Shooters Forum banner

121 - 140 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I hunted squirrel once with a Stevens Crackshot that belonged to my great grandfather. It's chambered for .32 short rimfire and I used the ammo imported by Navy Arms some time back. I never got a shot, and now .32's are illegal for small game in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I inherited an original Springfield Trapdoor in 45-70 with a 32 inch barrel, that is in like new condition to me and any one else I have showed it to. From the best hunting and shooting partner, I ever had other than my Son a couple of years ago, when my old friend passed away. He asked me to use and shoot the guns he was leaving to me, and not just keep them locked away in a gun safe. Well I have really started hunting and shooting the Old Trapdoor a lot for about a year now. And I like it more every time I shoot it, because the Old Gun is just so unbelievably accurate. I have killed several pigs and a few deer with it so far. And believe it or not, I have even killed three coyotes with it. While I have been out carrying it around.
I even shoot at some Steel Silhouettes with it out to 100 yds & 200 yds. And if I do my part the my scores aren't bad at all and seem to be getting better . My load for most all of our 45-70`s is 35grs of IMR3031 and a Hard Cast RNFP 405 gr Bullet a about 1250 FPS to 1300 FPS. I really am enjoying shooting this old rifle.
ken

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Years ago I toppled an Ohio doe with an antique Iver Johnson shotgun in 16 gauge. Ammo was standard #1 buckshot which patterned quite well with this full choke. The shot was taken at about 15 yards and struck the chest organs with most of the buckshot. The animal bounded away but fell over after a short run. Good performance!

TR

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Culled impala at night in the late 1970s with a Harrington & Richardson .410 shotgun receiver onto which an 18" .357 Magnum barrel and silencer was fitted to shoot a 180 gr solid brass flat nose bullet at 1,000 ft/sec.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Although I never hunted deer with it, I have shot a few rabbits with an original Winchester 1873 in 38-40. Cast 180 gr. bullets bought from Brownell's with a black powder charge. I might have to try it again at some point...but it has been a wall hanger now for over 30 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw a guy shot a racoon with a 458 Winchester magnum. Racoon was about 10 feet long after that. That the weirdest caliber choice I've ever seen.

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
While not odd among gun aficionados mine has been .250 Savage and a .257 AI.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess mine would me a .303 Savage Model 99. I am like all you other guys here. I love odd stuff.

·
Registered
34 Posts
8x56R Mannlicher Straight Pull Carbine.

I have no idea how it works. Pull the bolt straight back to eject, straight forward to battery. No bolt rotation. Clip loaded from top, ejects clip from bottom when spent. Freaky light gun that kicks like a mule. 220g at 2300 fps.
I have one of these too, and they’re great on hogs. The bolt does rotate, but internally. The straight pull was designed to be faster to cycle than a turn bolt, but to get that speed on the Steyr 95/30 you have to yank it like your life depends on it.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/57m5YJ

·
Registered
34 Posts
Haven’t seen anyone say .30 carbine out of an old M1 carbine, so I’ll add that too. I’ve shot rabbits and javelina with it, and I would shoot a turkey if I could find one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No longer uncommon

I frequently hunt with a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser Model 94 with an 18.5" barrel that I bought 59 years ago for $25, that price included 4 boxes of soft point hunting ammo. Had I left the rifle alone it would be a valuable firearm, but many years ago I "sporterized" it; new stock, Timney trigger, scope mounts, removal of barrel bands and military sights, bolt modification, etc. This cartridge is no longer that uncommon, Remington, CZ, Barrett, Sauer and others make 6.5x55 rifles. This rifle was my first sub 1 MOA rifle, shooting dime sized groups at 100 yards.

·
Registered
133 Posts
A Swiss K31 7.5x55 with Hornady 165 grain factory loads. Popped a jumping doe. She died in mid air. She tucked her head in and rolled up in a ball when she hit the ground.
Got 4 deer with my repop P53 Enfield .577. 70 gr of 3f Elephant and a 460 grain Lyman 575213OS. Works great on Yankee deer!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Probably a 375x62, a wildcat made by opening up the 9.3x62 to a 375 bullet...A 300 gr. bullet at 2500 FPS max load..Pretty close to a 375 H&H, but no belt, however a 375 H&H will push the same bullet to 2650 FPS, but everyone I know shoots their 375 at 2500 with a 300 gr. bullet, at least on cape buffalo..It does perfrom better IMO, as bullet integrity is more likely..An excellent wildcat for Cape Buffalo all in all..

·
Registered
111 Posts
A borrowed Siamese Mauser in 45-70 for hogs. Was definatly not under- gunned. Kept looking for the lever to chamber another round though. Very confusing.

121 - 140 of 158 Posts