Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow sportsmen,
Have you formulated your own "profile" of the Maryland/Virginia sniper? Based on the reports that we see and hear in the media (assuming that they are reporting the facts), what type of profile have you personally formulated in your own mind? Do you believe the current analyses of the special agents who constitute the task force are viable and "accurate?" If not, where do you think they are missing it?

Hoping for a hearty response...your friend,
Timberwolf :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,443 Posts
Sniper - hah! My wife has killed deer farther away than that. 100 yards a long shot? Maybe with a 2" .38 snubbie! Gimme a break.... more ignorance from the mainstream media.

Just some nut case, in my opinion. Probably has some help (ie. driver).

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Sniper? Nope. The lowest form of crud on the bottom of the dregs of society, yep. This person is completely gutless. He won't get close to his victims because he can't handle it. He couldn't handle the situation if someone was able to respond and wouldn't be able to shoot if he had to meet the victim. Like a little school kid passing notes in class because he can't approach the person. Can he shoot? Probably not, least not any better than anyone else. How hard is it to hit a person size target at 100 yards (if he's that far away) using a 223 and a rest. If he was a sniper, there would be no clues, no casings, no nothing. He's stupid and shouldn't be breathing the air meant for the rest of the good folks in VA, MD, DC... Probably a psychotic wannabe that still lives with his parents.

He probably would make good bear bait, though. When they catch him, we need to see if those Commanche legends of disposal are true. "...buzzards gotta eat - same as worms".

Excuse me if I have offended anyone's sensibilities, but I can't see one thing to praise or respect this yella-bellied snake for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Alyeska338, I for one am NOT offended . I have my own forms of justice towards people like this and kiddie molestors and and their likes. iIfin I was to do things that I consider justice, I would wind up spending a long time in the prison system. (longer than them) As for a shooter he aint s..t.
I have watched blind people with .22's hit a target just by listing to the bell above the target. I would like to match sights with him at 800-1000 yds and see ifin he could really shoot. I think I know the outcome. As for feeding him to the bears, the bears deserve better than that. There are several other commanche Ideas I can think that would be very fitting.
Sorry for the soap box, but people like this just rub me wrong.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
176 Posts
alyeska338.

I am very offended by your proposal.

I happen to be very fond of bears, and although I know they readily eat the garbage of humans I can not understand a sportsman and conservationist like youself proposing to feed these grand animals those humans who are garbage. Bears deserve better.

The profiler that suggested video game obsessed teens or young adults extending their game to the real world is pretty close to the mark I think. We really have some strange young guys these days. Some, amazingly often girlfriend or wife supported, twenty somethings play these things nearly full time with similar friends and talk about them as though the games are real. If they were a little off to start or grewup on meds like a number have, reality could get pretty fuzzy.

Fireplug

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey Guys,

It wouldn't suprize me if we find out this is one of Osama's boys. I shake my head in wonder as the authorities show off M16s, and other 'assault' rifles when an NEF Handi-rifle in .223 would be just as viable....he's only taking one shot. I wonder who will play Mr. Moose in the movie....

Lobo in W.Va.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Follow-up Question For Thought...

Could it be the case that inasmuch as military machinery, though not military personnel, is being used to locate, track, and "surveil" suspects in the Maryland/Virginia murders, that even our government believes the "sniper attacks" to be connected to Al Queida's ongoing war with the U.S.?

Regards to all,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Banned
548 Posts
This criminal is sane, and has help - possibly just a driver, but perhaps more. Possibly even 2 shooters competing with each other as part of a team, using the same rifle.

There may be vehicle switching or baiting going on at or near the scenes.

The shell casing(s)indicate a gas semi-auto, most likely AR, Bushmaster, Colt. If this is a pro, the casings are plants from a different weapon. A small bolt gun would be better for the actual sniping, so the auto is also for defense when confronted.

