Shooters Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,462 Posts
Don't know what the practical limits are for scope power when shooting targets....but on critters,perfer abit more field of view...so end up with less power than many hunters seem to bolt onto their rifles.

Wouldn't let a 3-9X stop me from 300 yard shooting...it's enough. I'd likely be happier with something in the 12X upper range,prefer AO.....likely a varaible. Could always NOT crank it to max.power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m somewhat new to longer range shooting so I need a suggestion about scopes. I’ve been used to shooting to only about 100 yards so I’ve never needed to think about anything but a 3-9 powered scope. I’m wanting to start shooting about 300 yards and I wasn’t sure how high of power is recommended to shoot smaller game at that distance. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
My experience is that a 3 X 9 scope is plenty of magnification for 300 yards on small to medium or large game. Of course as was said previously, it depends a great deal on how small the game is. Coyotes should be no problem it would be more difficult with a target such as prairie dogs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
All of my long range rifles have a dedicated single power scope between 12 and 24 power.
If you are going to shoot various ranges than you would want a variable.
There are some wonderful old Weavers out there in fixed power that can be bought reasonably. Even the Chinese brands today that where once made in Japan can be excellent if can find an old one.
If it’s a dedicated long range gun.... go fixed power.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts