Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be your dream or craziest idea /plan you have for a custom rifle build ?.Personally mine is and i know this is crazy:p:p:p.I want a 577 t-rex built on a 50 bmg action .I would like it on a viper 50 from bluegrass armoury but i have also emailed bohica,spider arms about upper's made in a 577 t-rex caliber .With a 35-37" barrel cylindrical style muzzle brake .Not really into the baffle muzzle brake.A 577 in a 30 lbs rifle will have a recoil of 70 ft lbs with 12 recoil fps ...less than my shotgun(86 ft lbs @ 30 fps lol) with factory 750 grainers @ 2500 fps .Now the load i work handload is a 1000 grain boatail @ 2200 fps with 10,700 ft lbs of energy http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/p...097063.qscstrfrnt01?productId=52&categoryId=6 has a ballistic coeffientcy of .870 + drops to about 34' @ 1000 yd's with 4200 ft lbs of energy about like a 338 win mag or 8mm rem mag at the muzzle.Now i know this seems crazy but when i have a idea i like to tell people about it because im excited lol

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
and on the other end.... I would like to take a .221 Rem Fireball in a Browning high-wall and neck it UP to .24 caliber ...witha semi-heavy contour bbl, would be a real fun varmint plunker, and still be useful for deer and suchlike ..... no recoil, shoot all day comfortably, bullets would be cheap, brass readily available, reload nicely, (I can still SEE .24 cal bullets).... and the grandkids could shoot it too.....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Am planning on putting a stainless 26" .264 Win Magnum barrel on a Savage action soon. Aftermarket recoil lug, will send the bolt off to Fred over at SSS for fluting (you gotta check out his work), aftermarket trigger @ 3 pounds, and the rest I'll have to work out in my head. May go synthetic on the stock, may leave the one I have now as it's a 114 checkered walnut stock with black forend and looks sharp. If I stay with it I will have to bed the action. Scope will probably be Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I would like a 20'' synthetic stock 45-70 bolt action. With that being said I would not even know where to begin building it.
I considered a very similar type rifle, a bolt action in .450 Marlin. I actually talked to someone about the build and found it would be a fairly simple one, usin a fairly common bolt face size. The company I spoke to was E.R. Shaw and it would have been built by them. E.R. Shaw will build a custom rifle using their barrels and a Savage 116/16 type SS action and synthetic or laminate stock. The price is only around $700 or so in base form. For the record, I think the .450 might make a better caliber due to it's smaller rim.

This is a copy of a an email sent to a prospective customer:

Good afternoon
Thanks for asking about the ER Shaw Mark VII rifle. Due to the fact that the Mark VII can be manufactured and assembled in a few hundred different combinations based on the options we offer for them there is no breakdown on the web site for building one, that is being addressed but as of right now e-mail or the phone is the easiest way for me to quote one. Later in this e-mail I will give you a list of options and std features of the Mark VII rifle. The Mark VII turnaround time to manufacture and assemble is in the 8 to 10 month area to complete. All Mark VII orders are also billed up front prior to the order being submitted for manufacturing. After you get a chance to look over the options for the rifle feel free to e-mail me and I can quote one out for you. After the rifle is assembled it must be shipped to an FFL dealer in your home town so you can fill out a 4473 and go thru the background check system. The approx. weight of the Mark VII series of rifles is between 7 3/4 pound and 9 pounds, we do not offer a lightweight or mountain rifle weight rifle, nothing in the 7 pound or less area. Due to the fact that the Mark VII can be built in so many options there is no spec. sheet of weights based on possible build, there are to many possible combinations and variations.

Here is a list of the options:
right hand
left hand
short action
long action
4140 material
416 stainless material
high polished or matte blue on 4140 material bbl/actions
polished or bead blasted finish on 416 stainless steel bbl/actions
or a combination of the materials and finishes
either our #2.5 or #3 contours (you can see the individual dimensions of these barrels on our web sites contour page)
barrel lengths from 16 1/4" to 26"
recessed or 11 degree crowns
un-fluted or fluted barrel option, either straight or helical flutes
a std injection molded plastic classic design stk
a Boyd's JRS model walnut stock, checkered
2 Boyd's JRS model laminate stocks, pepper or nutmeg colors options
14 bore sizes
over 80 different chamberings, you can see a complete list on our web site @ www.ershawbarrels.com

std features:

drilled and tapped
.250 recoil lug
Savage Accu-trigger
3 position safety
recoil pad on stocks
swivel studs
the Boyd's JRS stocks are glass bedded at the recoil lug/breech area
the Syn stock is pillar bedded

