Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this cartridge listed in custom die listings and wildcat listings, but can learn no more than that either the .375 Win. or .30/30 Win. can be parent cases. Sounds like a potentially capable round, but if so why is it so obscure? The name points to some connection to the old Herter's company-- or are they still around?

Fireplug

·
Registered
123 Posts
The .401 Herter was a "custom" handgun round from the 1950's, if I remember correctly.  It was very similar to the later 41 mag.  It was introduced by Herter's Inc and supported by them until the demise of the business.  It is my understanding that the name has been revived and is in business on a limited, local basis, but I cannot swear to that.  It was found in Wis. if memory serves.  My dad bought a lot of stuff from them over the years.

dclark

·
Banned
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I am embaressed. When I saw the parent cases I assumed this was a big bore rifle round and it piqued my interest. A staight cased 40 caliber on these rounds would be too close to a rimmed version of the .416 TAS for me not to make some comparisons.

Fireplug

·
Registered
302 Posts
Fire Plug and dclark your both right, they were in wasaka (sp) WI and went out of bus. around 77 or shortly there after. I always thought I owned stock in the co. for all the money I spent there. You could get any thing from jams and jellys. gun stocks, elephant foot ash trays. The 401 was called their .401 power mag and was close match for the 41 mag. Some place around here I still have one of their presses that is heavy enough I could use it for a small boat anchor. Hated to see them go out of bus. because they had a great catalog and lots of GOODIES, that some of us just coundent live without. They have started up again but seem only to be carring stuff for the duck and geese hunters..

Gun Runner

·
Registered
71 Posts
Waseca is in Minnesota.  I don't remember anything about the .401 Herters, but I do have a Herters canoe in my back yard.(I useta live in Minn.)  Great catalog!

Fireplug,  Paco Kelly mentioned a .400 straight or something like that in one of his articles.  It is apparently a .40 caliber on a blown out 30-30 case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Herter's is now out of business, period.  Cabela's is in the process of selling off Herter's inventory.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Herter's had a large store in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, the main outlet in Waseca, Minnesota. The .401 was called the ".401 Powermag", and as far as I know, only Herter's had a revolver chambered for it. They were inexpensive but a well-made piece. Finish was a little rough, but at the price they were good value. Performance was not in the .44 mag class, even though Herter's implied that it could be. A friend of mine owned two of these pieces, bought them around 1963, and handloaded to about equal today's .41 mag specs. Whether or not he was pushing things a little I don't know. He never experienced any weapon failure. If you can find an old Herter's catalog (1963, 1964 or thereabouts) at a gun show, get it. It's quite a reading experience. When this company went under, a lot of grown men cried.
DC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts