Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to locate a S&W Terrier, 38S&W cal. I have the orignal box red with a paste on label. I had a stroke 9/11/02 and didn't have time to put it in the safe, while I was in hospital it walked off. It wouldn't matter so much but my father gave it to my mom way back when. I need a model number so I can look for it, the label says Smith & Wesson Terrier 38 S&W cal. 2"bbl. Blue, no model #. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you: [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
If it was made after 1958, then it was the Model 32. Could aslo get a model 33 (also in 38SW) with a 2" barrel, but they had square butt grips.

If it was made befoire 1958, then it could be listed as a "Hand Ejector" or as a "Regulation Police", but most people today just call it a "Terrier".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks!

ribbonstone said:
If it was made after 1958, then it was the Model 32. Could aslo get a model 33 (also in 38SW) with a 2" barrel, but they had square butt grips.

If it was made befoire 1958, then it could be listed as a "Hand Ejector" or as a "Regulation Police", but most people today just call it a "Terrier".

Thank you for info. Any idea on age, the box has instructions printed on inside of lid, but Mom had the pistol
before I was born in 1946.

Thanks again; chatshooter :D :D

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Without the gun in hand, best guess is that it was probably made before WWII (when it was more popular)...either way, the box type predates the 1950's. Not too sure when production cranked up again after WWII, but the box is more 1930's than anything else (few boxes survive in comparison to the number of pistols).

Bad news...most of the stuff that goes "missing" in your circumstances was "borrowed" by someone with access to the house. Best play it is to be vocally thankful (even if it is decietful to act that way) and start with being "thankful" for the job of watching out for your stuff...but if they know where they put it, you'd, like it back now before you declare it stolen and have to police enter the search.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again ribbonstone

ribbonstone said:
Without the gun in hand, best guess is that it was probably made before WWII (when it was more popular)...either way, the box type predates the 1950's. Not too sure when production cranked up again after WWII, but the box is more 1930's than anything else (few boxes survive in comparison to the number of pistols).

Bad news...most of the stuff that goes "missing" in your circumstances was "borrowed" by someone with access to the house. Best play it is to be vocally thankful (even if it is decietful to act that way) and start with being "thankful" for the job of watching out for your stuff...but if they know where they put it, you'd, like it back now before you declare it stolen and have to police enter the search.
I turned it over to the police about three weeks after I found it missing. My wife had folks staying in our home while I was in hospital 6 weeks. It has "GONE WITH THE WIND".
Thank you again, chatshooter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Terrier Questions

This thread died without being resolved. Are you still looking for information re. this gun? I am interested in helping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts