Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm considering the purchase of a new big bore revolver but I can't decide which brand to go with.

I have had nothing but bad luck lately with Ruger. Everything from forcing cones cut to deep, cylinders that don't line up properly, and 2 gp-100's that just don't group well.

I had a 6" 686 once that I could take head shots on deer with complete confidence, but sold it because I was young and dumb, and didn't realize that it was something special.

Anyway, I'm looking at the new BFR Shorty in .44mag. Any thoughts? should I just buy a freedom arms 1997 in .44 special and be done with it?

Thanks, JLT

·
Registered
350 Posts
Go S&W and you won't be sorry, generally. Even if you get the rare lemon, service is great. In fact, you can get some of the S&W's at a great price, used, and in very good condition.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Sorry about your problems with Ruger.
I just bought a Super Redhawk 7 1/2 inch barreled .454 and Im really happy. Its a shooter and everything works like its supposed to but if youre soured on Ruger, save your money for the FA.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Can't say I've ever had a problem in 40+ Rugers. Anyway, S&W makes a good gun, I have a BFR in .45-70 that is a thumper, I haven't shot a FA though.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
I have owned numerous 44 mags from S&W, Ruger and Taurus with no complaints about any of them. The Smiths will not stand up to a diet of heavy load like the Ruger will if you like to shoot the big boomer rounds. I have never owned a BFR so I can't speak to their reliability. Go with what you want.
Also, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If I had the $$$ I would get anything from Freedom Arms over anything else.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The only thing that Ive ever encountered when using high dollar revolvers is the apprehension of taking something so costly out into the woods out of fear of damaging it. Really, if I had to suggest a revolver to hunt with, I would have to go with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Then I would have a free spinning pawl put it it along with a Wolff spring kit to lower the trigger pull. It will stand up to way more abuse than a Smith or a Taurus, and with the money you saved from not buying a Freedom Arms you could get a backup Super Blackhawk. And on top of it all, why not go with a .45 Long Colt in a Blackhawk? Ive had nothing but great luck with the two ive owned and you can get loads that rival a .44mag and punch a bigger hole to boot. I took a whitetail with a 320 gr. LBT out of a 7 1/2" stainless Blackhawk and it drops them like they were struck by lightning.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
............another plus with the Rugers is strength. Back when revolvers were being heavily customized for hunting and competition, the Blackhawk was the foundation for that work...why, because of the strength of the platform. When the Redhawk came out, it was built Ruger tough...it is my favorite DA for "heavy use"....built like a tank. "For the money" there is no stronger gun built, and for more money you are not getting that much more. Yes, there are some fine handguns out there, but, a Blackhawk or Redhawk "set up" for you...well, there can be no finer handgun, in my opinion..... I have owned and used other brands, but none have impressed me like the Rugers.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Funny thing is, Pine Tree Castings (Ruger) makes the frames for both Freedom Arms and Magnum Research (BFR), so any way you look at it, you are getting a Ruger!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Matt;..................you just pay more for them ,than you do when you buy them from Ruger!!!

·
Banned
188 Posts
I had a Redhawk , wish I still had it.It was very accurate & comfortable to shoot , the only reason I got rid of it was the sights were too coarse for 200m shooting, at that time IMSA had a rule that you had to use sights that were available from the factory & the Ruger sights had a lot to be desired, they were quite coarse.
I bought a Dan Wesson ,sights were a great improvement , it was accurate .
Something about the shape of the DW it is not near as comfortable to shoot , the triggerguard is a bit rough on my middle finger,shooting 40 rounds with it would beat my bird to the point that I started putting a bandaid on it before I shot it.
If I were looking for a .44 it would be another Redhawk & aftermarket sights, I never
did like the grips on the Blackhawk, they are just too short.
I need to make a new, longer grip for my Vaquerro, same problem ,grip just too short.
The scope mounts on the Redhawk were realy nice for working up loads, it was so E-Z to put a scope on it & take it off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
6" 686

My advice is this: Go find yourself another 6" 686. They're out there. With a little gumption, you will find one again, and it will be as good as the one you so fondly remember. Now, whether or not you are romanticizing the 686 in your mind or not, the best way to find out is to lay hands on another. Sounds like you had a winner there. Personally, I like my 4" .44 Redhawk. I'm a Ruger man. I've owned plenty of Smiths and sold 'em all. But then again, I like my rounds hot. If it don't sting my hand just a little when I shoot it, then I'm not goin' huntin' with it. Target practice is another matter. Of course, we've got some big game in the Pacific Northwest, especially the elk. Over to the east, the Grizzlies are growing in population. They are making a comeback here, and they will continue to spread east across the cascades to the rockies because of environmentalists that love them, until they see one first hand on their little hippy trips. I have tent camped in Grizzly country and it was NO FUN. Had one come sniffin' round my tent, and my hand was on the trigger of my 12 Gauge filled with slugs. Thank goodness nothing happened. A few snorts and off it went. A good healthy stretch of time passed, and then off I went. To sleep in my truck, where I should have been all along.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
should I just buy a freedom arms 1997 in .44 special and be done with it?
If you have the pocket money to buy the Freedom Arms stuff, there's no question about that decision. The only thing that keeps them outa' my safe is the cost, as ones I've handled compare well with a factory tuned S&W.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts