Shooters Forum banner

what is your favorite non 1911 45 auto?

4K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  Jeepsnguns 
#1 ·
Seems every shooter just about owns or has shot a 1911. The .45, and it's performance and accuracy is renowned out of the 1911 in the hands of competent shooters.
There are many other .45 caliber launching platforms, some good, some not so good. Some steel, some poly, some stainless. something for everyone.

I came upon my non 1911 as a local PD trade-in gun. It is the the Smith 4506.
Issued to it's original owner with Novac lo-rise combat sites, it shot good enough to score the officer expert on the combat range, but upon coming into my possession for a pittance, it was not a tack driver. The 3 dot novacs did not allow me to hit consistantly enough to warrant even keeping it.
Searching the net, I came across a set of adjustable sights for the 4506 and snatched them up for meager price of 40 dollars used.

Installation was a snap and off to the range I went. I carried with me the 5 mags that came with the gun, and a few boxes of 200 grain SWC copper clad ammo. I dialed in at 10 yards, off a rest and them went to 25 to wring her out. After just one target I knew I had made the right decision.

Below is just one of the days targets, all of them about the same...some tighter, some more spread, but most just like this.

So just what is your favorite non 1911? What is your flavor of choice when not in the mood for "old slabsides"...

Chris~

See less See more
#3 ·
m141a said:
So just what is your favorite non 1911? What is your flavor of choice when not in the mood for "old slabsides"...Chris~
SIG Sauer P220 in .45 ACP. Fresh out of the box, shooting my own cast 200 gr. LSWCs one handed at a 25 yard timed & rapid fire target, the first five rounds were X's. Reloaded and fired the sixth round, another X. This rattled me so much that I pulled the target and put up another one. Didn't do that good on the second target so I began to settle down and enjoy the SIG much more. The six X target now rests on my garage wall just above the casting equipment.

#8 ·
P90. You wouldn't want to have to field-dress all the critters I've taken with it, at one sitting. Accurate enough, will feed anything, and makes a pretty good club when the magazines run dry. All Ruger forgot was a bayonet lug on it.... :D

#9 ·
Hey Guys,

I'll go along with Mike, the Ruger P-90. I've a buddy who has more than 300,000 rounds through his. It's carried continuously, and shot 50-100 rounds daily. It was sent back to Ruger for rehab, but they said nothing was out of tolerances.

Lobo in West Virginia

#12 ·
It would have to be my FN Model 1935 Browning High Power.

I also have my Glocks, Rugers, S&Ws, Walthers, and Colts. But that little baby just sticks out. Maybe because it's made by the same man that made the 1911. :D

#13 ·
You had a Browning 1935 converted to .45?...didn't know that there was enough room for that.

Have to add in my wife's old Star PD...still have it after all these years, and see no real reason to swicth to any of the ohter compact 45's....not enough difference in weight to get all excited about. But it is, more-or-less, a 1911 type semi-auto; not exactly, but you can see the 1911 design influence all though it.

#15 ·
ribbonstone said:
You had a Browning 1935 converted to .45?...didn't know that there was enough room for that.
Opps :D ...I thought the topic was about favorite pistols other than the 1911 .45 ACP pistol. Not a favorite Non-1911 pistol that's .45 ACP.

I wish I did know of a way to get a FN Model 1935
converted to .45 ACP. If I did know. I would've done it a long time ago. Sadly there isn't enough room on that frame for that caliber.

If it's a favortie pistol in .45 ACP thats not a 1911. I'd have to say my S&W Model 625. I just love that wheel gun.

#17 ·
Ruger P-90. Blasted thing is a tank, shoots like a 9mm because it soaks up the recoil and it points like my finger.

Taurus 945. Reliable and ALWAYS goes bang. Best compromise between the 1911 and the Ruger and Beretta to me and it fits my hands like the 1911.

#18 ·
I truly believe that the Rugers are tanks...Everything they designed is made to go to H#ll and back...

But I must say that they are some of the most ugly autos out there...just my opinion...

#25 ·
M141A I could not agree more about how important proper sites are I never liked the dots or white out lined sites for precision shooting they are only good for course shooting. the smallest group that I have ever seen fired with a service style semi auto was a USP simply amazing. for close combat style qualliffing I never loooked at the rear site anyway only focused on the target and the front site this has always been faster for me and gave very good results for shooting groups are at longer ranges of course a quality rear site is a must

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.