Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remington is advertising a "hinged floor plate magazine" in their SPS rifles.

I've seen the top load - bottom unload trap door Savages. I've also seen a Browning that has a hinged door with a removable clip (box magazine).

I do not want the shells falling all over the place when I open the hinged door. Does "hinged floor plate magazine" mean theirs has a hinged door AND a removable box magazine similar to the Browning?

Thanks for the help.

JC

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Isn't it great how Madison Avenue advertising can take something so simple and turn it into confussion. Its nothing more than the magazine bottom being hinged for quick cartridge removal without cycling each one through the rifle. If properly made there's no problems with this type of arrangement. Many older knowledgable shooters prefer this arrangement or a detachable box magazine over the blind magazine arrangement. Wasn't aware Savage made a "trap door". Older single shot rifles were called "trap door" models because of the manner in which cartridges were chambering. Trap door actions are just another type of action like bolt action or falling block action. Usually when activating the hinged door you place one hand under the action and catch all the shells but guess some may let them just fall.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Remington is advertising a "hinged floor plate magazine" in their SPS rifles.

I've seen the top load - bottom unload trap door Savages. I've also seen a Browning that has a hinged door with a removable clip (box magazine).

I do not want the shells falling all over the place when I open the hinged door. Does "hinged floor plate magazine" mean theirs has a hinged door AND a removable box magazine similar to the Browning?

Thanks for the help.

JC
It's the same concept as the Savage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
"I've seen the top load - bottom unload trap door Savages. I've also seen a Browning that has a hinged door with a removable clip (box magazine)."

The "bottom unload trap door" on the Savages you are refering to are actually hinged floor plates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts