Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the movie Public Enemies the other evening and a rifle caught my eye. A scene early in the movie had Special Agent Purvis blasting pretty boy Floyd with a bolt rifle I suspect is a Mauser of some sort. Sure looks nice, anyone know what it is?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I saw the movie and know the rifle you're talking about. Im not postitive but I believe it was an older Mannlicher Schnoenauer.

·
Banned
507 Posts

·
Banned
426 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
There was a veiw of the action as he worked the bolt and set the trigger on the front double trigger and then pulled the rear trigger. Action looked like a Mauser 98.

CD

·
Registered
488 Posts
I need to see that movie, especially now that you have whetted my appetite.
Dan

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you follow this link http://www.imfdb.org/index.php?title=Public_Enemies you'll be able to find it. Its number 10 on the list. Its a Mauser Sporter. The butterknife bolt handle had me thinking it was a Mannlicher Schnauer when I saw the movie. I should have known better.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It was a Custom Mauser. Saw a number of them years ago. Typical popular featuresfor the time. Butterknife, detachable claw scope mount(without scope) ribbed barrel, set triggers, short forearm. Beautiful.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
They managed to get pretty accurate including Dillinger's full auto 1911 he added a fore grip and modified the disconnector on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
For what it's worth, in real life it was a cop working with the FBI who took down Floyd. He shot him in the leg from memory, wounding him, and Purvis interrogated him then ordered another agent to deliver the coup de gras.

That's playing it rough.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I've never heard that account... although there are few different ones, the most popular is that Winstead delivered the killing shot to the back of the head as Dillinger was leaving the theatre. Winstead was a Texas Ranger / US Marshal that was "drafted" by Purvis to help with the investigations and pursuit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've never heard that account... although there are few different ones, the most popular is that Winstead delivered the killing shot to the back of the head as Dillinger was leaving the theatre. Winstead was a Texas Ranger / US Marshal that was "drafted" by Purvis to help with the investigations and pursuit.
I think that's entirely true, but I'm talking about Pretty Boy Floyd, who in the movie was taken down by Purvis with the custom 98. I'd have to look it up on wikipedia to refresh my memory, but it was a regular cop working with the FBI who claims to have taken Floyd down. He deliberately wounded him, but by his account Purvis had Floyd shot dead after questioning him.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I missed that you were talking about Floyd... sorry about that. I would say that Floyd got what he deserved.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts