Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I working with a new Mod. 92 trying to find the most accurate load. Right now I'm working with 18.5 grains H110, then up a half grain to 19 grains, behind a 300 grain GC'c Saeco.
I've never had problems with getting good groups with scopes and reciever sites, but this buck horn defeats me.  The buckhorn site that came with this rifle really stinks, everytime the gun is fired the elevator slips back one or two notches. I considered soldering it in place.
I replaced the factory site with an after market buckhorn/ladder site from Dillion. In the normal position the buckhorn site is for, what 50 yards? And the ladder site can be locked into place for 100 yards.
Now to the question.
What would be considered acceptable accuracy at a 100 yards. Currently I'm getting 2 by 4 inch groups, with 8 or 9 shots, with the occasional flyer when the site elevator slipped. I'm getting 3 or 4 in a nice cluster then a few outside to give me the larger grouping.
Jim

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's about minute of whitetail. I don't know what the CAS boys get, but they are around 1200fps for a carbine. You might ask at sassnet.com

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You Bethca that 2"-4" groups at 100 yards is good hunting groups!!!!! Take a 9" paper plate nailed to a lath and stick it out there at 100 yards! Each time you put a hole in it..say to yourself.."Dead Deer"! Leave the sub 1" groups to the BS pulp paper writers! Most game has a Kill Zone of 8"/9" in the lung area and a frontal Kill Zone of 6"/8". Shooting like that, you can back me up anytime the things get "sweaty"! I think you a doing a great job for buckhorn sights!
Best Regards, James

(Edited by James Gates at 1:57 pm on April 27, 2001)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a marlin 1894 CB in 45 colt. I mounted a 3X9 scope for load developement and I don't get much better than you so considering iron sites, your doing good but you can do better overall with a good reciever or tang due to the longer side radius. I believe I can improve with a heavier, gascheck bullet. LBT designes are great. You may be operating at too low of pressure for good velocity uniformity. Note the vertical stringing of your groups. Try to ID this to be true if your problem with your site is ruled out(fixed). Chronis would show it. I've seen this with this type of powder. Great hunting loads are with these powders but I've found faster powders make better plunkin loads. I believe when I get done with my load developement I'll be getting 1.5' groups.We've never had it better with selection. Consider the type of shooting you do- choose wisley and good shooting!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Excellent posts! Another thing about that vertical stringing...It appears that the 1894 series, like the Ruger No 1, doe not loke its forearm resting on a hard sand bag. I ran into this with my 1894P. By either using a rolled up bath towel or my hand between the sandbag and forearm, ith groups "rounded "out. Also...when its forearm was on thehard sandbag, the shots went higher. Just a thought!
Best Regards, James

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
To add to James Gates' post about forend rests.   I like to use a rolled up carpet sample... they are available from most carpet shops for a buck or two, make very nice rests when just rolled up.  The carpet is very forgiving to nice gun finishes and can be reversed so tha canvas type back is exposed, and they make first class pistol rests as well!  You'll find that as observed some of that vertical stringing will dissappear with a rest that "gives" to a degree.

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Figured out what part of the vertical strinnging was about. The cheap rear site would slip the elevator ramp everytime the gun fired. I dumped that site and put a Smith site from Dillion's on it. The vertical part of the problem went away.
The next step in working on the sighting is to widen the groove in the rear site from a V to more of a U and maybe replace the front with a larger bead or flat square gold.
Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts