Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the model is to the following shotgun? It's a Mossberg shotgun that has a synthetic type stock, a 'dull' solid green in color (not camouflage, but solid green), pump action and a rifled barrel. It also takes 2 and three quarter and 3 inch shells.. Is it a recent addition of Mossberg?

Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS,
Timberwolf

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, what is the 'fair' price of the shot gun on the market? It's about 80 per cent condition.

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
Timberwolf,

It sounds like you have a Mossberg 500 "Viking" slug gun. It has a long, 24" barrel, correct? This model was introduced in '96 and is no longer a cataloged item according to what I just checked at Mossberg's website.
A gun in about 80% condition would be considered under the NRA grading system as "Good" to "Very Good." Such a gun would be worth &#36150-&#36175, perhaps a bit more just before deer season in locales where shotguns are required.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Happy Holidays Bill.
The shotgun does have a 24 inch barrel, and it appears that it was a "scope" package gun. It has a hard case. I would revise the grading and say it's 90 per cent...just a scratch or two on the barrel, and a scratch on the scope...otherwise, it appears to be near mint. So, my friend, what approximate price would you give it now? And, are they known for pretty good accuracy? At what maximum distance? What type slug would you recommend?

HAVE A GREAT DAY,
Timberwolf

·
Beartooth Regular
1,118 Posts
NRA "Excellent" conditions rates as 98% overall in finish, wear, etc. Your gun would probably be considered somewhere between "Very Good" and "Excellent" and would fairly go for around &#36175-200.

Shotguns such as your Viking can use either traditional rifled slugs or discarding sabot rounds. I would try both to see which give the best accuracy in your particular gun. Among rifled slugs, I think the very best are the Brennekes from RWS. They have shown the best accuracy in all but one or two 12 gauge smoothbores in which I've tested slugs and give tremendous penetration on really big game. Of the discarding sabots I've experimented with, I like the Remingtons best. But this is not to say your gun may prefer Winchesters or Federals. It's smart to try several brands and types to find out for sure.

Whether you end up using rifled or sabot slugs, your Mossberg Viking should prove to be an excellent hunting arm at 100-125 yards. In my part of Pennsylvania many hunters use 12 gauge slug guns in preference to rifles during the regular firearms season. We also have Special Regulation areas in a couple of counties that demand such weaponry. 12 gauge slug gunners harvest huge quantities of deer and black bear every year. These big guns drop game just as well as any 7mm or .30 caliber rifle. Do some accuracy testing and shooting practice from standing and sitting positions and I'm confident you'll have plenty of venison in the freezer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts