Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 7th and 9th "Cartidges of the World"
I have Wolfe "Wildcat Cartridges 1 & 2".

I would like a better catalog with dimentions.
Any suggestions?
TIA Clark

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Clark...I think the grand-daddy of all wildcat cartridge books are Parker Ackley's "Handbook For Shooters and Reloader, Vol 1 & 2" Not only are tons of wilcats listed and discussed, There are many good writeups on many subjects. I knew Parker and feel he did more advanced work on wildcats than anyone.
On page 275 of "Wildcat Cartridges" you might want to read one of my writeups from years ago on the .25 Improved Krag.
Best Regards, James

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Clark,

You might try "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions" by John Donnelly. It has extensive listings of obsolete, wildcat and commercial cartridges with forming and machining instructions. This guy makes cases on his lathe for some obsolete low pressure cartridges. About 50 or so pages in front with general case operations and forming tutorial and approximately 1000 pages of cartridge specs, measurements and forming instructions. Mr. Donnelly is into this stuff big time. Also goes into Metric Cartridges both wildcat and commercial.

It is from Stoeger Publishing Co., 55 Ruta CT, South Hackensack, NJ 07606

I think I paid about 35 bucks for it. The book is 2" thick.

Here is a link to it from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0883171368/ref=ase_nicholscartridge/107-1278206-8369349

Real eye candy for you, Clark. :biggrin:

Regards,

:cool:

(Edited by Contender at 11:21 pm on April 29, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
James,

Do you know of a book called "Ammunition Making"? It details commercial ammo making procedures.

Here's a neat site also:
<a href="http://www.oldcartridges.nu/

Thanks,

" target="_blank">http://www.oldcartridges.nu/

Thanks,

</a>

(Edited by Contender at 11:56 pm on April 29, 2001)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Contender...I should have also mentioned "The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions". It's a nice book, but some of his methods are up for question.
Somewhere, in my 30 year pile of books, I have Ed Matunas' book on factory ammo making. There are two places I will npt go again...one is in the plant where metallics are being made and the other is a textile mill! Everything is clicking, spining, jumping, whirling, and flashing!!! And, I will never go back into the primer plant!!!
Winchester-Western, at one time, gave guided tours through the ammo plant, but no more do to liabiliy.
best Regards, James
ps...the is an interesing link..did you notice they had .445 hulls?

(Edited by James Gates at 9:13 am on April 30, 2001)

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
James,

Yes, I noticed they have the 455 Webley cases for 15 bucks/100 doesn't seem like a bad price either.

Did you work with Matunas at all? I have one of his old Digest Books on Handloading. Did he work for Dupont or Lyman also?

Regards,

·
Registered
39 Posts
Contender, Ken Howells blue book "Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifle and Handgun", is a must have book, IMHO. It isn't inexpensive but it's a valuable resource.

Ken can be reached at [email protected], or was there a few years ago. He will give you particulars on his book and will sign it for you. Just call it his "blue book" and he'll know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Contender...Ed and I would bump into each other at Camp Perry, etc, however we were never what you would call friends. Ed worked with Lyman many years and I don't know about DuPont. Ed was somewhat stand offy and didn't have lots of company friends. He also like to hang with the "Powers", where we ran with the shooters. He did have a good head on manufacturing though.
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mr. Gates,

Do you still travel to Camp Perry?  I'm usually there for some part of the "summer games" helping my in-laws at Champion Shooters Supply from New Albany, Ohio.  Anyway, just reading through the above post and realized that I have enjoyed reading some of your works from the past in "Wildcat Cartridges."  Good reads!

Great to see you still sharing you knowledge.

redleg

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Redleg....No, I don't Go to Camp Perry anymore. At one time I would go up for 3 weeks, but since I retired I stay either in the woods or on the water down here.
Best Regards, James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts