Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was only my 3rd time firing a hand gun and 2nd for my Ruger 944 .40 4" barrel, but, I managed to get 14 out of the last 20 rounds (60 total) into the 5" target at 35 feet using the advice here

What would be a reasonable distance for an average shooter to get all the shots into the 5" black area with the above gun?

I am just using the cheap reloads, but, at that distance I could not see an accuracy/recoil difference between the reloads and factory self-defense loads.
Thanks!

http://www.shootersforum.com/attachment.htm?attachmentid=9241&stc=1&d=1267915529

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
My question would be ...what are you asking for here..??? My impression is that you are not doing anything with any degree of consistency...!! By that I mean your sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control. If you are serious about your shooting...check your grip and seek some training with a qualified instructor. If not ...good luck..things will stay the same or get worse.....

·
Banned
484 Posts
A typical combat handgun like yours should keep all shots on that 5" bullseye at 25 yards (75 feet) if the shooter does his part. Many will do much better than that...it is not unusual for a good defensive handgun to shoot 5" groups at 50 yards and hunting handgun to do it at 100 yards.

From the picture of the target, you are doing a very good job for a beginner. Your trigger control is quite good because you do not have much vertical dispersion of the shots and the group is round shaped. If you were jerking the trigger, your shots would mostly go very low and be strung up and down on the target. The group would be much taller than it is wide.

You are also doing a pretty good job of sight alignment because you have quite a few holes dead center. However, your group is fairly loose and would tighten up if you practiced your sight alignment skills.

The key is to focus very hard on your front sight and make sure you clearly see it lined up properly with the rear sight. The target will be OUT of focus if you do this properly. Then, add very gentle pressure to the trigger until the gun fires. You are trying for a "surprise break", in other words, you cannot predict exactly when the gun is going to fire because you are adding pressure so slowly that you just can't tell when the shot will fire.

If you look HARDER at the front sight, your groups will get much tighter (as long as you don't jerk the trigger).

If you Google "fundamentals of pistol marksmanship", or use the search function here to look for the same thing, you will find lots of info. Pistol shooting is a science, and also an art. You have made a good start.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
IMHO a defensive handgun should be tack driver, great accuracy is never a detriment

·
Registered
817 Posts
My question would be ...what are you asking for here..??? My impression is that you are not doing anything with any degree of consistency...!! By that I mean your sight alignment, sight picture and trigger control. If you are serious about your shooting...check your grip and seek some training with a qualified instructor. If not ...good luck..things will stay the same or get worse.....
That was a little harsh and not real nice. Jbee, for your 3rd time firing a handgun that's not bad at all. Just remember shooting a hand gun is all about grip, stance, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing, trigger pull, and follow-through. It sounds like a lot of stuff to do at once and I guess it is but it will become second nature with practice. Dry firing is invaluable at helping one master these skills.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,428 Posts
Wild hobby and RJ have offered good advice.....practice is key!

For your third outing, I feel you are doing something right!

Practice, then practice more!

Good job.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
in my opinion ,you just need to spend a lotta time with that gun.. nobody can really give you an answer that ll do you any good.
practice..then its whats acceptable to you..
if you talking defense in a city from muggers .. 20 yrds an in ..an thats if theres several ofem..that assuming also that you cant just duck into a shop or out run them.. if just one mugger..15 ft in from that..
work your plan ,which should allow plenty of adjustment for different sitchuations..jmo slim
if talking hunting with a handgun..somebody else can advise you..
i didn t even know people hunted with handguns,,until i found this forum..
nothing wrong with it,, if you want to get that good.. but id had just not seen it done in this area... good luck

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
. . . What would be a reasonable distance for an average shooter to get all the shots into the 5" black area with the above gun?
It's a little hard to define "average shooter" but you have a very good target for someone who is starting out. Are you shooting off the bench or are you standing and shooting without support? IMO, most of the shots that impact the white are the results of shooter error, not the firearm. Modern firearms are more accurate than the shooters' ability to shoot. With more practice, you should be able to turn out the same results at 25 yards. With even more practice, very few of your shots will be in the white area at the same distance. If you are a really serious shooter, the day will come when all of your shots, shooting without support, will be in the black. Hope this gives you some idea of what you can accomplish if you really set your mind to it. Best wishes!

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
> Are you shooting off the bench or are you standing and shooting without support?

Standing without support in the stance they taught in class, which of course I forget the name at the moment, it is the one with one leg back on the firing arm, towards the side so you make less of a target if they aim for the gun or flashlight.

> if talking hunting with a handgun..somebody else can advise you..

No, gun is self defense, not for hunting. Though I may get a .40 carbine for hunting.
> A typical combat handgun like yours should keep all shots on that 5" bullseye at 25 yards
> If you look HARDER at the front sight, your groups will get much tighter

Thanks, that is what I need to strive for then. Once I get close I will take another lesson to refine out any mistakes or bad habits.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and advice.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Proper instruction will develope proper technique and that is important no matter what the endevor is, IMHO and experience

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
Best bet is lessons first, then you don't get any bad habits to un-learn. If ou are able, try to find a good coach. A good coach can usually catch any mistakes you make, and correct them on the spot. If you are able to get a .22 conversion unit for your carry peice it makes for cheaper practice while maintaining all of the familiar aspects of your normal peice while providing a lot more range time.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Very good advice about taking the lessons first. You don't want to have to iron out bad habits. Get good habits only, from the start and your shooting will be more productive.
Remember "practice makes permanent" so practice good skills not mistakes.
Pete

·
Registered
15 Posts
For a third time out ever with a handgun, I'd say you did great they are all in the "kill zone". I would not listen to these mall ningas. The requirement for a CCW is 3 groups of 5 shots from 15 feet within a 8 inch circle. Anyone that tells you to shoot 50 to 75 feet with a handgun in selfdefense does not know what they are talking about. It will get you a long time in jail if you do. If you have 50 to 75 feet between you and a BG, get the heck out of there or seek cover. If the BG keeps coming within 21 to 30 feet then start firing.

Most shooters that pratice SD shooting use 20 to 30 feet as their range. IDPA matchs are 5 to 35 feet shots.

If you are going to shoot bullseye matches with scopped equipment then you need to pratice 50 to 75 feet and in some cases 50 yards. But that is really specialized shooting.

From the tone of your post, I would say you are a rifle shooter and you just need to pratice the same disiplines as for rifle shooting, breathing, trigger control, shot placement, follow-up shots and using good ammo.

You can be happy with your results and just keep shooting and having fun.

Stay safe and good luck.
Jim

·
Banned
502 Posts
I teach close quater combat shooting in a urban/suburban setting a couple times a year. I am not a certified instructor, but have taken many of the course and did training while I was in the Army.

I tell every one to shoot at 5 feet, 10 feet, 15 feet and 20 feet, With one, two and three shot vollys. One handed, two handed, straight at the target and one to two shot vollys with the pistol parallel to you chest. Use 8 inch diameter targets or smaller silhouette targets.

Plus people have to learn to shoot with out taking all the time required to use the sights.

The biggest thing I tell people to to practice at least once a month, live fire and a couple times a month dry fire.

Jerry

·
Banned
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I was going to post a target today, but, the reload ammo I bought from sportsmansguide was all over the place after 25 feet, at 35 feet only 6 out of 20 into the 5" black.. I verified it against my OEM stuff (Hornady) I had in my spare clip. I am glad I did not buy more for my hoard stock, I am going to go waste the rest later this week at 20 feet or less.

It has me rethinking my next (rifle) purchase and reloaded ammo for it.

> Plus people have to learn to shoot with out taking all the time required to use the sights.

Agreed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.