Shooters Forum banner

What is the consensus for ported barrels on self defense revolvers?

5K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  leverite 
#1 ·
I've seen a few models but I would worry about excessive muzzle flash. Any experience with these?

#2 ·
I doubt you are going to find a consensus on any gun related topic but I will offer my view. This is only my view as an old guy who has carried a 357 for 48 years. Self defense requires good control, a modicum of accuracy, and the possibility of rapid follow-up shots. If you have to port a gun to get that then use porting. Any flash is likely to be worse for your target than it will be for you. My 357 fires a 140 grain bullet at 1599 FPS using H110 and it has a scary fireball that exits the barrel with the gun. In 48 years I have only had to draw the gun once in self defense and I have never had to fire it. I practice and drill in all light conditions and to be honest I have never noticed the fireball when shooting. I see it dramatically when watching my brother or my sons fire it but I never notice it when I am behind the gun.
Others may have had different experiences so that is what it is.

#3 ·
The flyweight snubbies are excruciating enough to shoot with porting (mine anyway) and I do not think that I would want to shoot one without. Like catching a fastball barehanded. Muzzle blast is excruciating, but I doubt that porting makes it all that much worse in a 2" .357, with full power loads (125gr. Cor-Bon).

Unless you can find two near identical guns, one ported and one not, not much to do but flip a coin.

#5 ·
S-I-L has a ported S&W 9mm that is identical to my non-ported model. Muzzle blast is a bit more, recoil, such as it is in a 9mm, is less. Porting a .357 snub would likely reduce recoil, but by how much is a guess on my part. You could also handload your personal defense loads somewhere between .38+P and full on .357. That makes a lot of difference in any .357.

Any way you do it, a .357 snub is gonna' be a hand full.

#6 ·
IF you need a gun, the first miracle is that you have one. The rest is just details. I have a short, SS, .41 mag with ported barrel in the door pocket of my pickup. IF NEEDED, I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but I don't 'target shoot' with it. The .25 or .380 in my pocket don't 'need' porting. Nothing does unless you competing in rapid fire matches.

#7 ·
I don't know about a concensus but I'll throw in mu two cents !
In 2004 I bought a Taurus model 455 , 45 acp , 5 shot , 2 inch ported barrel , fixed sights , stainless steel . A primo big bore belly gun ... self defense is it's only aim in life .
I like the porting ...of all the 45 acp's 1911 the 455 recoils the least , is the easiest to shoot quickly and I can shoot it more accurately than my target grade Colt Gold Cup Match pistol .
The holes like to get together on the target ... it's spooky how accurate this gun shoots ... my Gold Cup is jealous ! When shooting I don't notice any difference in loudness but do notice less recoil . J-frame sized , 5 shots of 45 acp , loads with full moon clips , fits in a pocket ...
for me it's about as perfect a self-defense gun as I've found . I shoot a lot of cast bullet loads and the ports pick up some grunge but clean right up .

My vote ...the ports aren't a problem and may be a boon to reduced recoil / controlled shooting / good accuracy . I don't remember any muzzle flash even on dim indoor range ...could be a ported 45 acp just doesn't have a big flash like a 44 Magnum but my experience shows muzzle flash is a non problem with ported 45 acp .
I can tell you from experience ...during a gunfight time slows and the shots sound far away and muffeled . I'm not going to worry about my hearing ...just staying alive .
Gary

#8 ·
While it's not a carry gun, I use a 4" S&W Model 29 for home defense. The Magnaporting does a great job of reducing muzzle flip for fast follow up shots. I shoot 200 gr. Gold Dots at 1,000 fps, which are very accurate and controllable. The 7½ lb. double-action pull doesn't hurt, either.

#9 ·
Few oposing views:

#1. I'm not shooting people in secret. The louder /bright flash, the more attention to any shot shot... I WANT attention..w\ant "everyone and their mamma" to know something bad is going down, the more witnesses that can't reasonably claim ignorance, the better.

#2. Not really sure how much porting really helps...but if you are a true-believer..go for it.

#3. Every actually fire a hot-revolver inside of a car with all the windowns rolled up but one....and the one you left down is a "cheat"in winteror in mid-summer. YOu (and me) aren't ridding aound with one window downand are not driving around with muffs on our ears.
The rolled upwindowns one cost me maybe 5% of my hearing,and a new windshield...besides which,with a stick shift, had the choice of shooting or driving away..but not both.
Do what you want...but at least test in real-life condtions.
--------Odd stuff:
Really short barrled .45 Colt revolvers/derringrs, don' t do badly with short barrels and black powder. Lets the whole neighborhood know you had a problem...big boom,big flash/jet of flame...big cloud of smoke...have no problem with that. If I could rig it to sound-out "CALL 911, would be prefect.

#10 ·
A consensus here? Ha, good one. I don't own a ported handgun in any caliber as I have never felt the need to shoot very rapidly and accurately. I carry a 45 cal pistol for defense and, should I ever be required to shoot in defense, the 45 will do just fine with a shot or two. I have always thought of porting as more marketing than necessary but I guess there could be situations where it was helpful. I've just never encountered one.

#11 ·
There's been some actual testing done on porting in regard to recoil reduction and it doesn't in fact work. You can scour the web and find some of it for yourself. I have a semi-auto 9mm I've set up for action pistol competition. I sent it to Magnaport for porting. It did take take a considerable amount of muzzle jump out of it but it didn't have much to begin with. As far as shooting at night...I wouldn't be too concerned about that. I've shot short barreled AR15s many times at night and even the muzzle flash from them is not all that bad. Most of that muzzle blast ruining your night vision talk is just that, talk.

#12 ·
Ribbonstone2 is on to an important part of self defense IMO. Won't explain how I know, but discharging any "real" gun in an enclosed space is truly shocking the first time it is experienced, and I don't want any more shock coming my way than is already inevitable. I constantly marvel at how TV shoot outs in cars and buildings are followed by conversations without ringing ears and lots of, "Whaatt?"

#15 ·
Not exactly the same, but I have a compensator on my XD 10 mm and it makes a world of difference with felt recoil and there is not a significant amount of muzzle flash at all I highly recommend it. I run very hot 10 mm and it’s a pleasure to shoot.

#16 ·
Had a ported 41 mag Titanium, 4" revolver. Insanely and painfully LOUD. Sold it.
Had a ported 16", 45-70 levergun. Shot a coyote without hearing protection...insanely and painfully loud. My ears rang for 3 days. Rebarreled to unported 18".

Concensus...no gun of mine will ever be ported!

#17 ·
Almost anything that improves control is a good thing. The .357 Magnum revolver tends to have a large flash, unless downloaded, which reduces fight-stopping capacity. If there's a large flash out the muzzle, will there not be flashes from the ports? I would think that MORE flash may impede the shooter's vision in low(er)-light conditions, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.