"Target-Type" projectile may mean fast twist rate in the bbl. If so, this is a marksman. The big unknown is whether they are SP, FMJ, HP or other. These all make for different profiles.

Some chance the shooter has used regional range facilities in past year - members need to be questioned and vigilant. Gun may be checked for zero on weekends.

Make no mistake about it, this is a very effective terrorist or terrorist sympathizer activity. It fits the urban murder profile of the terrorist. We are so free and mobile in the US that sniping is very, very difficult to stop. Its almost impossible to confront in the act, and is dispersed enough to let everyone know they are at risk.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
As reported in the media last night (for what that is worth), there were several eyewitnesses to the Home Depot shooting and it appeared to be a man and one person identified the rifle as an AK styled, not an AR or bolt. I don't think this is an Al Qaeda plot, but more along the lines of Tim McViegh, Son of Sam, Charlie Starkweather type person.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This guy is just a low life murderer. Needs his nuts nailed to a dry stump, then light the stump!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
238 Posts
My one wish is that the next time this lowlife makes a mistake and someone sees him that they'll be able to put a bullet between his eyes before he takes another innocent life. I also hope that if this happens that the guy that gets him belongs to the NRA, just to shut up Klinton, Shumer and Boxer shorts! Seriously though, what better form of tactic to use against us by Osama Ben Deadman than a two man murder team (I won't honor them with the term sniper) to stir up fear and panic against someone he could never defeat in open combat! Make everyone afraid to move or lead a normal life in and around the capital of the "Great Satan". They are expendable to him and when they're stopped, two more brain washed sons of a camel step up to take their place. I hope that they all get their 77 ugly virgins in paradise soon, real soon! CEJ.. :mad:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Its too bad that all the NAMBY-PAMBY Lawmakers that live and work where the shootings are taking place cant see the Forest because of the Trees.
Ifin everybody could carry a Hog-Leg and a Winchester, or something of their choice the Shooter/Shooters woundent have gotten past the first shooting. As the DUKE would say theyed be in BOOTHILL, afor Sun Down.

Gun Runner

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know what to think.He doesn't fit any of the other mass murder profiles.He is organized in his thinking and is planful,not like Whittman in the Texas tower who obviously snapped.He(they) are taking more and more chances so I figure if they keep up their pace they'll be caught soon.If they were professionals they would stay with a tighter MO and keep shooting from a distance to minimize their vulnerability rather then become more brazen and openly present themselves.
I think that the AK weapon is a statement in it self.I associate the AK style with former communist supported revolution.I wouldn't be at all surprised if this person considers himself a holy warrior on a holy mission.I think that he lives in the Maryland suburbs either Montgomery or Prince Georges counties and is in the US on a student visa.I think that he is in his mid twenties and his mother and family are residing in another country in their middle class and will be completly surprised.He was a good boy and was never misstreated or abused and found god and his holy cause in his late teens.
On a lighter note I was speaking with a client today from the DC area who has just started into menapuse.She told me that her friends are off the scale worried concerning their safety and are afraid to pump gas or visit a shopping center.She tells them that her symptoms are so bad that she hangs out on shopping center parking lots hopeing that the sniper puts her out of her misery or she puts him out of his .
Not knowing anything is wonderful.That way I'm always surprised.

Jeff

·
Banned
548 Posts
This has evolved into a night time, lighted parking lot, commercial area shooter. If in the DC area, go where you usually shop, take the cell phone and pack your weapon if and only if you have a carry permit...this is for CONFIDENCE and last ditch DEFENSE only!! Do not take a firearm into DC proper (hunt at your own risk).

Cruise and park. Watch and listen. He or they will move and one of you will be near. Use your eyes, memory and cell phone. Do not chase, and do not shoot. Do not confront. The authorities have enough guns, cruisers and helicopters...what they lack is eyes and ears.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Good Morning,

Firstly, I beleive this fellow has been in the military, not because of his marksmanship skills, but because of his choice of arm and appreication of the ground. He stakes out an area, looks for an egress route first, then a firing location, and establishes a kill zone. Whomever ends up in this kill zone makes no difference, the thrill for him is the act itself, and the empowerment he feels from it.

He is not going after any person or persons that are politically relevant, so i don't think he is Al Quieda/ Taliban. I think when he has an option, he shoots females, which indicates some frustration in that area. I also do not think if he were AQ/ TB he would taunt the police.

Terrorism is by nature geared towards third party fear, and while he is reaping the beneift from this, it is more of a byproduct than the main objective. I'm thinking that this activity is a product of his own feelings of inadequacy, and would have happened regardless of the current state of alert we currently employ. As such, if he was a soldier, he was not a very good soldier, wierd, standoffish, barracks rat, ect. Acceptance by peers in a military unit is extremely important. This being my thinkinig, I would bet that he is working by himself.

I'd be surprised if this is a AK variant, I'm thinking AR series with a scope or red dot. I know of very few 5.56 MM weapons that Can shoot with an AR, and the nature of the round when used on humans is a wounding, rather than killing round. I have had some expirence with AKs, and Even with a perfect arrangement, I don't think his kill to wound ratio would be as noteworthy. If he is a AK variant shooter, he is allot more lucky than .....well, i hate to say "good".

My thoughts on the subject. As a veteran of the beltway, I can only imagine what they are up against. I purpose we put a collective call into the Big Jumpmaster in the sky, for this guys arrest / detainment / demise prior to anyone else getting hurt.

God Bless,

Steve

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just saw on the Fox News Network that FBI agents are being sent to Cuba in order to interrogate Al-Queida detanees with regard to the "sniper" attacks in the Va./Md./D.C. area.
Do you believe the government is now assuming foreign terrorism, or do you think this is just a part of the normal investigative process?

Regards,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
The FBI guys I know and have worked with are all first rate, stand up guys, that one would be proud and fortunate to share a foxhole with. i have no idea the information they are basing this Cuba activity on, but to me, it looks like smoke.

All of the fellers in Cuba were taken in the far eastern theatre. What could they tell us? "the DC sniper? yeah, that's old Joe.....hezbullah high class of 92." More than likely they could confirm that AQ individuals still exist in the u.s., and have been ordered to pursue targets of oppurtunity, and I think everybody already understands that.

It sure might be those AQ guys, but I don't see it. Not grand enough a gesture, and not a clear political tie. He may adopt the AQ philosphy later, only because its would sound allot more notoriously legitimate than "oh no reason, other than I am crazier than an outhouse rat."

If the fox report is legitimate, they are just covering all of the bases.I get the feeling its either PR or the reporter got it wrong. Like i Said though, I don't know what they know, but this is how it looks from my armchair QB position.

Take care fellows,

Steve

·
Registered
251 Posts
Towelheads. Probably a team of at least two, with several vehicles to switch off between. This was PLANNED, at least in the initial phases. Terrorizing the population, on the cheap. And they haven't even become 'martyrs' yet. As for punishment, my vote is for staking them out on an anthill, make their demise slow and extremely painfull.
Mark

·
Banned
548 Posts
Timberwolf -

If this is not currently foreign terrorism, it will be. The effectiveness of this sniping tactic , for all of its horrors, cannot be overlooked. For all of the concern and debate over handguns, the rifle is the true instrument of of terror. Any person with near normal eyesight and reflexes can kill with a rifle with a single shot from a safe distance.

Bombings and even 9/11 events do not leave the unharmed population with the immediate sense of personal threat that is caused by persistent sniping. The skills are readily acquired and the tools are inexpensive and pervasive.

There will be renewed interest in gun control, however misguided, and the outcome of these efforts can come to little or no good.

This is an unprecedented challenge, and I have no solutions to offer. The amount of liberty we all would have to give up to even have a marginal effect on terrorist sniping would change America into something that it is not, and has never been. It would amount to a victory for terrorists.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts