Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hi Matt, welcome here. Rules are simple: be nice, and join in.

When you say .22, do you mean centerfire or rimfire? What are you going to use it for? Plinking? Yotes? Prairie Dogs? Something bigger? What range are you planning on shooting to?

There are lots of great choices, but if you haven't gotten one already, I'd suggest getting a rimfire in .22 LR. Get a nice accurate bolt gun like a CZ with a simple scope on it and start hunting those cans! Cheap to shoot, great to learn off of, and very accurate. Not a bad price at all either.

I hope that helps. Stop by the General Forum on the main page and introduce yourself.

See you around the forum.

Matt M

Edit: You beat me to it, SS. A .22 LR would be great for a family gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am thinking of getting a rim fire and just for target range use i plain on buying more guns in the near future!

·
Registered
542 Posts
A 10-22 is good, but semi-autos (I find) tend to allow people (specifically me) to rely on followup shots. Mind you, that's the shooter, and not the gun, but a bolt action just seems like it forces you to take your time with your shots. That said, a Ruger 10-22 is a great gun.

Here are some choices:

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/index.html - Semi-auto rotary magazine fed. The industry standard semi-auto .22

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine7722/index.html - Bolt action .22 from Ruger

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-silhouette/ - The gun I was talking about - very accurate - top quality for the dollar

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60.asp - Another semi-auto .22 that is common. Tube fed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Nylon_66 - A tube fed semi-auto. Discontinued, but you can get them used for cheap. Not super accurate, but reliable and cheap.

There are others as well, of course. Levers, pumps, etc. but this is somewhere to get you started.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Like my savage mkII for a cheap bolt gun. Shoots straight. They've been known to encounter feeding problems, but the cure is easy. The trigger is a cinch to mod for a nice pull. 10-22s suit my fancy for semi-autos.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought my son a Mossberg plinker and put a cabalas 3x9 on it. Total of 145 bucks or so. It shoots good and after at least 5000 rounds it has never been cleaned. I just squirt it with more oil and it runs. It has a cheap crappy stock but it is very light.

AL

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hands down, you need a .22LR the rifle I would recommend, hands down would be a CZ 452, it costs a a bit more than most .22's but you really do get what you pay for. I have the Silhouette (syn stock blued barrel) and the gun is a tack driver, it does not feel cheap, and by holding it and working the action you can really tell the extra coin goes into higher quality parts. Unlike cheaper .22's it feeds so smooth it makes butter look like 80 grit sand paper. and the trigger was set up extremely nice, with a nice crisp break. All and all I believe the best .22 out there, when you consider price quality, accuracy and durability.

·
Banned
421 Posts
CZ is an excellent choice in a bolt action. What peaked your interest in guns enough to want to buy one? Old cowboy and Indian movies? If you want a lever I would get an older used Marlin 39A or a new Henry Frontier model H001T. Semi-auto I would go with the leading seller worldwide, a Marlin model 60.
I own over 4 dozen rimfire guns, and none are bad. Some are better than others for certain things though.
Good luck, and let us know what you decide on. We like pictures too don't forget. That's one of the requirements for getting the free advice!

·
Registered
83 Posts
10-22's are alright and shoot well enough. I'm a bit biased because I have had a Ruger 77/22 since I was 12 and would never have a 10-22 unless I wanted to build one up or found one that had a manlicher stock. I also like things that are a bit unique and 10-22's are about the least unique 22 you can buy but they are cheap and shoot well so idk.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Get a bolt action Marlin or Savage. CZ too I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
RUGER 10-22.

I own three and have never ever had a problem.

One has over 50000 rounds put through it with no problems.

They are a little more expensive than your generic walmart 22 but well worth the money. trust me.

Check out the sales papers,
last year i picked up a brand new 10-22 carbine with 2 mags and ad decent butler creek 3X9 scope as a package for 179 out the door of cabelas. Couldnt beat it.

Happy shooting

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I own half a dozen 10-22s and 77-22s in .22LR, .22 WMR, and .22 Hornet. They are great guns and I like them a lot. Ruger builds the two .22s that everyone else is compared to, the 10-22 and MKIII. I own another half dozen MKII/IIIs. I have a few older Remington bolt action (581) .22s that are pretty fun rifles, they are pretty cheap and reliable, but finding them can be difficult.

·
Registered
574 Posts
For hunting only, I would go with a bolt gun. For all around use (plinking, targets & hunting) I would go with a 10/22. It is much more fun in the non-hunting uses and will do the job just fine in the woods as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
22 choices

Hey just starting to hunt/shoot wondering what .22 would be best at first?
I second the Mossy. They are available in semi-auto and bolt action. Check out their website.
You can buy 2 or three of those for the price of a cz.
Here is a list of the mods and trigger work and the resulting group at an outdoor range.

Bipod added $20, compensator added $16, barrel dampener added $5, 4-9x32 scope added $35. Total cost including rifle is under $200 dollars. The results were sub 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards with light winds.

trigger work:
Step one is to punch out the pin that is not securing anything to the receiver.
Step two is to punch out the hammer pin that will release the trigger cam. This is the piece that protrudes above the top of the receiver and when depressed it will cock the trigger. This piece has a spring and bar attached to it. It should lift out easily since the other pin has been removed
Step three - is to smooth out the flat portion just before the hook at the end of the cam. Then smooth out the hook, shiny part that the trigger bar engages. The bar at the bottom of the receiver is where these two parts engage and this also must be smoothed out. Use an emery board that is trimmed down in width to fit in between the slot and smooth out the mating surface. This can be done with a little patience and must not be rushed. If you go too far your hook will not engage the bar.
After performing these steps reinstall the trigger cam and use a punch or a drill bit to temporarily hold the cam in place while you test the trigger action. Rock the cam downwards to engage the trigger bar and pull the trigger. If it does not operate correctly check the steps for reassembly posted on this board. If it is still gritty repeat the smoothing steps until you achieve the desired results. When you achieve the desired results reassemble in reverse order and finish assembling the rifle. After complete reassembly check the action of the slide and the trigger. You should notice a smoother and lighter pull. Mine turned out so much better I am going to keep it now that it works so well. Range trip and report on friday or saturday.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/SJPSA/index

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice shooting SJP, Can you post some pics of that gun?

I've never shot a Moss, but I've never heard anything bad about a CZ, and little bad as far as performance goes from a 10/22. I'd rather spend the money on a quality gun than have to put lots of extra work into a new gun, especially since the original poster was saying it's a starting gun. Those are some tight groups, but I've gotten groups similar to that with my pal's CZ 452 and the gun was capable of better. Granted it's twice the price of yours, but I doubt that would be money wasted.

IMHO, if you want a bolt action, get the CZ 452/453 (or the 455 which is the newest generation), and if you want a semi-auto, get the 10/22.

No disrespect, SJP, I just think it's easier for a first gun than all of that work.

Matt35, did you get anything yet? Make sure you tell us what you got!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts