Shooters Forum banner

101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've hunted with a lot of odd calibers. I am on a rotation to shoot a deer with all the center fire rifles that I have.

351 Win
401 Win
38-55
35 Win
307 Win
356 Win
30 USA
Is that a Win 401 self loading, if so where do you get your ammo?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Y'know, I'd love to shoot a Rem Model 81. They look like fun little rifles.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I shot a big doe in Pennsylvania hunting with a 45 caliber flintlock rifle. The animal bounded away at the shot but toppled over after a run of approx 50 yards.

TR

·
Registered
260 Posts
I used rocks to kill Blue Grouse in the Rockies when I didn't want to make much noise while hunting. I have a wildcat cartridge in 30 cal. built from 8 x 68S case. Shot elk with that cartridge. From rocks to magnums, I've used them both.

·
Registered
703 Posts
MM-- If it's a .348 it is a Model 71 (thick-wall, deluxe M'86) and the action is worth nearly a grand. Rust makes little difference.
Thanks JBelk, it was my Grandfathers rifle, we found it in the rafters of the hay shed wrapped in hessian cloth and greased on the outside, unfortunately the bore is very badly rusted and has obstructions through it.
Where would I find what Model the rifle is? We have never found any markings other than it's a Winchester on the barrel and the chambering in 348Win.

Cheers.
:confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have killed deer and javelinas with a 1907 .351 Winchester Self Loader that according to the serial number came from the factory in 1923.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Thanks JBelk, it was my Grandfathers rifle, we found it in the rafters of the hay shed wrapped in hessian cloth and greased on the outside, unfortunately the bore is very badly rusted and has obstructions through it.
Where would I find what Model the rifle is? We have never found any markings other than it's a Winchester on the barrel and the chambering in 348Win.

Cheers.
:confused:
Very great find! The M71 and .348 are rather odd birds, both. The only rifle ever chambered in .348 was the M71 Win (a beefed up M1886) and the only cartridge that the M71 was ever chambered in was the .348 Win. So an interesting and rather unique pair.

·
Premium Member
14,355 Posts
MagnumManiac--

There was only one .348 Winchester and that's in the Model 71 rifle. It should say Winchester, ect, then Model 71 and then the caliber on the same line.

That gun would be a great candidate for a rebore or re-barrel. The action is the strongest of the 1886 pattern and a joy to behold.

There were two grades as standard and many options. The Deluxe rifles have a neat, bolt-mounted peep sight. All were drilled and tapped for side-mounted receiver sights.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Is that a Win 401 self loading, if so where do you get your ammo?
Yes it is the 1910 Winchester self loader.
I load my own. The bullet diameter is 406, makes sense for a 401 right. Hunting bullets I size down 41 Mag bullets. Brass is made from 7.62X39 brass. Plated bullets can be bought from Grafs at a very reasonable price.

Not sure where to buy ammo.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Hmm. Not super odd, but out of date. I plan to hunt with my Remington model 8 in .30 Remington this season, if I can get the front sight to settle down.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I believe it was Bacon when I worked at the local grocers and it was with a price gun!!!! ROFL

Reactions: Trent12

·
Registered
368 Posts
I am third generation owner of a Winchester model 54 carbine in 30-06. Rifle was restocked decades ago following a horse rubbing it against a tree. The stock was from the now defunct Fajan company in Missouri and it looks better for its age than my wife.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I am third generation owner of a Winchester model 54 carbine in 30-06. Rifle was restocked decades ago following a horse rubbing it against a tree. The stock was from the now defunct Fajan company in Missouri and it looks better for its age than my wife.
Great rifles. Saved one from rust for a friend years ago for an article. Now it's mine. Only part of the finish I didn't save was the butt plate. Horse urine did the bluing in where it sat against a stall wall.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have lots off offbeat chamberings. As far as the oddest or most uncommon ones I've used to kill critters with...………..

Bear...…….. .375 Wby Mag

Deer...…… .221 Fireball

Vermin...… 5mm Rem Rim Mag

101 - 120 of 158 Posts