Shooters Forum banner

What do I do now?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rmouleart 
#1 ·
Hunting season over and my SBH never been stripped and cleaned, I decided it was time to check it out. Yes, I did strip a grip screw. It will not budge. I soaked it with Kroil before cranking on it and then when it still would not budge I went ahead and stripped the screw head. What now. Do I drill a pilot hole and use an easy out or what? I bought the gun new and kept it clean but this head had a build up on it before I tried to get it out. I believe it was some kind of corrosion and it could be down into the tread area.

There is a gunsmith I would like to try but if this could be done by me I would like to give it a try.

Any wise words would be accepted. Oh, I was using what I thought was the right size screwdriver. It obviously was not close enough. Which set has the best sizes for the SBH?

#2 · (Edited)
Which screw did you strip? I hope it was THE grip screw, worst case you would have to buy a new set of grips. If it is one of the grip frame screws, that could get ugly, but if you get it out, you can get replacements from Ruger or Brownells. I picked up a set of Pachmeyer (sp?) gunsmith screwdrivers at Wally World, I don't know where else you could get a set for firearms specifically. The thing to look for, the screwdrivers have to be either hollow ground or parallel ground or they will slip and mess up the screw or strip it. Hope this has been some help.

Edited to say I don't know where else you could get a set locally. Brownells sell several sets. Cylinder and Slide make a set just for the Ruger S/As.

#3 ·
Chief,

I would carefully drill the head of the screw, until the head is gone and the parts come apart. Then you can work on getting the stub out.

I doubt that you will find an easy-out small enough to work.

If you haven't been down this road before, head to a gunsmith with a milling machine and they can mill the head off the screw without boogering up the frame.

Sorry to hear it!

#5 ·
Thanks Mike and Andy. I would like to do this myself but I probably will not since it sounds like special machining is the answer.

One more question. If the smith would mill out the screw head what would he do next to get the screw out? I am not a machinist or familiar at all with such stuff.

#6 ·
I am assuming this is one of the screws that holds the grip frame to the frame itself. Once the head and the piece it is holding on is off, more access is there to get penetrating oil in. He will likely start off by soaking with penerating oil such as liquid wrench at least over night. Then some heat will be applied to the metal around the screw. This helps to get even more oil in and expands the metal away from the screw. There should be enough of the screw left to get ahold off and turn it out. If it doesn't come out that way, it will probably be broken off flush and then they can try to mill out the screw completely just short of the threads and pick out the threads. At this point the machinist is not a happy camper!

#7 · (Edited)
Ok if you drill the head out and you can not get the rest out, you can go ahead and bye some hogue mono grips they don't use those screw holes on the side they use the a anchor method at the bottom of the handle frame, Oh wait you said SBH right, well I know this will work on a SRH, I am not sure if the SBH has the same setup? I guess there is always more than one way to skin a cat, be careful and good luck. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.