Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a .454 barrel coming for my Encore and I need to know what different powders are the most VERSATILE in this cartridge. I know that for the full house loads I want H110/W296 (I've been told that they're the same powder) I notice some slower loads with Hodgdon Universal Clays, what other powers are good for plinker loads? Thanks
Selmer

·
Registered
471 Posts
The only powder I know of for moderate loads would be Unique, remember its dirty;) If you want moderate loads for the 454 try 45LC they feel like a cap gun compared to the 454 loads, be sure to clean after using 45LC's due to they are shorter than the 454 brass, 454 brass may get stuck trying to eject them, buildup is produced bye the shorter 45LC's, good luck, Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Banned
57 Posts
highest working pressures

the 454 casull has the highest working pressures listed in speer#13 for pistol calibers(45,000 psi).
my 50 ae loads are 36000 psi.
we are both in the same situation,as there is but a few choices.I have had good luck with hodgdon powders using h110 and h4227.the 4227 is much milder shooting,very accurate,and about 1200-1300 fps in my de.the h110 has much more recoil and velocity 1400-1500.
I purchased some surplus powder from jeff at gi brass for $80 delivered for 8 pounds.he reccommends using h110 data,but a number of different members suggested I use aa#9 data which is what I did.I started with 24 grains as suggested,and these rounds were very accurate,but havent had time yet to chronograph them.I'm still working up my loads and will report back shortly,but buying the surplus powder and a chronograph was a nice purchase.

·
Banned
355 Posts
WHAT POWDERS FOR THE .454 ?

HI SELMER,

KEEP IN MIND THAT THE PISTOL POWDERS ARE DESIGNED TO BURN COMPLETELY IN BARRELS 7 TO 14 " LONG. WHAT WILL WORK WELL IN A RUGER PISTOL WITH 7 1/2" BARREL MAY NOT WORK WELL IN THE ENCORE'S LONGER BARREL. WE ARE DISCUSSING HERE ---REDUCED VELOSITY LOADS !
IN THE ABOVE NAMED PISTOL, 6.4 GRAINS OF UNIVERSAL, A WSR PRIMER AND A 185 GRAIN JHP BULLET IS VERY VERY HIGHLY ACCURATE AT 25 YARDS. THERE IS MUCH FRICTION IN THE BARREL AND THE BULLET MAY NOT EXIT THE LONGER ENCORE BARREL.
THE UNIVERSAL POWDER IS/WAS DESIGNED FOR SHOTGUNS AND PISTOLS. IT WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR RIFLES. THAT IS NOT TO SAY THAT IT WON'T WORK WELL, BUT SINCE THE HORNADY FOLKS SAY NOT TO EXCEED 11.5 GRAINS OF UNIVERSAL WITH A FAITLY HEAVY BULLET, THIS TELLS YOU THAT SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 6.4 GRAINS ( WHAT I USE) AND THE 11.5 GRAINS THAT HORNADY USES, LIES THE BEST POSSIBLE REDUCED LOAD FOR THE ENCORE BARREL.
UNIVERSAL IS CLEAN BURNING, HAS REDUCED RECOIL IN WHATEVER GUN YOU USE IT5 IN AND IS THE MOST ACCURATE- MEASURING POWDER I'VE EVER USED.
GOOD SHOOTING AND GOOD LUCK AND TAKE A GOOD 3/8THS INCH DIAMETER STEEL ROD WITH SQUARED-OFF ENDS TO THE RANGE WITH YOU.

CSWARD

:D :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CSWARD and 1badmagnum, thanks for the tips, I already have a good supply of Universal, I love it in my 12 gauge. I figured I'd pick up the H110 and it sounds like the H4227 is good for mid-range loads. I'll go with these. Do you recommend the load books that are available for the single calibers? I've been looking at getting one for the .454, it looks like a lot of info for a little price.
Selmer

·
Banned
355 Posts
WHAT POWDERS FOR THE .454 ?

HI SELMER,

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY BOOKS ON ANY SUBJECT.

I NEVER COUNTED THE WORDS-PER-DOLLAR BEFORE, BUT IT COSTS A LOT MOF MONEY TO KEEP THE MOST CURRENTLY ISSUED RELOADING BOOKS, AND MOST ALL OF IT IS REDUNDANT ANYWAY EXCEPT FOR THE NEW STUFF.

ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN RELOADING FOR SOME TIME AND HAS A FEW MANUALS ALREADY, CAN BE SERVED VERY WELL THE ONLINE RELOADING DATA BY THE POWDER MANUFACTURERS, WHICH ARE MY FIRST CHOICE, AND THEN THOSE WHO MANUFACTURE BOTH POWDER AND RELOADING TOOLS ARE IN SECOND PLACE. THERE ARE FEW EXCEPTIONS I MAKE IN THESE CHOICES.

GLAD YOU LIKE UNIVERSAL IN YOUR 12 GA., AND YO0U'LL ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT IN YOUR PISTOLS----GUARANTEED !! YOUR CHOICES OF H110 AND 4227 ARE EXCELLENT CHOICES INDEED FOR MAXIMUM LOADS. FORGIVE ME FOR SAYING THIS, BUT IT IS IMPORTANT: DO NOT REDUCE THE RECOMMENDED LOADINGS FOR EITHER H 110 OR 296 POWDERS OR ALL TYPES OF BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN TO YOU---NOT ALL OF THEM ARE NECESSARILY FATAL---BUT JUST DON'T TRY TO FIND OUT WHY. BE SAFE---NOT SORRY.

:D CHUCK

·
Banned
57 Posts
use loading data for the componants your using

if you are experienced with reloading,and are loading only a few calibers,the internet will do.I received speer #13 reloading manual with my press.I would use the reloading data for the componants your using,if using hodgdon powder use their data.if using alliant use their data and componants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts