Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Tikka and ran several patches through with Bore Scrubber, used a brush, ran more wet and dry patches, and I am still getting blue stuff on my patches. I am using a bore guide but I decided I didn't want to wear out the barrel before I even shoot it for the first time. What is this stuff and it does it have to be squeaky clean before shooting it?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,926 Posts
Copper-based jacket fouling. They surely did a test shot (or several) at the factory.

Usually, after the first few cleanings, the amount of fouling decreases quite a bit. So be diligent about cleaning it and see if it gets less over time.

No big deal.

·
Super Moderator
13,552 Posts
Could also be you are getting blue from the bronze brush residue, assuming that's what you are using? More likely test firing fouling. I've had guns before that the store clerks borrowed and fired and didn't clean properly before I bought them.

I would suggest a better copper cleaner than Bore Scrubber. I like Boretech Eliminator for general bore cleaning purposes. It is odorless and non-toxic, water-based so it cleans corrosive priming residue, but has corrosion inhibitors so it is safe to leave in a bore indefinitely. It attacks copper so fast even a brass jag will turn a patch blue before it gets from one end of the barrel to the other, so I use plastic jags with with it (Boretech also sells special alloy jags it won't attack and Midway sells nickel-plated brass that it won't attack, either). You might have to get that particular product by mail order. If so, but you don't want to wait, see if your local gun store has Wipe-Out or one of the other foaming bore cleaners. These usually do a pretty good deep cleaning job. too.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,874 Posts
Yup - new firearms usually come from the factory after test firing. The carbon and guilding metal fouling comes intact at no extra charge! :D

Like Unclenick says, even the bronze bristle brush will leave a copper stain in the bore that will turn the patches blue or green. Don't worry about wearing out the bore with the cleaning of a new rifle. If nothing else, you're helping remove some of the tooling burrs/marks with the aggresive cleaning. Shoot and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I use nylon brushs and that avoids any contamination of the bronze brush

1 - 5 of 5 Posts