Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering what caliber would be best for shooting 400-1000 yards. i have heard everything from .243 to .260 to .270 and of course .308. i am on a budget and reloading isn't an option as of now... i want to go with a bi-pod and was wondering the best manufacturer. also is it preferred to have a detachable box mag? i have looked @ savage and Remington and i'm leaning towards the latter....any help would be great

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome Bluefin, glad you made it!

Are you just target shooting or are you hunting? For paper, the .308 is as good as anything especially since you don't reload. That's what I would get in your shoes.

There's guys here that specialize in that kind of shooting. I'm sure they'll peek in here and give you more experienced advice. :)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
A Savage long range hunter in 308 or 6.5x284 Norma would be the way to go. If given the choice between the 2, I'd go with the 6.5x284. Ammo isn't as common, but what is out there is supremely accurate and wins 1000yd matches all the time.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
+1 to what Bandit said, except the 308 is a bit better if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd be looking at a Remington 700 in .308, there are probably more part out there for that gun than any other, so if you wanted to add parts, and slowly improve your rifle over time, thats definitely IMHO the best starting platform, and the 6.5 is definitely the better round, but by no means is the .308 inaccurate, the military has been using it in their sniper rifles for decades, and is well suited for shooting at 800 plus yards.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Mr_tw, the OP said "budget" platform. The Remington 700 is a fine bolt-action rifle and there are many adjectives that can be used to describe both the action and the after-market accessories available for it. "Inexpensive" is not one of those adjectives! :)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
In your situation, I think I would go with a good Savage .308. Since you are not reloading you want easy to find and reasonably priced ammo. Savages are pretty hard to beat for accuracy and value right now. You might look at this option too http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=HGR63102%2B

You'll love the Hogue stock and they are fine shooters

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Remington will work but its definitely NOT Budget concious.

Savage will work too and is Budget Concious and has a better trigger out of the box than Remington.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
If you really want to get something different and cheap, buy a Marlin "X" gun and have the barrel of your choice screwed on. At $300 new it gives you a very cheap action to start your project from and you can do alot of work for under $1000.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Love my .308 and it does have a wider range of bullets for it but for your stated purpose of 400-1000 yards I would consider the 270 from your stated caliber choice. I have shot 1000 yards with a M1 Garand with a match .308 barrel on it and did fairly well with iron sights but a youngster on the range next to me shot my pants off with his scoped 270. I don't think the scope was the entire difference. It was just a flatter faster moving bullet.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If you really want to get something different and cheap, buy a Marlin "X" gun and have the barrel of your choice screwed on. At $300 new it gives you a very cheap action to start your project from and you can do alot of work for under $1000.
Well if that is the case, get a Stevens and change the barrel. No use in fooling with the new kid on the block, when they are late to the game anyway.

But for $300, then buy a barrel, add shipping and gun smith charges and you might as well have just bought the Remington.

I would look for a Ruger M77 MkII Target in .308 on the used racks. Great rifles, built like tanks, and come in a Boyds laminated stock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My local Walmart has a Savage 10FP with a scope for $397. Love my Savage 10FP with Hornady 168g BTHP, can shoot the center out....Do look at a stock though Midway USA has the Bell and Carlson Medalist stock on sale...The two make an excellent and stable platform..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts