Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, I said no to crack and started wearing suspenders whenever I hike or work hard. I use heavy-duty, button-end logger suspenders because the big, flat buttons are more secure and don't gall me under a backpack hip belt the way that metal clip-end suspenders do.

The problem is, now that I don't wear a belt, I don't know where to put my sixgun. I carry a 4" Ruger GP-100 .357, a 5-1/2" Blackhawk .44, or, occasionally, a 5-1/2" Single Six. How can I securely attach a holster? Would a paddle holster work, and if so, does anyone make a paddle holster for a big single action like my Blackhawk?

I have a similar problem when I wear a backpack with a hip belt. Most hip belts are very wide, without any place to strap on a normal holster. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I also carry a 4" gp100 when backpacking - but usually carry it in the top pouch of my pack - which I can reach without taking the pack off.

I have also carried a 21/4 sp101 when hiking - either in the same place (top pouch) or in a square cordura holster/case attached to the hip-belt of my pack.

It is a small zippered pouch that looks like the medical pouch that some diabetics carry or just an add-on accessory pouch to the backpack.

However, I usually hike in NH in which 1/2 the hikers seem to be liberal anti-gunners from Massachusetts, so I just find it easier to kepp my gun where these other hikers cannot see it to avoid conflict.

I would guess onr of the military type holsters by Bianchi (UM84) would fit the wide hip belt of a pack.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You might consider a shoulder holster. I used to carry a 7.5" Ruger Superblackhawk in one. Only one problem, you might be mistaken for Dirty Harry!:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I carry my 6 1/2" 41 mag in a uncle mikes shoulder holster. I dont bother snapping the bottom to the belt. Its out of the way, but handy if I need it, and am not banging my rifle against it, if I have it on my belt. Am at the base of the Sierra's in No. Cal and run into tree huggers all the time, and they ask why I have a "GUN", I tell them "Dint you see that "BEAR" up there behind you. It dosent take long for them to leave. :D

Gun Runner

·
Banned
126 Posts
I remember my father telling about the insecure fellow who wore both suspenders and a belt, so that could be a solution.

Perhaps not directly on point, but when I backpack I have rigged a military holster for a .45 1911 to attach to the front strap on my backpack frame. I removed the metal hook and attached it with a strap through the belt loop. A second velcro strap tied securely to prevent wobble. It worked well for several days on the trail. Available, but out of the way. I heard no comments, but here in Wyoming the ladies may be carrying bigger guns in their purses (or saddlebags).

dclark

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,223 Posts
Gun Runner, that's hilarious, shows you just how little sense these people have. I'd add to the list, rattlesnakes, rapists, escaped convicts, mountain lions, wolves, feral hogs, rabid animals, meth lab operators / marijuana farmers, and the Abominable Snowman, just for starters. Then let them contemplate just how mean Mother Nature (and certainly plenty of humans) can be.

Maybe some of them might eventually come to the conclusion that they ought to think about a means of defending themselves, if they want to stay atop the food chain, or at least a rung or two off the bottom.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You make a good point Mike. However, aren't most of these tree huggers already at the bottom of the food chain? Or as my wife would say, they are from the shallow end of the gene pool.

·
Registered
306 Posts
MikeG, I agree with the others, there tends to be pot farms and meth labs on BLM land. I just think its fun to watch them in their "GUCCHI" walking shoes and safari hats & shorts hauling A## down a mountain side. Gonna have to get me a cam corder.
As far as the Abominable snow man, thats just my boy with his size 15ee feet out walking around.
As far as them on the food chain list even some animals have Good Taste. :D
Lindsey as far as their gene pool I think some of them came out of a misquito(spl) pond here in G.V.

Gun Runner:D :D

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I use a cross draw type holster when wearing a backpack, which is 9 times out of 10 if I'm on a walkabout. Though I haven't tried them, I have heard great reviews of Freedom Arms new cross-draw holster. This does preclude securing the belt of the pack, but most places I hike around in, that is a liability anyway.

·
Banned
169 Posts
I don't know if it would work for you or not but how about an El Paso Saddlery M1942 holster. This the "Tanker" holster of Military design. It has one strap that you put one arm through and goes over your head, the holster rides right on your chest and a lower snap that secures the bottom of the holster to your belt (oops I forgot no belt hence the problem). It is a nice design that I used to carry my Super Blackhawk while hunting. Sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts