Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to the sport and am wondering what supplies I will go through on the regular and what I need to keep stocked. What supplies do you go through quickly and regularly as a shooter?

I realize ammo and targets top the list, but what other items may I want or need on a regular basis?
Thanks in advance for your help.

-Justin

·
Super Moderator
8,652 Posts
Justin, Way back in history when I started deer stalking/ hunting here in the UK I carried a rucksack full of everything imaginable. Today I have my rifle, half a dozen rounds of ammo, binos, a sharp knife, about a yard of thin rope/cord strong enough to tow the carcase and my stalking stick. If the weather looks a bit 'muggy' therefore 'buggy' I will have a tube of midge cream. It does all boil down to the circumstances in which you will be hunting. Target shooting, well if you get serious at it then you will want to load your own, then the list gets much longer. My advice initially is to keep it simple, no 'must haves' , gizmos etc etc. until you are certain that is the route you want to take. Saves you a lot of money.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
All "newbies" like we all were, tend to load themselves down with non essentials. "I might need this or I might need that".
Gradually, we pare the load down to things we really need.
A topo map of the area, a compass, waterproof matches and the stuff Sus mentioned.
Jim

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Which specific sport?

Shooting clay, hunting, targets with rifle/pistol, sass, bullseye, steel challenge, etc., etc. A HUGE ROLL OF BENJAMINS is a good start. Seriously, in the long run, buy quality once and only once, rather than the cheap stuff over and over. K.I.S.S. and lot's of patience. Hang around a group of real good shooters at the range, see what/how they do things & what they use, and remember you have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
What specific kind of shooting?

In what specific kind of shooting do you wish to engage? Hunting deer and elk requires this and that; hunting varmints requires a list of these and those. Hunting the eyes of bulls from 1000 yards requires still another list of these-un's and them-un's. You have to know what kind of shooting you want to do before we can give you a good listing of all the stuff you'll need...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, everyone! To answer your question, I am looking to start with target shooting and then progress into deer hunting ( I need to be able to hit it when I see it!)

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I am very new to the sport and am wondering what supplies I will go through on the regular and what I need to keep stocked. What supplies do you go through quickly and regularly as a shooter?

I realize ammo and targets top the list, but what other items may I want or need on a regular basis?
Thanks in advance for your help.

-Justin
For what? Rifle, pistol or both?

Couple of these are easy: Cleaning patches, lube and bore cleaner. I normally buy mine from Brownells since they have the customer 100% satisfaction policy. But what you use can vary, I use one bore cleaner for pistols and another for rifles. Patch come by caliber. I prefer to use Dewey cleaning rods (coated) for rifle.

Then it comes to if you reload.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
What supplies do you go through quickly and regularly as a shooter?

Targets, staples, ammo and cleaning supplies are consumed readily.

I am very new to the sport ...
I strongly urge you to read about and practice good shooting skills NOW, doing so will raise your personal satisfaction greatly. Too many people wait until they have issues to try and attempt improvement.

In addition I would pursue the following;

~ Ear protection and eye protection. Check the decibel ratings on the 'ears'.
~ Cleaning rods. Buy high quality the first time, don't 'upgrade' later,
~ Invest in shooting rest/s.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Slow down cowboy!

You need to walk before you run, start with the basics, learn your weapon of choice, the guns limitations as well as your own. "Shooting a deer when/where you see it" is plain naïve & unethical. You need to KNOW FOR SURE what a good shot to take is VS a BAD one, and be able to hit what you are shooting at, BEFORE you shoot. Animals deserve better than for you to learn on, that's what paper targets are for.

·
Registered
205 Posts
"Shooting a deer when/where you see it" is plain naïve & unethical. You need to KNOW FOR SURE what a good shot to take is VS a BAD one, and be able to hit what you are shooting at, BEFORE you shoot. Animals deserve better than for you to learn on, that's what paper targets are for.
Obviously I read it differently than you did, because when I read that statement, it sounded more to me like the OP wanted to know he could take a deer the right way before he fired at it, saying that he was thinking about it the same way you do. Maybe I am wrong.

For the record, I am still totally that new guy wanting to bring anything I can think might be handy. I still have a long way to go in that regard, but the thought of hauling the weight of everything I have all over everywhere is a motivator to keep it on the trimmer side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts