Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brother got a new 7mm rem mag last month because it was a steal 490$ stainless steel synthetic with ruger scope rings mark 2 .He said i could rebarrel it to 458 win mag if i pay for the barrel etc.but will a lott fit in the action ? who does good ruger work for re-barreling etc?

·
Banned
17 Posts
Thats just a "Long Action". The M77 Magnum Action, is a bit longer, and chambers the .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott. Your Long Action can fit a .458 Win Mag with just a barrel swap, as the bolt face is the same. For the Long Action M77, you want to stick with cartridges that have a 3.34" OAL, unless you want to single feed it, and pull the bolt to extract live rounds.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,951 Posts
Yes, alot will fit in them. I've had a bunch of dirt, and most of a cup of Jack-N-Coke inside one.:D:D

+1 Boolit

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I would just trade your 7 mm magnum Ruger in for a new one in .458 Mag. I think this would be the cheaper route and also I wouldn't want to shoot a .458 Mag. with a synthetic stock.:eek:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree with Davers,although myself not recoil sensitive,ASK FOR IT AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE!!!!!!!

·
Banned
17 Posts
Don't give in to the nay sayers. Finding a Ruger in .458 Win Mag is not a cheap proposition. They only made them in the Tang safety versions, and the MkII's only came in .458 Lott and those are $1500+. Depending on the barrel used, you should be able to get it done in the neighborhood of $400-$500. Then sell the 7mm barrel for a $100 or so to recoupe some cash.

·
Banned
105 Posts
I would just trade your 7 mm magnum Ruger in for a new one in .458 Mag. I think this would be the cheaper route and also I wouldn't want to shoot a .458 Mag. with a synthetic stock.:eek:
I agree about that stock for a 458. Might not be fun to shoot.
Sell the 7mm and look around for a Ruger No. 1 in 458. Great gun. They shoot very well in 458 and the recoil is pretty much nothing (unless you put it on the bench).
I saw a very nice used number 1 in a gun shop a couple weekends ago for $700.
That is a fun to shoot pile driver!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.