because I'm running out of primers,

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Well...I was looking to go fishing tomorrow (still will probably be able to) and shooting on Friday, but we've had pretty good thunderstorms with substantial rain starting yesterday afternoon. The range I was wanting to go to becomes a swamp for a few days after a good rain. Oh well.

Started prepping 9.3X62 last night. I bought some new/unprimed PPU and can't say I'm overly impressed. I got a bag of 50 and they did send 60 so I am grateful for that. The necks seem to be pretty thin as a number of them were dented on arrival. There also seemed to be a substantial lip on the outside of each case. It comes off nicely with my Lyman De-burring tool, but annoying nonetheless.

Any suggestions on powders for 270 & 285 gr. bullets? Looking at the Hodgdon site, I have WW760, BLC-2, H4350, both 4895's, H335, and Varget. I should maybe ask this in another thread.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Things have settled into a routine where we are doing just fine. What with Amazon Fresh and ordering the groceries from the local market for parking lot delivery (you go to a specific space, call that you're there, and they load your order in the back, all without getting out of the truck). The weather is finally getting better. Tomorrow we should hit 80° for the first time in 6 months so we'll be starting to eat lunch on the back deck and enjoy the sunshine shortly.

Got a wild hair yesterday and loaded up 500 rds of 45 Colt for my leverguns on my 750 in just over an hour. Even though I had 200 more cases and plenty of components, I decided to ration out my reloading so I stopped. Unfortunately, this morning the wife sent me down in the basement for some stuff and I spied my press sitting there forlornly. In a moment of weakness, I broke down and ran the last 200 rds so I'm all finished with 45 Colt for now. Then I converted to .357mag for some more levergun loads I need and I will start on them next week (I'm busy with things the rest of this week).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yesterday went out for a drive around the wood looking for any sign of a bear. Found where one had rolled a small log onto a road and munched on some ants. they don't seem to mind a little fiber in there diet and a good portion of the log was chewed up.
Today I started splitting a stack of rounds I picked up that the power comp had left beside the rd after rerunning a line. Between myself and neighbor we got about cord ea. I have a gas spliter 25 ton so no more by hand since my back and shoulder went south. I just keep the maul around for show.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was planning on going fishing yesterday but with mostly gray skies and some sprinkles, I loaded up 6 RF guns and headed for the range. Spent a few minutes to make sure a couple new mags for the Ruger MKIV functioned, then moved on to a 10/22 build with a new stock I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done so the action/barrel and the stock work better together like they are supposed to. Still needs some more work for sure. Lastly, I piddled around with another 10/22 LVT I'm testing ammo to find the preferred one, and learn how to shot this little (aka light) bugger. Need to work on the front rest bag and change out the scope as i don't like the Sightron SII 36x all that well. Gives me something to piddle with anyways.

Today, I piddled with a couple CF rifle stocks, changed the scope on the first 10/22 mentioned above, broke down another CF rifle getting it ready for a barrel swap, and gathered up all the other "stuff" needed to swap out barrels on a total of 2 CF's. I had already broken the other CF down to the barreled action.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Mmmmm.
The house smells like drying venison jerky.
Found the last paper bag of 8 year old back straps hiding in the bottom of one of the deep freezers.
Half the bag got cut up, marinaded and is drying now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know nothing about this quarantine stuff nothings changed for me since this has started still working 60 + hours a week and going to peoples homes to do the work of course some of the older folks ask us to put the work off till the end of May now. Not complaining just wish everyone would come out and play...lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
New here to this forum from the once great state of New York. No school, no work, the wife and I are home with our two youngest children. I've been expanding my cooking skills and preparing for our move to North Carolina in June. I took some time out to visit a new LGS where I got a smoking deal on a Sako Mannlicher stocked carbine in 7mm Mag. from 1974-75. Real sweet, topped with a Leupold VX1 4X12X40 scope for the measly sum of $700.00 OTD. I went to the range the following day and got 1-1/2" group using factory Remington Core-Lokts. I'm sure once I unpack my reloading stuff in NC I could get better groups with some home rolled fodder.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Welcome sgtgeorge, from New Mexico

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Prepping a bunch of .270 brass and needed to anneal them. Benzomatic bottle almost empty and cannot get the right flame. GREAT!!

Went to Lowe's and picked up a bottle. I had my gloves and mask and was surprised at the number of people that did. This is a farming community and since I have been doing grocery pickup/delivery, I expected more of a free wheeling bunch of people. I knew where what I wanted was though and went in...out and done.

Turned out a spider or something had nested in the middle of my nozzle...good shot of compressed air and I got it going fine.

I did not buy gloves and masks special....I have always had a good supply of dust masks and I hate having sticky hands when doing some things so had a couple hundred cheap nitrile gloves.

Got em' annealed and they are in the tumbler now getting cleaned. Starting another thread in the Handloading section regarding an old powder...so follow me to there if you want. :D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Blue Angels just flew over my house. They were doing fly overs in the Houston Area. Pretty cool. They were supposed to go to Sugar Land, but I guess when you're going that fast you have to turn around. Sweet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had SS tumbled some 204R brass in recent history and the rains returned the other day, so I FL sized 3-400 of 'em and washed 'em to remove the lube, just have to trim/chamfer that 3-400, and FL size/process the remaining 6-700. I got just over a 1000 1x fired cases for the cost of postage, so I guess I can afford to spend the effort to process 'em even tho I don't need another 1000 cases to process. LOL

I got both of my new barrels mounted/attached to the actions, ordered a new stock for one and trying determine if a Boyds AT1 stock skinny barrel channel can handle a varmint contour (.800) and still have a enough wood left to actually mount the action to the stock and the forearm stay attached. :rolleyes: Boyds does not offer a heavy barrel option for the RAR centerfire, so one more issue to deal with. Going to a range buddy's house this afternoon so he can look at the setup and see if I'm whizzing in the wind with this idea or not.

Stay safe and well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had SS tumbled some 204R brass in recent history and the rains returned the other day, so I FL sized 3-400 of 'em and washed 'em to remove the lube, just have to trim/chamfer that 3-400, and FL size/process the remaining 6-700. I got just over a 1000 1x fired cases for the cost of postage, so I guess I can afford to spend the effort to process 'em even tho I don't need another 1000 cases to process. LOL
Hey, another 204R fan it looks like! I have a bunch of once fired brass I need to get working on too. Certainly not a 1000 of them though! Just picked up another 204R AR barrel from Shaw to get started on a build. Last one I did was with a Wilson barrel....gonna be hard to beat that one, but we'll try!:)

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
I'm running out of stuff to reload/prep. I just finished sizing/trimming my 25-06. It is tumbling now.

I have some 6mm Remington that needs trimming, but cannot find my pilot. One on order so will get to those once it's here next Tuesday. I guess I'll size and tumble until next week. Searching for a few bits of brass that I need.

It better rain soon so I'll have grass to mow....lol.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got the RAR action/barrel mounted in the Boyd's AT1 stock, took a bunch of material out of the forearm, but it fits and looks good. I'm going back to my range buddy's tomorrow to learn how to bed one of these suckers. LOL. Haven't touched the 204R brass again/yet, but it's not going anywhere until I move it.

It might snow in the upper elevations around here tonight, a cold rain has fallen since noonish. Lows of 34 tonight and tomorrow night. WTH??? It's early May, not early April. LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have been reloading 223. Mixed cases some with crimped primers that have to be reamed. Have used Benchmark, Tack and 844 powder, CCI primers and 55gr fmj bullets.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts