Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reloading for a couple of years, but mainly to save money.  I now want to experiment with some heavy loads in my SR 454.  What signs are there when I have reached the maximum pressure for my revolver?  

·
Registered
130 Posts
HI JAKE, IF YOU OWN A CHRONOGRAPH YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANY OVER PRESSURE SIGNS IN YOUR REVOLVER, USING ONLY H110/W296 FOR YOUR HEAVY LOADS.(IN WHICH MY DEFINITION OF HEAVY LOADS IS USING PROJECTILES MEDIUM TO HEAVY FOR THE CALIBER. EX. 45CAL-- 330GR--360GR) NOT TO BE MISTAKEN WITH "HOT LOADS" NOW BACK TO THE PRESSURE SIGNS, IN MY OPINION THERE ARE JUST TO MANY VARIABLES TO JUDGE HIGH PRESSURE IN A SIXGUN. SOME WILL NOT SHOW ANY SIGNS UNTIL ITS TO LATE(CRACKED BOLT NOTCH, BULGED CYLINDER) AND FINALLY THE HIDING MONSTER(FATIGUE) IS THE ONE WE CANT SEE. I HAVE SEEN AN INSTANCE TO WHERE A LOT OF 454 BRASS WAS VERY SOFT AND WITH 50,000 PSI LOADS THE CASES HAD TO BE BEAT FROM THE CHAMBERS WITH A WOODEN DOWEL, MOST WOULD THINK OVER PRESSURE BUT NOT SO. IF YOU STICK WITH THE POWDERS MENTIONED ABOVE AND GET A CHROGRAPH YOU WILL BE IN GOOD SHAPE. THE KEY TO THESE POWDERS ARE THEY WONT WORK GOOD UNTIL UPPER PRESSURES ARE REACHED AND WHEN YOU GET VELOCITY YOU WILL KNOW WHAT % YOUR PRESSURES ARE GIVEN THAT BARREL LENGHT AND WEIGHT OF BULLET ARE FIGURED IN ALSO.      JIM.

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Jake,

I just posted an article on this subject on our Tech Notes, and it is directed towards folks like yourself looking to get the most out of their .454's.

"Max Loads" & Handguns

I hope it helps answer some of the questions you have!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.  I will have to look into getting a chronograph.  You are right though, there is no reason to beat the heck out of my revolver just to get a few extra fps out of my gun.  I guess it is just neat to know what it can do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts