Shooters Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Are you stuck on a lever action? It took me 5 years, but I finally found a used Marlin bolt action for $110 used. It was like new, and shoots well. Sure I could have afforded new, but I wasn't in a hurry and didn't want to spend $200 or so at the time.

I know the prices are crazy now do to demand, but I'm sure there are still some deals to be had, if you are patient.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pre-Remington Marlins have gone UP in value, last gun show I was at, somewhat astonished by the price increases.

You might skunk around on some of gun auction sites and do a little investigating before taking a saw to it.
I bought my 39A at a Sportsman's Warehouse back in 2012. It might have been on the shelf for awhile, but the barrel is stamped, "Made in North Haven, CONN, USA" - so it might be one of the last to come out of the original Marlin factory. I've always wanted a 39A, to match the Model 336C in .30-30 my Dad bought for me for deer hunting back in 1973 (I was a freshman in high school then). With all the corporate mergers and buyouts, I miss the days when "Winchester" actually meant Winchester (made in New Haven, USA, and not just a "brand name" licensed by Olin). Another example: Who would have thought 20 or 30 years ago that the green "Remington" ammo boxes might one day disappear? (Okay, they haven't yet, but who knows what's going to happen with that brand now that they've been broken up in bankruptcy court? I've read that Marlin was bought by Remington, but now Ruger bought the gun-side of Remington? - who knows?)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I bought my 39A at a Sportsman's Warehouse back in 2012. It might have been on the shelf for awhile, but the barrel is stamped, "Made in North Haven, CONN, USA" - so it might be one of the last to come out of the original Marlin factory. I've always wanted a 39A, to match the Model 336C in .30-30 my Dad bought for me for deer hunting back in 1973 (I was a freshman in high school then). With all the corporate mergers and buyouts, I miss the days when "Winchester" actually meant Winchester (made in New Haven, USA, and not just a "brand name" licensed by Olin). Another example: Who would have thought 20 or 30 years ago that the green "Remington" ammo boxes might one day disappear? (Okay, they haven't yet, but who knows what's going to happen with that brand now that they've been broken up in bankruptcy court? I've read that Marlin was bought by Remington, but now Ruger bought the gun-side of Remington? - who knows?)
Ruger bought Marlin and will continue to produce them. Vista Outdoors bought Remington Ammunition. Vista already owns CCI, Federal and Speer just to name a few and will soon start all Remington Ammunition production again. So if you likes Remington and UMC ammo before, you will soon have the opportunity to buy it again.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
It just seems to me, after a couple hours of sleep, that I'm not a beggar and I'm lucky as heck to be a chooser.
The price some people will pay for a Marlin anything these days is just amazing. The 39's are harder and harder to find every year, (month), and that 24" barrel will be a prize for more than a few Marlin collectors. If you hook up with the Marlin forum, you can find a lot of fanatics that will come to your door with lots of money. More than a couple down in Texas.

Or you can sit on it, and it be worth more next year, and even more as the years go by.

Like many suggest, take a look at the Henry's, which are some of the best work out there today. I consider buying one from time to time, and I need another .22 like I need a glass eye and a wooden leg. They are very nice.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank you to everyone who weighed in here and helped me make the best decision for my grandsons. I'm keeping the Marlin (for a safe queen) until the boys are full grown. Yesterday, I ordered a Rossi .22 lever from Palmetto Arms (for myself). Hope to have it soon. Again, many Thanks

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Howdy again. I'm back to box this thread up with a ribbon and a bow. I bought two Rossi .22 rifles last week. A pump gallery model and the lever action Rio Bravo. Took the wife with me when I went to the LGS. Ooooof, while I was waiting on the obligatory background check, she spotted the .22 pump Gallery model. I could tell she liked it. Told her if looked and felt like a nicely balanced gun. Well, that was that and it came home with us too. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot either rifle, yet. However, after inventorying, my stock of .22 rounds, I found a box of .22 lr quiet rounds. They will be sacrificed this afternoon. Thank You All, your words of advice were very much appreciated and thoughtfully considered. I saved a good Marlin and now have two good fun guns. :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts