Shooters Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
.375 Hawk-Scoville (.375/06)
Bought a heavy .375 blank barrel from Midway and installed it on old, but low-mileage Montgomery Ward (Mossberg) rifle in place of the original .30/06. I left it full OD but cut it to 20" long. Looks sort of like a mortar but it will shoot 1/2" groups with 57 Gr. of 4064 and a 200 grain Sierra Game King.

Its first blood was a turkey at 50 yards. I held at the top of his back just inside the feathers and touched off. It looked like a pillow factory exploded. I remember thinking "Well, that turkey's ruined..." but that turned out not to be the case. Just a little divot on the back and no damage to any meat, unless you count the giblets. Heart, liver and all his internal organs just poured out like lumpy half-curdled jello when I opened him up.

Feathers were still drifting down twenty minutes later while I gathered up my gear to leave. I don't know where they all came from.

·
Registered
5 Posts
...or maybe a Makarov in.380 ACP
I arrived at my lease early one morning intending to hunt with the .375 Hawk/Scoville mentioned above, but when I opened the plastic ammo box all I had with me was primed brass. I almost turned around and went home but decided to put out some doe pee & sit for a while anyway and see what showed up.

I thought briefly about the .380 but knew it would be unlikely to have a shot close enough to attempt with the little pistol. Well, about an hour after daylight I started hearing snuffling, huffing, and feet scratching in the dry leaves just outside my hollowed-out Cedar bush. I was pretty disgusted now, thinking someone's bloomin' dog was sniffing around. I just knew it was a dog - there was that much noise, sniffing and general commotion.

I turned to look and standing there, not five feet away was a nice buck looking for the "doe" that left all that scent. Not huge, but a shooter. The only problem was the brush between us. I was in a big, thick "salt cedar" with limbs all the way to the ground. I had trimmed just enough to allow a folding chair up against the trunk, and a "window" to shoot through. Problem was, the buck was almost 180 degrees from where the window was so there was no shot available through the branches.

I watched him amble away never having any clue I was there.

Several years earlier I actually used that same pistol to apply the finishing touch to a buck that was down due to less than perfect arrow placement.

·
Registered
514 Posts
.30-20-220 in a T/C Contender rifle. The gun/cartridge combo may not be so odd, but using a 220-grain Sierra RN is. Subsonic loads killed deer much better than most would believe and were relatively quiet, not much louder than a .22RF.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Other than the 32-20 I mentioned two years earlier, I also dove hunted with a Lefever 10 gauge made circa 1883. It was fun.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Model 1898 30-40 Krag, made in 1898. Took my first doe with it, 75+ years since my dad took his first deer with it while home on leave from Army in 1940. Got a pic of him in uniform with the Krag and the deer. He looked.....young!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
my great father, pap, dad, my late uncle, my son and i have killed many deer with the krag. i was first that killed a deer with cast boolits. even tho the krag was bubbaed up, its still great!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not really too exotic or odd but I used a old mosin nagant for several years as a kid. It was that or a shotgun till I finally bucked enough hay and busted enough wood to buy a used Marlin 30-30. Which I promptly broke by falling off a horse trying to get off and get a shot at a doe.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The oddest cartridge I have hunted with is a 6mm-30. It is a very old wild cat that never caught on but I chambered my brothers 6mm TCU in a TCR for this cartridge after he wasn't happy with the TCU. It was an easy job and the performance was much better - exceeding my brothers requirement in both velocity and accuracy. I got a white tail at about 75 yards with a heart shot that dropped the deer where it was standing. My brother uses head and neck shots routinely with great results.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
A beautiful little Browning A-Bolt Medlion in 243 WSSM. The cartridge is long gone, but I have an ample supply of brass. My wife and Son teamed up and bought this for me one year when I was dealing with severe pain and was flinching badly with my 7mm Mag. Very accurate and easy to carry with minimum recoil. I have not hunted with it in a number of years. Might have to bring it back to to life pretty soon.

Bullet selection is critical with this one. Could not find a factory load that had a bullet that would hold together. Started loading Barnes 85 grain TTSX. Only problem is those short fat cartridges do not want to feed properly. I cannot remember if I have the bugs worked out. Need to check my notes and load up some more.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That would be my .505 SRE (Short Range Express), a cartridge I cooked up back in the late 60's with the cooperation of the late John Buhmiller. It worked well enough to account for one rhino, three elephants and five Cape buffalo. It drives a 570 grain full metal jacketed bullet at 2150 fps. The rifle, based on a P-14 Enfield action, weighs 8 3/4 pounds.

DANG NICE CAPES !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A beautiful little Browning A-Bolt Medlion in 243 WSSM. The cartridge is long gone, but I have an ample supply of brass. My wife and Son teamed up and bought this for me one year when I was dealing with severe pain and was flinching badly with my 7mm Mag. Very accurate and easy to carry with minimum recoil. I have not hunted with it in a number of years. Might have to bring it back to to life pretty soon.

Bullet selection is critical with this one. Could not find a factory load that had a bullet that would hold together. Started loading Barnes 85 grain TTSX. Only problem is those short fat cartridges do not want to feed properly. I cannot remember if I have the bugs worked out. Need to check my notes and load up some more.
Winchester 94/ 38-55 with 255 gr. cast make a clean deer killer.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
About the oldest cartridge I used for Hunting is the .25 Stevens Long. Years ago (1975) I purchased a "well-used" Marlin Model 27S pump action rifle, that was in fair/good condition, with a rough bore & rifling. I used this rifle a few times for hunting Squirrels and bagged a few with this rifle. The ammunition was of Canadian make and when fired it made sort of a "Puff" muzzle blast. I was lucky to find this ammo at a local Gun Store in Evansville, Indiana so I bought three boxes @ around $8 each. Other than my .44-40 this is the oldest cartridge I've used for hunting.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
First deer I ever scared was with my Grandpa's very old Winchester '92 in 25-20. I was 12 and that was a loooong time ago!

141 - 158 of 158 Posts