I hope this info helps, please take a look at the caliber's and the 2 barrel contours for the rifles and after you get a chance to look it all over let me know how you would like one put together and I will quote it out.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Guess I cant decide which extreme I like better, cause I want two: a left handed bolt action in 22 Hornet(quiet and cheap and comfortable to shoot) and a left handed bolt action 45-70( more expensive to shoot and more noise and recoil, but you gotta love a 45 caliber rifle!) I think itd be cool to have octogon barrels on both, probably a scope on the hornet, and maybe a good set of peep sights on the 45-70. Oh yeah, Id want em both made by the same manufacturer so they looked and operated the same too. LOL

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think I want a .340 just like Beartracker has. See his post. Or maybe a .30-378 set up with the same components.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
problem with a 45/70 is the rim .You have to stack them a certain way so they dont catch each other when reloading.but if not using it for a dangerous game gun it's perfect for all else.THe did make a saimese mauser and a lee enfield in 45/70 @ one time or another .Has a few more quirks to work out than a average build but hey it would be worth it.Also a bolt action could handle those marlin/ruger +p loads .Also you could load it with tsx tipped 300 grain bullet to 2300 fps .

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I've been considering a ER Shaw but they still do not offer a 9.3x62! Going to build one myself on a 1930s BRNO 98 action. I would also like a mini 98 action in 6.8 SPC for a short, lightweight carbine.

CD

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
problem with a 45/70 is the rim .You have to stack them a certain way so they dont catch each other when reloading.but if not using it for a dangerous game gun it's perfect for all else.THe did make a saimese mauser and a lee enfield in 45/70 @ one time or another .Has a few more quirks to work out than a average build but hey it would be worth it.Also a bolt action could handle those marlin/ruger +p loads .Also you could load it with tsx tipped 300 grain bullet to 2300 fps .
The rim on the 45-70 is why I figured the .450M to likely be a better choice in a bolt gun. It feeds fine from the box magazine of my BLR.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Not exactly crazy but my dream build would be a custom sporter on an '03 Springfield action. Old fashioned american classic style stock with a pancake cheekpiece in high grade walnut, barrel band sling swivel, and a period correct receiver sight.

Griffin and Howe made a lot of beautiful sporters on the Springfield but they're very expensive and impossible for me to buy anyway. I have a Springfield at home, and have never sold it just in case I decide to go that way one day.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Right now, I'm dreaming of a .470 Capstick done on a Model 70 Classic action that's sitting in a donor rifle in my safe as we speak. A nice piece of French walnut, a 22" or 23" medium contour barrel, a 0x or 1.5x power scope.............

It'll be a reality. It's just a matter of when.

·
Banned
604 Posts
.250 Savage

OK, as long as dreams are still free, I've got it in my craw that I would like a light, beautifully stocked bolt action .250-3000 Savage. If I could find one of the old SAKO actions (I forget the model designations from back then) that would be my prefference. I DO remember they all started with an "L". I would like a light, whispy 20" barrel all glass bedded into a piece of Turkish Walnut in the Mannlicher style. The forearm would be thin and tapered, right up to the steel muzzle cap. Fairly open wrist. It'll point like my best double barrel 20ga. Perhaps a 1.5-5X scope or even a straight 2.75X scope. I'd like the stock slim and trim and the whole get-up should weigh not much more than 6 1/2 pounds. Neidner butt plate and gripcap. The stock should be reminiscent of a Ruger RSI model, but much slimmer and trimmer and with a proper front swivel, the band which should encircle the stock. I could happily hunt the rest of my days with that. My big game activities are now strictly limited to Whitetails. The days when I'd spend a month in Canada after moose, or two weeks in Colorado chasing elk are long gone. A profound lack of wherewithall and this ****able Rheumatoid Arthritis negates far off adventures. As it is now I have to sit in a heated blind to even think of getting out in the field.

Enjoy your youth, gentlemen and ladies, it's fleeting. Get what you want NOW while you still can enjoy it. I regret that I didn't. But, dreams are free. They'll never take that away from me.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I would like a 20'' synthetic stock 45-70 bolt action. With that being said I would not even know where to begin building it.
A siamese Mauser has been a place many started. There are tricks to doing it right, but the magazine is curved to handle rimmed cartirdges as the Siamese standard cartridge was a rimmed cartridge. Most of the actions were built in Japan and are solid. Tough to find nowadays though.

I have one w/ a 26" barrel and it do throw the lead.

My dream rifle is on Gunbroker right now. All I need is an extra $2100 to buy a beautiful, A square custom 358 STA.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158487678

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.