Shooters Forum banner

81 - 100 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
My oddest calibres I hunt with are 500NE and 505 Gibbs, do not here mention of those 2 in many deer camps. Lol.
I hunt deer with them to keep my eye in with them.

Cheers.
:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I have two oddballs the first was a Win 94 in 32-40. This was back in the 70s and I searched high and low for ammo as I didn't handload then. I finally found some John Wayne ammo and got a few boxes. The gun had come from an uncle with half a box of old ammo but about half of those were duds. I never saw a deer while I was hunting with that rifle. I heard later and I don't know if it was true but that ammo was loaded down.
The second rifle was a Win 1886 in 45-90. As we couldn't find 45-90 ammo at that time we used 45-70 ammo. We used the low power 45-70 for trapdoor Springfields and I remember that it had a lot of drop at 100yards. Being a dumb kid I loaded that gun up with as many rounds as I could so it ended up weighting about 15 lbs. Never saw a deer while hunting with that gun either.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been known to hunt gray squirrels with a .50 caliber flintlock rifle, sporting a 42-inch barrel. (A left-handed Dixie Tennessee Mountain rifle.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most Unusual Gun Hunted With???

Make mine a Sako Hunter in .416 Remington Magnum.......And, very little meat destruction!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The oddest caliber I have ever hunted with is Caliber 38-72 in the 1895 Winchester. Most people have never heard of it or seen the cartridge.
The oddest gun I ever hunted with is Model 1876 Saddle Ring Carbine in caliber 45-75 WCF

·
Registered
145 Posts
The oldest gun and caliber I have personally hunted with was a vintage 8mm Mauser. Not all that old compared to some of what I have seen above, but since it was a WW one rifle, it is now about 100 years old. It was not that old when I used it to kill my first deer about 35 years ago, and it is now re-barreled to 338 Win. Mag. I wanted to make it an 8 mm magnum but the action was too short for that round.

·
Registered
13 Posts
60 cal flintlock with a patched round ball. My rifle is a bench copy of the Lion and Lamb gun built by Andreas Albreigth, in Christian Springs PA, about 1770. I have harvested five clean deer kills with this gun.:D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unusual calibres

I have done a lot w/45-70 (both Marlin 1895 GG & pride & joy Original Action Winchester Hi-Wall) using Pile Drivers in Marlin & 550 gr. PaperPatched in Win.
Unusual has been my Rem. Original Action RollingBlock 40-70 Straight Sharps -- w/405 gr. PaperPatched --& my Ruger Mini 14 in 6mm.X45mm.
Lotsa Fun, but the ole BPCs ARE HEAVY !!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh as a follow-up !!! Lying prone on top of small knoll waiting for critters -- @ 750 metres with .338 Rogue --

& my hat's off to all others in the "Basket of Deplorables" -- & May God Bless!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Oddball cartridges

Cape Buffalo with 50 Alaskan, 348 Winchester, 35 Remington and Whelen for moose and mountain goat, 7MM TCU on mule deer, caribou with 8MM Remington mag.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ruger Old Army

How about a Ruger Old Army 200th year revolver. About 20 yrs ago I was hunting with my TC Flint Lock White Mountain Carbine. Missed a doe at 40 yds. She ran towards me and stopped about 35/40 yds to my right, broadside in an open cut, cornfield. It was during muzzle loading season so the only thing I had for a back up was the Ruger Old Army. Pulled that out of my holster and shot. No indication of a hit. She ran about 25 yds and stopped, then fell over. When field dressing her I felt a lump under the skin on her far side, there I fould my round ball. It had gone through both lungs and did not hit a bone. Bullet could have been shot again. It was still perfectly round only with slight rifling on it. Here is a pic of the revolver and the recovered round ball.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Back in the late 80's and early 90's I was playing around with interchangeable barrels on a 310 Cadet Martini, nod ended up with a couple of barrels that I chambered for necked down .357 Maximum cases and ended up with 1 barrel in 357 Max one barrel in 6.5 mm, one in .30 cal. All three were good for our white tails, but I liked the 6.5 the best. Took three white tails with it in two years, and one each with the .30 and the .357.

Lee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not odd, but effective

Shot an 8pt Whitetail 77 yards away with my 6" Colt Python .357, reloaded 158grn Rem JHP, blew the top of it's heart off.
Also shot an 8pt with my SA GI AI 1911 .45ACP, reloaded 230 grn Federal HST, 25 feet away, heart shot again

·
Registered
703 Posts
Cape Buffalo with 50 Alaskan, 348 Winchester, 35 Remington and Whelen for moose and mountain goat, 7MM TCU on mule deer, caribou with 8MM Remington mag.
I too have a 348 Win, I think it's a Win Model '73, it's rather rusty, so have never fired it or even bought ammo for it! The bore looks as rough as the Bearing Straits.

Cheers.
:D

·
Premium Member
14,570 Posts
MM-- If it's a .348 it is a Model 71 (thick-wall, deluxe M'86) and the action is worth nearly a grand. Rust makes little difference.

Reactions: Tnhunter and jimg

·
Registered
250 Posts
Believe it or not, there are still people that have never heard of a .41 Magnum. I've been hunting with a Ruger NMB with a 6.5 inch barrel for over 30 years with some success. And still get asked, "a 41 what???"
That's not hard to believe, I own a .41 Magnum; so I've seen it first hand.

I can go one better though. I overheard two kids who'd borrowed their uncle's rifle asking for the ammo, he'd told them to use. The sporting goods associate says, "He must have meant .223. There's no such thing as a .222."

My oddest caliber/rifle combination a Savage 340 in .225 Winchester. I used on a coyote hunt with its owner.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
OLD but not guns.

As a kid I took rabbits with stones & fish with pointy sticks. Rocks & sticks, about as old school as it gets. Light years ahead came sling shots/ homemade bow & arrows/ bb guns.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've taken several deer with a Thompson Center 10" bbl'd handgun chambered for the 7mmTCU. With a Leupold 4X EER scope, it is one accurate hunting handgun.

81 - 100 of 162 Posts