Shooters Forum banner

What is the oddest gun/caliber you've hunted with?

25K views 169 replies 135 participants last post by  leverite 
#1 ·
I've always been a fan of the underdog when it came to sports and I think that transitioned into guns and hunting as well. I love to walk into camp with an odd ball gun just to see the look on peoples faces. Since I was a kid, I have been intrigued with single shot breech loading weapons, especially those of the 19th century. To date I have shot more deer with my Springfield Trapdoor .45-70 carbine than any other gun I own. Second only to that would be a Sharps carbine in .50-70. A few years back I picked up a .577 Snider carbine and chose it to use on the cow elk hunt last year. Unfortunately, I never saw any close enough to shoot at, but you should have seen the looks, and the questions I got. Of course the question of the day was, "does it really shoot?" "No, I'm just packing it around to throw at an elk when I see one!" I wanted to say. Just curious as to what odd balls you have all toted into the hunting field?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.