Shooters Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
My "Favorite" Revolver is my Customized Ruger, originally a ,22 Cal Convertible Single Six, that is now a 10-5/8 inch long Barreled 'Single Eight in .25ACP and other similar cartridge diameter Fun Shooting Revolver.

I have interchangeable 8-shot cylinders to fit the firearm in:
.25ACP, both Taper and Cylinder chamber,.
.25ALR of .960" case length.
.25MACP of 1,055" case Length.
.25ALS of 1.125" case length.
.25ALRM of 1.250" case length.
These are all limited to 1,499 overall cartridge length by the cylinder to frame limitations,
I have fired several test rounds loaded with 3,1 grains of BE-86 behind 50 grain FMJ bullets and also some loaded with 3.0 grains of BE-86 behind 63 grain lead bullets, but have not fired them across a Chronograph.

Chev. William

·
Registered
27 Posts
My "Favorite" Revolver is my Customized Ruger, originally a ,22 Cal Convertible Single Six, that is now a 10-5/8 inch long Barreled 'Single Eight in .25ACP and other similar cartridge diameter Fun Shooting Revolver.

I have interchangeable 8-shot cylinders to fit the firearm in:
.25ACP, both Taper and Cylinder chamber,.
.25ALR of .960" case length.
.25MACP of 1,055" case Length.
.25ALS of 1.125" case length.
.25ALRM of 1.250" case length.
These are all limited to 1,499 overall cartridge length by the cylinder to frame limitations,
I have fired several test rounds loaded with 3,1 grains of BE-86 behind 50 grain FMJ bullets and also some loaded with 3.0 grains of BE-86 behind 63 grain lead bullets, but have not fired them across a Chronograph.

Chev. William
Now that sounds like some interesting goings on there Chev.W!! Must say those chamberings are mostly unknown to me (and most folks likely) but I will try to get up to speed one by one. Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
My favorite is the Ruger 9.5 22lr/22mag convertible. When I lived on a mountain in Maine, I hunted white tail with it, but, never could get close enough to be comfortable to take a shot.

I, like Ribbonstone, rarely carry a rim fire in the woods, but, always rely, consistently, on my many decades old favorite, Ruger Super Blackhawk.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Now that sounds like some interesting goings on there Chev.W!! Must say those chamberings are mostly unknown to me (and most folks likely) but I will try to get up to speed one by one. Thanks!
They are 'Mildcats' based upon swaged down 5.7x28mm or .22 Hornet cases, swaged to .278" case body diameter down to the top of rim, then trimmed to proper case lengths. My cylindrical chambers are cut with reamers spec'd at .2795" body diameter.
My taper chambers are cut with reamers based upon standard ..25ACP chamber dimensions with the longer ones made with same diameters but longer taper in body.

Like I said; my revolver limits Cartridge overall length, so I either seat bullets deep in the longer cases or use wad cutter bullets in them.

The .25ALS is similar to the .25 Stevens Long RF cartridge but is Center fire design using .250" to.255" diameter bullets. from 35 grain semi-jacketed hollow points to 65 grain Cast Lead (from NOE TL 255-65-RF mold).

My 63 grain pills are from Hunters Supply and were sold as 'Air Gun Pellets' by them, but work well if tumble lubed.

I do tend to use more 'heavy for bore' bullets than 'light for bore' ones, which works well in my 9.8 to 1 twist Barrel, made from a Lothar Walther long Pistol barrel blank (their .25ACP/6,32 Browning one of 23.6" length).

Since acquiring a Chronograph, I have fired cartridges in .25ACP up to 1300fps using Bullseye charges and 63 grain lead bullets, with no leading found at cleanup time.

Chev. William

·
Registered
753 Posts
My one and only .22LR revolver, a 4" M18.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Colt Frontier 62... Yeah, you can't adjust the sights. But I try to practice often enough to know where I'm hitting. It's great for grouse, ptarmigan, and snowshoe hares. It was a gift from my step-dad, so there's sentimental value in it as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Colt Frontier 62... Yeah, you can't adjust the sights. But I try to practice often enough to know where I'm hitting. It's great for grouse, ptarmigan, and snowshoe hares. It was a gift from my step-dad, so there's sentimental value in it as well.

View attachment 99850
Nice!! I luv those little Colt single actions! They just......well, they just fit just right. With practice, practice, practice I find that I don't even need to aim at much. Point and shoot, draw and shoot and practice some more. They do get pretty dirty so maintenance is important. Oil and grease because the frames are sorta soft and the finish will wear but that's the price of doing business.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 6" Dan Wesson is still my favorite. It matches the heft and feel of my S&W 586 perfectly and is just plain fun to shoot. It still drives tacks after to many rounds to count.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Currently the only 22 rf revolver is an H&R 999. Easy to load, easy to unload. Picked it up when a local gun store shifted from open door to online for 225$. Repaired the rear sight and kept shooting.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a S&W 18. It's one of my favorites.
And mine too. Had one, sold it, had Mdl 18 withdrawals, found another. With box and papers even.

When my wife said she wanted a pistol, bought her a vintage Mdl 34 (4" barrel). She likes it almost as I do!

·
Premium Member
14,648 Posts
Here's a Kit Gun odd lot. I love 'em!

This old Hand Ejector has seen better days but still shoots well.

Attachments

Reactions: WinMike
21 - 34 of 34 Posts