Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,508 Posts
Contact Leupold, they should know what it is called ;)

I think the "thicker" bottom post is more common in Europe. One of many reticle options, for sure.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,508 Posts
It sounds like whoever answered the phone, isn't familiar with their product line. "German" is about as good of a name, as anything, for that sort of reticle. Works well in low light.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
It could be an after market modification by Premier Reticles, who did many custom reticle replacements on Leupold scopes in the 80's and 90's, heavily for the benchrest communities. I had them change out two Leupold 6x Compact scopes from duplex to fine crosshair for hunter class rifles. The working relationship between Leupold and Premier fell apart at some point.
I did read that at one point Leupold did offer a reticle called the Post and Crosshair (P & C) that was described as full fine crosshairs with a solid post coming from the bottom to the mid point, as yours appears to be. I could not varify that with photos, however.

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
The new? Post & Crosshairs reticle Leupold would retrofit in older Leupold Scopes was a different version. It was a Duplex type reticle minus the heavy part of the top post. I had Leupold retrofit an older Vari-XII in 2-7 with that reticle 5 or 6 yrs ago. I know Bushnell called a similar reticle in some of their Scopechief models that were regular crosshairs and turning a knob would make a heavy bottom post appear the post and crosshairs. Magic 😁

Try as I might, I just couldn't get that new post & crosshairs Leupold that's on top of a custom 280 I own to focus for a picture. Sigh......

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
. I know Bushnell called a similar reticle in some of their Scopechief models that were regular crosshairs and turning a knob would make a heavy bottom post appear the post and crosshairs. Magic 😁

Try as I might, I just couldn't get that new post & crosshairs Leupold that's on top of a custom 280 I own to focus for a picture. Sigh......
The Bushnell Scopechief reticle was called the 'Command post', meaning you could command it to appear or disappear.

The Leupold reticle you are talking about, I believe is the German #4, is this what yours looks like?:

Wood Fixture Circle Tints and shades Symmetry
Wood Fixture Circle Tints and shades Symmetry

Premier Reticle version of the #4 German:
Window Fixture Leaf Botany Natural environment
Window Fixture Leaf Botany Natural environment

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
I have had 6 or 8 reticle replacements from Leupold. Probably 3 or 4 have been the #4 from Leupold and it is my favorite. I also had 3 or 4 done in Heavy Duplex another favorite. The Post and Duplex one was recommended by a good friend and I did one in it and it's exactly how I described it. Similar to a #4, except that the 3 heavy portions are less heavy than #4 and look exactly like a Heavy Duplex minus the heavy portion of the top post. It's clearly not a #4 because the heavier posts are pointed just like a Duplex or HD (not flat like a #4). That reticle and the other two I ordered were through the Custom Shop at Leupold which has been closed now for some 3 or so years. So, like I said, it's apparently a new custom version that had been available for retrofit from their custom shop for years until they closed to put everyone on the production line in order to ramp up production for more $$.

Poor pic here using flash to make the crosshairs glow. Post and crosshair installed by Leupold custom shop maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago.

Eye Automotive lighting Automotive tire Camera lens Cameras & optics

Reactions: crooked creek

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Definitely different than a G #4. I like the way the taper 'leads' from the wide into the rather narrow hair section. It is a shame the custom shop closed and that the relationship with Premier ceased, as a lot of people would like something other than standard offerings.

P.S. The flash was a good move, the wide portions really stand out...well done!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts