Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m somewhat new to longer range shooting so I need a suggestion about scopes. I’ve been used to shooting to only about 100 yards so I’ve never needed to think about anything but a 3-9 powered scope. I’m wanting to start shooting about 300 yards and I wasn’t sure how high of power is recommended to shoot smaller game at that distance. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Depends on how small, and how far. I have a 22-250 fitted with a 2.5-10X, and it's plenty for small targets such as crows at that distance. With higher powers than about 12X, you can have effects such as mirage that will actually degrade your sight picture, especially if the barrel is heating from repeat shots. When you're shooting at small stuff past 500 yards, you'll need those 20-24X scopes to be able to discern targets with confidence.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Most of my hunting rifles wear 3x9 scopes with the exception of a couple of 2x7 powers. My varmint guns have 4x12 or 6x18. Still going to depend on what your target game animals your looking at .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends on how small, and how far. I have a 22-250 fitted with a 2.5-10X, and it's plenty for small targets such as crows at that distance. With higher powers than about 12X, you can have effects such as mirage that will actually degrade your sight picture, especially if the barrel is heating from repeat shots. When you're shooting at small stuff past 500 yards, you'll need those 20-24X scopes to be able to discern targets with confidence.
Thank you for the suggestion and information. It helped a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many of my rifles for shooting smaller targets out to 400 yards or so wear a 4x12. I like them because they give enough magnification to be able to see the target clearly, but are not as bulky as my 6x18's that I have.
[/QUOTE
Many of my rifles for shooting smaller targets out to 400 yards or so wear a 4x12. I like them because they give enough magnification to be able to see the target clearly, but are not as bulky as my 6x18's that I have.
I'm probably going for the 4x12 then. Thank you.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Your going to want to make sure the scope has an Adjustable Objective. Most 4x12s do, but not all. Most scopes are parallax free at 100 or 150 yards. The longer out , the more critical. You need to be careful buying online. There are to many variables to consider without first looking through it. Any good retailer will let you go outside at twilight or similar times of day to compare.

I find that scopes are very personal , in that what one persons eye looks good, is not so much in another. There is a lot of good info online that will go through things like F.O.V. and Eye Relief.

Good Luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your going to want to make sure the scope has an Adjustable Objective. Most 4x12s do, but not all. Most scopes are parallax free at 100 or 150 yards. The longer out , the more critical. You need to be careful buying online. There are to many variables to consider without first looking through it. Any good retailer will let you go outside at twilight or similar times of day to compare.

I find that scopes are very personal , in that what one persons eye looks good, is not so much in another. There is a lot of good info online that will go through things like F.O.V. and Eye Relief.

Good Luck
Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look into the Leupolds VX3 4.5 x 14 and 6 x 18 power scopes. Quality glass is always a better way to go. These scopes are mid priced, but have clear glass and track accurately.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Millier35065, Hey buddy, you might want to check out a guy on youtube that goes by Gunblue680, I may be off but a google search will get you close. That guy has forgotten more about guns then I'll ever know. He used to be be a PD Armorer. He has got some stuff about scopes. His videos are LOOOOOONG, but easy to follow. You can tell he was an excellent instructor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Millier35065, Hey buddy, you might want to check out a guy on youtube that goes by Gunblue680, I may be off but a google search will get you close. That guy has forgotten more about guns then I'll ever know. He used to be be a PD Armorer. He has got some stuff about scopes. His videos are LOOOOOONG, but easy to follow. You can tell he was an excellent instructor.
I’ll have to check him out. Thanks for the suggestion

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
Most of my small varminters have 4-12 Leupolds on them. My favorite K-Hornet scope is a straight 8x with AO. I've got three 6-18 and one 6.5-20 and one 4.5-14 and several straight 10 and 12x. I like 12x for shooting most anything. 20x is fun if mirage isn't a factor.
I turn variable scopes down for beginners until they figure out how to find a target, then zoom in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Most of my small varminters have 4-12 Leupolds on them. My favorite K-Hornet scope is a straight 8x with AO. I've got three 6-18 and one 6.5-20 and one 4.5-14 and several straight 10 and 12x. I like 12x for shooting most anything. 20x is fun if mirage isn't a factor.
I turn variable scopes down for beginners until they figure out how to find a target, then zoom in.
Thanks

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,729 Posts
First let me say, Welcome to the forum and welcome to varmint shooting.

I take my varmint shooting perhaps a bit too seriously as I now have eight ^rifles dedicated to the cause and all wear at least a 4-18X44 scope, the "big" ones wear either a 6.5-20X50 or a 6-24X50. some are FFP, some are SFP but I really don't pay that much attention to where the FP is and depend more on knowing critter size to judge distance.

Anyways, shooting to 300 yards can be done with a REALLY good 3-9 but soon that will become boring as you try and stretch both your "legs" as well as your optics so you can start "small" and go "bigger" later, but IME, get at least a 4-18 of good quality, like a Vortex *Viper, Bushnell Nitro or Leopold Vx3 etc. I've picked up all my Leupolds 2nd hand for less than half the cost of new, because if I am not cheap, I am frugal.

RJ

^ one 17 Hornet, one 222 Rem, four 223's, one .243 and one 25-06
*less than the Viper series is "ok" but not "long range" enough for leg stretching

Reactions: Miller35065

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
I like 4x12 scopes, leaving them on 8x most of the time but it's nice to have a little more power {12x} to judge the horns on an antelope or the rack on deer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First let me say, Welcome to the forum and welcome to varmint shooting.

I take my varmint shooting perhaps a bit too seriously as I now have eight ^rifles dedicated to the cause and all wear at least a 4-18X44 scope, the "big" ones wear either a 6.5-20X50 or a 6-24X50. some are FFP, some are SFP but I really don't pay that much attention to where the FP is and depend more on knowing critter size to judge distance.

Anyways, shooting to 300 yards can be done with a REALLY good 3-9 but soon that will become boring as you try and stretch both your "legs" as well as your optics so you can start "small" and go "bigger" later, but IME, get at least a 4-18 of good quality, like a Vortex *Viper, Bushnell Nitro or Leopold Vx3 etc. I've picked up all my Leupolds 2nd hand for less than half the cost of new, because if I am not cheap, I am frugal.

RJ

^ one 17 Hornet, one 222 Rem, four 223's, one .243 and one 25-06
*less than the Viper series is "ok" but not "long range" enough for leg stretching
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
93 Posts
Spend as much as you can afford, you get what you pay for. Adjustable objective is a must, side focus is better yet, but not necessary. Old rule of thumb for prairie dog shooters spend as much on the scope as ya did on the gun, more is ok too

1 - 20 of 28 Posts