Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a fan of the underdog when it came to sports and I think that transitioned into guns and hunting as well. I love to walk into camp with an odd ball gun just to see the look on peoples faces. Since I was a kid, I have been intrigued with single shot breech loading weapons, especially those of the 19th century. To date I have shot more deer with my Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 carbine than any other gun I own. Second only to that would be a Sharps carbine in .50-70. A few years back I picked up a .577 Snider carbine and chose it to use on the cow elk hunt last year. Unfortunately, I never saw any close enough to shoot at, but you should have seen the looks, and the questions I got. Of course the question of the day was, "does it really shoot?" "No, I'm just packing it around to throw at an elk when I see one!" I wanted to say. Just curious as to what odd balls you have all toted into the hunting field?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've hunted doe deer with a grade 5 browning citori using slugs.........in 410.

Also hunted doe deer with a custom XP-100 in 17mach IV using Barnes 25gr. originals.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
.458 American Ruger M77.

Reactions: Savage Hunter

·
Registered
381 Posts
Back in later 1960s, bought a 1879 Argentine rolling block in 43 Spanish. 43 Spanish cartridge has similar reload data of a 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield. Also, it is possible to shoot 43 Mauser ammo in it and use its brass for reloading. Anyway, took the 1879 Argentine deer hunting a couple of times back then, but never saw a deer to shoot when I had it with me.

Past weekend, a fellow range member took me pig hunting on his lease. I hadn't hunted for well over 35 years. I put a 70 gr Nosler varmit bullet fired from my 6mm-223 (aka 6x45) between the eyes of about a year old boar from 100 yds away. He dropped instantly when hit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stevens Crackshot 26. It was my dads 'boys rifle' in 1920 then mine in 1955. It is my most often used rifle to this day. It has accounted for countless head of game and vermin. Dad kept us fed with it back in the '50's on government whitetailed "beef" that invaded his farm fields. One shot behind the ear and down they went. Farmers then managed deer as if they were livestock.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

7x57R (drilling)

.303 Savage (Model 1899)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
a Japanese Arisaka rechambered to 300 Savage. This was Fairbanks Alaska. The ammo was available in town so off we went to hunt caribou. Glad I never got one because the meat gives everyone bad, bad gas, even the eskimoes.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
I've always been a fan of the underdog when it came to sports and I think that transitioned into guns and hunting as well. I love to walk into camp with an odd ball gun just to see the look on peoples faces. Since I was a kid, I have been intrigued with single shot breech loading weapons, especially those of the 19th century. To date I have shot more deer with my Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 carbine than any other gun I own. Second only to that would be a Sharps carbine in .50-70. A few years back I picked up a .577 Snider carbine and chose it to use on the cow elk hunt last year. Unfortunately, I never saw any close enough to shoot at, but you should have seen the looks, and the questions I got. Of course the question of the day was, "does it really shoot?" "No, I'm just packing it around to throw at an elk when I see one!" I wanted to say. Just curious as to what odd balls you have all toted into the hunting field?
I think I have bullets and brass for your 577 if your interested, pm me.

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Well, here in the UK and also when I go to Slovenia, the T/C Encore with a 16 1/2 inch barrel is a bit of a surprise. In particular when I change barrels for different species on the day. Add to that my wildcat barrel/cartridge, which I believe to be the only one of a kind in the world and that really flips them. Probably would not turn a head in the USA.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I've used my .458 X 2" American, in a customized Remington 722, for Deer on several occasions. Also used a Marlin M-27 pump action chambered for the .25 Stevens Long for a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
oldest caliber,

45/70 and 45 colt.

oldest gun,

1914 made Remington model 14 pump in 35rem.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I guess that would be my Verney-Carron Sagittaire in 9.3x74R. It's going on another trip in 3 months.

Not quite as odd as the 9.3x74R, I've collected big game with other somewhat odd ones like .257 R, .356 win, .350RM, 9.3x62, .375 Win, .38-55 Win and .450 Marlin.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
Have hunted paper targets with both my .300-caliber and .358-caliber mildcats. Have been quite successful every time I take them out...

Reactions: broom_jm
1 - 20 of 159 Posts