Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to me it seems that the real chance,, is to get a gun .. that is suitable for your hunting area an choice of game..then don t pay attention to hype about others guns .you just learn the use of that gun ,as if its a third arm..
i don t keep but three caliber of rnds.. sometimes i wonder if that aint two to many ..im just curious how many follow that line of thinking..jmo slim:)alrite i opened myself up for this.. letter rip..:)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I guess it depends on just what kind of reasons you have for owning guns. If you use them as tools for hunting, pest control, and personal safety, then I think that is what matters.

If you just collect them, for whatever healthy and unhealthy reasons (and there are both) then you're really a collector and no number will ever satisfy you.

I think I have too many, but I'm loath to let any go. Hmmm..........

·
Registered
930 Posts
First of all, I love talking about things that matter to me, so I like talking about guns. I also get a real kick out of reading reloading manuals and hear what the "experts" have to say about the pros and cons of different cartridges.

I agree that most cartridges are very acceptable for a range of targets, particularly if you reload. Therefore, the differences between them tend to boil down to "how dead is dead".

But I shake my head when people take cartridges that were great for their day, and claim that they are still great. For some that is true (270 WIN for example) and for others it's not true (30-30 WIN for example).

People say the Mountain Men got by just fine with their 50 and 54 caliber muzzleloaders, so why not use them today? I say the Mountain Men used the absolute top quality, high tech weapons available to them at the time, because their lives depended on it. If they were here today, you bet they'd be using black rifles.

So I agree, a person should pick a gun he likes, that he can shoot well, that has the requirements for the game he targets, but he must be aware of it's limitations. But if you're buying a first rifle, say striclty for deer hunting, don't buy a 30-30 just because it's "killed more deer than any other rifle" when a gun like a 260 REM, 7mm/08, and many others can be had in a lightweight, short, quick handling rifle with much better ballistics and more flexibility than the 30-30.

(I'm thinking of DMSBANDIT's 308 Marlin Carbine here, as an example of a gun that can do anything a 30-30 can, and a whole lot more that it can't. http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=61664 )

·
Registered
930 Posts
Now, having said all that drivel, don't get me wrong. Once you've got your first rifle, then go for the niche guns.

Shoot a percusion ML when you fel like it.

Use a Winchester 94 30-30 when you're missing Dad or Grandad.

Shoot a Lazzeroni when you want to get kicked on your butt.

My personal gun cabinet doesn't hold much, but it's the Variety that adds the spice!

Browning A Bolt .270
Ruger M77 Compact 260
Ruger M77 Compact 243
TC Triumph in line ML
Hand built 50 cal percussion
Hand Built 45 cal Flintlock

Former guns no longer with me:
Marlin 36 30-30
Winchester M70 30-06
Springfield Cadet 45-70 Trapdoor (only sold gun I REALLY wish I still had)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Maybe thats why when you see the thread "if you could only have three" what would they be... Even though I have many different caliber rifles I have two that the majority of my hunting is done with. (and are like my right arm). That being said I enjoy reloading and shooting all of them. They say watch out for the one rifle man as that rifle will be an extension of himself and he will likely shoot it well. My experience is that in many cases the one rifle person really does not shoot that much. Show me a person that is passionate about his sport and rifles and I will show you someone that spends a great deal of time and money to achieve precision with his firearms. There are exceptions to every rule and this can go either way.

It wont take long before this turns into a rifle caliber naming contest.

good luck all
GF

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,917 Posts
I like'um all and don't discriminate except for the really big boomers, which I have no need for. Firearms are interesting to me, no matter if single shot, bolt, lever, semi-auto or muzzle stuffer. Presently in negotiations for an old beat up Model 92 levergun that I have absolutely no need for, but think it will be interesting to own.

As has been said here many times - you can never have too many guns! :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
Even though I may only hunt with a couple of my rifles, I will keep on buying in search of the perfect rifle and well as the wife would say Im obssesed.

·
Registered
930 Posts
At first I thought you said you'd keep searching for the perfect gun as well as the perfect wife.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have a muzzleloader, a .260 Remington, a .30-06, and two .270s. I'm contemplating getting something .35cal (probably .35 Remington, but maybe .357 Mag) in a barrel for my TC (PW private land rules in MS) and *maybe* sometime getting something bigger like a .35 Whelen or .338 Win Mag just for fun and moose sometime.

I've mostly been a 1-gun guy all my life - only owned one gun at a time and shoot it and shoot it well and that's all you need. But, I like rifles and have a little disposable income now so I figure why not have a little fun :)

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
The perfect wife is the one that likes buying guns with you! My wife has a 20g semi-auto, Ruger 9mm and .50 cal ML. Later this year she'll have either a 260Rem or 7mm-08...whichever she chooses. :)

I shot my first gun at 3 years old and haven't gone more than maybe 4 months without shooting a BB gun, 22LR, or something bigger, ever since. I have ~20 rifles, shotguns, pistols, ML's and if money were no object I'd have at least 20 more! I like reloading because I find it very relaxing and rewarding. I like the various shooting sports, whether it's making a metal disk spin, a tin-can dance, a metal plate ring out or looking for a four-leaf clover on my target.

I have met far fewer guns I didn't like than people and only my most trusted friends offer a greater level of reassurance than a finely made firearm. The only time more important to me than a day hunting is doing the same with my family. It's fair to say that my love of hunting drives my interest in shooting, but I would do either/or, if that's all I was allowed. I firmly believe that each and every day you spend hunting, shooting, fishing or just fartin' around outdoors, is not deducted from your allotment here on earth, so I intend to pursue those as much as possible.

Push comes to shove, a man could get by with a .357Magnum revolver, .22LR bolt-action and a 45-70 lever-gun, and never want for much. If it ever comes to it, I suppose we could all make do with less, but that's just no fun, to my way of thinking. I put in the 40-hour week (which is usually more like 50) so I can take care of my own, put a little back for a rainy day, and still have a bit left over to play with. As long as the Lord continues to bless me with an abundance, I will give some to the needy, and give a little to support our national economy, as well as my local gunsmith. The day may come when I've shot all the guns I want to shoot, but I imagine that will be a long, long time from now.

Jason

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Slim, I guess I could spend my money on more booze and hookers, but guns are more fun and I've never gotten herpes from a gun.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
matt you better stick with the guns bud..devil closed up shop here ..dang it.. never thought that could happen to me..grin,slim
ps it does have its advantage though.. im no longer tempted anymore.yep thats an advantage as it nearly caught up with me a couple of times ..only god got me past those test.i was a driven man..like to have drove off a cliff several times..

·
Registered
7,848 Posts
Like many other things, there's lots of reasons people do and enjoy doing things. A full size 4WD truck is seldom really needed, but lots of people like to drive one anyway. A single rifle for deer hunting is likely all one really needs. But dozens of deer rifles later, I'm still looking and enjoying the finding, shooting and hunting as much as I ever have. Different strokes for different folks, I reckon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it all depends on whats first on your list. i personally hope that i never have to sell a gun. i think of them as an investment, but still love to use everyone of them when i get the chance. i will probably never own a gun that will just sit on my wall and look pretty, but thats just me. i currently own a 22 9422 winchester, 22 fieldmaster 572 pump, 243 ruger, 7mm mag, 12 gauge 11-87 remington walnut stock, 12 gauge skb over and under, 20 gauge winchester, and a knight muzzleloader and i am only 19 years old. my friend only has a 17 hmr so guns are just not the first things on his list

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I have always been a gun fan since my great uncle who was a gunsmith used to show up at my house with a car trunk full of guns and let me shoot each one. I have owned over 300 different guns over the years. I sold some because I didn't like them and I sold some to pay bills. I too consider them an investment. I really enjoy buying used guns that are functional but in bad repair and fixing them up. I own a number of guns that have been passed down thru the family which I do not shoot any longer. Most of my guns are used regularly and shot often.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I guess it depends on just what kind of reasons you have for owning guns. If you use them as tools for hunting, pest control, and personal safety, then I think that is what matters.

If you just collect them, for whatever healthy and unhealthy reasons (and there are both) then you're really a collector and no number will ever satisfy you.

I think I have too many, but I'm loath to let any go. Hmmm..........

I agree with you this time !

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
I used to hate letting a gun go. Now that I have a son in law and grandkids, I get a lot of pleasure in giving one of my guns to them. The first time I gave a gun to my son in law, my daughter made a point in telling him that I must really love him because she had never seen me give a gun away to anyone else.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just wish one of my two sons would like to havum ,,not,, just because it was dads.. now i got a soninlaw,, thats the one that might appreciate them..but hes got plenty already..so i just puttem in patriots hands that don t shake..slim..

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
i just wish one of my two sons would like to havum ,,not,, just because it was dads.. now i got a soninlaw,, thats the one that might appreciate them..but hes got plenty already..so i just puttem in patriots hands that don t shake..slim..
I'm with ya, Slim...my son has no interest in hunting, and only a little interest in guns. I struggle to understand that, because I have been a gun nut since before I was dry behind the ears. Fortunately, my daughter seems to have been given that gene because she's always after me to get her guns out and shoot 'em. She's going with me to the INDY 1500 gun n' knife show this weekend and will probably wind up costing me some $$! I don't mind, though...it's good to have one kid that shares this interest with me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts