Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's best diameter cast bullet for for Ruger Redhawk and  Super Blk Hawk?  What works best for you that have these guns?  Runs from .429 to .431

For jacketed bullets .429 or .430?

Also what size cast lead for GP-100  .357?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I do not know what it is but the Sierra .4295 220 gr. FPJ Silhouette shots the best of any bullet so far out of my 5 1/2" SBH. I have loaded it over Universal, Green Dot, and IMR 4227 in mag and special from 800 fps to 1100 fps and it shoots great in all. I plan to push it a bit more just to see if it holds up but there is no reason to believe it will not.

I can't say this about the 240 gr. XTP. It is .430.

I shoot mainly moderate velocity loads and this may have something to do with the XTPs not working all that well for me. That's why I plan to spice them up a bit as I get better at shooting a little heavier loads.

The 180 gr. XTP does real well in all the special rounds I have tried.

Now I am going to speculate a little here and say that it is possible that the Sierra is a little softer and therfore expands a little better in the barrel at the lower velocities thus stabalizing the bullet in the barrel better thus increasing accuracy. After saying this I have to say that I shot a rabbit the other day with one of these bullets and the entrance and exit holes were identical and no sighn of bullet expansion was seen. I did not recover the bullet so this is all speculation on my part.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Brian, best thing to do is measure the cylinder throats.  With cast, start with the largest diameter that will chamber and go from there.  Generally the Ruger 44's will take .432".

For the .357..... don't know.  My .357 Blackhawk will take .360" easily, don't know about your gun.  I'd bet it will go at least .359", but that's just a guess.

For jacketed, less of an issue so just whichever bullet works best in your gun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
In general, .001 inch over bore diameter will give the best  accuracy in a cast bullet.  The throat diameters also make a difference.  You will have to measure both to get a correct fit for your gun.
I recently purchased a Ruger 44mag and a Smith and Wesson 44spl.  Both have .429 bores and cylinder throats.  Both work just fine with .430 bullets.
You will find that jacketed bullet accuracy will vary with the pistol. A little experimenting will find a good load.
The Sierra 180gr bullet is a big game design and probably doesn't eqpand on a rabbit. The bullet jacket is thick and the lead is hardened.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Stranger, I doubt it.  There is another thread over in the "Handloading Practices and Procedures" topic where a guy is having trouble getting ammo with .430" cast bullets to chamber!  The throats on his gun must be pretty tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts