Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have lately gravitated to revolvers, even in my rimfire. I bought a 6" 617 first and like it, Ive mounted a Leupold DDP on it and will try to squirrel hunt this year with it. I later bought a 8 3/8" S&W 617. Ive mounted a Leupold 2.5x8 variable on it and am working on finding the ammo it likes the best. I also accumulated a S&W 647 8 3/8", I also mounted a Leupold 2.5x8 variable on it. It shoots AWESOME, but you have to clean it every couple of cylinders or it binds up. My last purchase was a 6" S&W 648 22WMR.

I take one of these with me whenever I shoot my 460 or my 500JRH, shoot the big gun, then a couple of cylinders through the rimfire, calms the nerves, haha

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive always wanted one of the Single Six Hunter's. My eyes make me need optics for hunting small game.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Ive always wanted one of the Single Six Hunter's. My eyes make me need optics for hunting small game.
I guess a scope can be placed on the hunter model. I looked at the sixes but went with the ten as the idea of only loading six at a time was not appealing. Actually loadin n unloading 10 is a bit of a chore and I don't shoot this one as much as I thought I would
The fiber sights make it much easier for my eyes to see the sights.

·
Super Moderator
13,252 Posts
I inherited a S&W K-frame 22 target revolver my Great Aunt bought new for $38 in 1936. The sights are too small by modern standards, but man does it have the most amazing trigger. The SA trigger is perfectly crisp and light. The DA of that old long-stroke design is so smooth and light compared to the modern short stroke designs as to be almost unbelievable.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I inherited a S&W K-frame 22 target revolver my Great Aunt bought new for $38 in 1936. The sights are too small by modern standards, but man does it have the most amazing trigger. The SA trigger is perfectly crisp and light. The DA of that old long-stroke design is so smooth and light compared to the modern short stroke designs as to be almost unbelievable.
My daugther's father in law has one of those old ones. At 25 yards, It will put as many holes into one ragged group as you care to shoot into it. Wish I'd have gotten me one of those back in the day. There are among the very best!!!

·
Premium Member
14,659 Posts
Well, it would be my Colt Officer's Model Match, but the K-22 is close. The Smith Model63, 2 3/4" round butt is great and several more strike my fancy.
I have a Bearcat Shopkeeper but it's too crude to be a favorite. (great disappointment in Ruger)

22 Revolvers are more fun than a monkey on a twenty foot grapevine, but I shoot the autos more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Woah! Favorite .22 revolver? Have had many, many thru the years and really liked a lot of them a lot. The single action Scout type Colts and Rugers are natural pointers for me and certainly as much fun as the aforementioned monkeys but alas they all seemed to leave home for some reason or another and always with the thought that I'll get another one cheap someday. Now days someday is the the day before yesterday and counting. However, I've always hung on to my Smith&Wesson .22/32 Kit Gun Model of 1953. Built on the I-frame Model of 1953, it is among the last of the Hand Ejector I-frame revolvers. I-frame changed to J in 10/1960 at 70,000 when the model type started to be applied to the J-framed guns. It's very accurate and reliable still looks like new. Round count?? Who knows? More than less to be sure tho. Whenever it comes out it rides in a fleece lined Heiser belt holster and gets a wipe before and after use. It's been submerged several times with no damage or rust. Complete strip/clean and thank the stars for a generous coating of RIG and the MOP grips instead of the factory diamonds. We don't do that kind of wet stuff together anymore because I fear that little .22 Revolver cannot be replaced and it's my favorite.

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Favorite.....not "best"....some just go along with your for a lot of miles.

One of the odd things about Louisiana hunting laws is that during some seasons, the only handgun you are allowed is a .22 with "rat shot". Guess they want you to have some basic snake defense, but not be able to poach.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I own only one rimfire revolver so it is my favorite. A S&W 317 Airlite snub nose. It is my walk in the woods gun.
Pete

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
633 Posts
At the moment it's a black Ruger Wrangler .
Found $80.00 in Cabela's Christmas Gift Cards , I didn't need any more 22 LR handguns but have always wanted a 4 5/8" SA cowboy fast draw colt like sixgun , too many TV Westerns and movies in my youth . I check on-line Friday no Wranglers in stock . Sunday I take my gift cards and can't find anything to blow it on ... I'm heading towards the door and stop at the gun display counter and ask ... Got any Ruger Wranglers ... the man says ...what color you want we got three in yesterday ! It was fate , I didn't need a Wrangler but I had promised myself if it was black and priced at $199.00 I would buy it ... Fate , 15 minutes later I'm walking out the door with it . (cost me only $119.00) I would post a picture but wife is at work and she handles those things for me ...
For $119.00 I'm enjoying just fondling it ...except for a at first stiff loading gate ...it's a Sweetheart .
Gary

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
I've got no complaint about that one.....if they remade the Bearcat size in that way(lite)like the original, I'd stand in line.

Am thinking my "favorite" isn't by "best" or my "most accurate"...it's the one I grab for long hikes/hunts/walks....thinking in terms of time/miles on my hip rather than sitting in the safe until I go to the range.

Although that's more rare today...usually it's a selfdefense centerfire handgun(with a carry permit)….have much more concern about other(evil) people than the wildlife around me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts