Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Only ever dealt with one: Ruger Single Six. Never had a reason to regret the decision to buy it.

·
Banned
604 Posts
My vote would go to my M48 Smith & Wesson, .22 Magnum revolver. 6" barrel. And if memory serves, AMT made a semiauto in .22 Magnum that got good reviews.

·
Registered
9,779 Posts
Been 5 .22 Mag. revolvers over the years, only one non S&W. Got hooked with a 8 3/8" Mod. 48, but found a 6" shortly after that stuck around longer. A nice Mod. 63, and years later a 650 (fixed sight/ 3" barrel... buddy's new wife just had to have it).

Can add in a Freedom Arms mini-revolver and a couple of High Standard O/U derringers along the way. Neither of those are exactly great choices but hide quite well and make decent snake guns with the CCI birdshot loads.

Had a Tarus 941, but really wasn't too thrilled with that one (traded it in for a .22LR version, which i can't find a thing wrong with).

Never really thought of them as defence revolvers until that 650 and my buddy's wedding. Not going to be a real "stopper", but does have good penetration.

·
Registered
Have owned and shot over 2500 different firearms including Blackpowder, Antiques, & Modern.
171 Posts
I have 2 AMT Automag II's and a Taurus 941 Ultra Light with the 2 inch barrel. All shoot well although the AMT's needed tweaking to be reliable. All like 40 grain CCI Mini-Mags best. However there is a S&W model 48 or 648 in my plans and IMHO the Smith is the best.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have only owned two a Smith 651 J frame 4" adj sights and a Ruger 5.5" Single Six convertable. Still have that Ruger as it was my first handgun at 17. Smith is currently still making the excellent M48 with either 4" or 6", 351PD and a Cennential verison.

Other revolvers chambered in .22 WMR were Colt, Dan Wesson, Korth, Charter Arms, Heritage, North American Arms, H&R, High Standard.

CD

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
For .22 WMR best to have a longer barrel. Could work but would prefer either a .32 H&R Mag/.327 Fed/.38 Spl/.357 for the same size.

CD

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
You'll be sorry if you buy the Taurus...

I'm happy with my Single Six, but I'll be honest and say the .22 WMR is not suited very well to handguns. Its loud and expensive to shoot. The Single Six comes with both .22LR and .22 WMR cylinders.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.