Shooters Forum banner

What should I do with my Model 39?

5K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Pudfark 
#1 ·
Howdy All, Last year I bought a Newer Model 39, I would guess, it was made in the 90's. It's beautiful rifle and is in pristine condition. My problem is that it has a 24" barrel and due to health issues, it's just to heavy to shoot well without support. Should I have the barrel shortened? Or, maybe trade it for a couple of Henery's? Maybe look to trade it for a 16" or 18" Model 39? My wife shoots a 50's Mod 39 with an 18" barrel it's a useable weight/balance for me. She just won't give it up. Advice and suggestions appreciated.

#2 ·
Nobody here can answer that question for you. BUT....if it were me I would try and trade it for a shorter model that suits you better. "Also" if it were me, I would do everything I could to be on the + side of the deal.

Sorry for your issues.

Good luck and all the best.

Joel

#4 ·
Thank You Both. I should'a said it was a Model 39AS. It is really barrel heavy, to me. I will hold on to it for awhile and throw some feelers out for a swap or sale. I live in N.E. Texas and there's not many, if any, gun shows around these parts. I guess, I'll end up in Houston, looking there? Woof, how I hate that thought. Really like the Marlin's, but would settle for a Browning.

#5 · (Edited)
I have replied to the "should I cut the barrel" with a standard reply, many times.

If you like your Marlin, like I do, more than any other one made out there, and, you don't plan on ever selling it, like me,... then I recommend cutting the barrel! I had mine cut to 16+ inches and I am EXTREMELY happy!

You may also consider putting a synthetic hollow butt stock on it, and, remove the fore end wood,... as I did,... see my avatar. That should bring the weight down for you. Even though I changed out to a synthetic butt to ADD weight by filling it with used primers, and, removed the wood fore end just because I like it that way! 😎

#6 ·
@shooter444 I would really like to see all of the rifle in your avatar, if you can post it? I wonder what it would cost to shorten the barrel, re-crown it, rework the magazine tube and a dovetail for the front site? Then to find someone competent to do the work? This rifle, to me, is not a financial investment. It, along with my wife's model 39 will be 'left' to both of our grandsons. I don't mind putting a few hundred bucks out, to have it done right.

#7 ·
Pudfark,... sadly I can't seem to access the full picture. Computers and I rarely get along! As for cost and who can do the work,... mine was $90 but was done well over a decade ago, by someone up in Oregon, that I used through my local retail gun shop, so, I can't help you with either. But I am sure, there is someone on this site who can.

Reactions: Pudfark
#8 ·
Ooof. It is your rifle, so of course I suggest do as you like.

But for my suggestion, what you are going to pay for a smith to do the work to your Model 39, that would be a a big step towards the cost of a Henry. I am not a Henry fan, but know several who are. So, my suggestion is leave the 39 as it is (I love the 24" barrel myself) and buy a Henry you like that is lighter. The Browning is also a good suggestion, but I think is a bit more pricy than the Henry's. Another Mountie is another good suggestion, but would cost you more than a Henry and a Browning added together.

My last thought. If you are leaving them to your grandsons, are they old enough yet to have an opinion? I have asked my boys more than a few time what they thought about a direction I was going to go and allowed their opinion to change my mind.

#9 ·
Really appreciate the advice and suggestions from everyone. This is the kind of help I asked for and received. I'm going to mull this over tonight, after a cocktail. Likely, I will head in the Henry direction and leave the 39AS as is. My grandson's are 10 and 13 and their minds change like the wind. Thanks 375Carp for the clarity.

#11 ·
Pre-Remington Marlins have gone UP in value, last gun show I was at, somewhat astonished by the price increases.

You might skunk around on some of gun auction sites and do a little investigating before taking a saw to it.

#22 ·
Pre-Remington Marlins have gone UP in value, last gun show I was at, somewhat astonished by the price increases.

You might skunk around on some of gun auction sites and do a little investigating before taking a saw to it.
I bought my 39A at a Sportsman's Warehouse back in 2012. It might have been on the shelf for awhile, but the barrel is stamped, "Made in North Haven, CONN, USA" - so it might be one of the last to come out of the original Marlin factory. I've always wanted a 39A, to match the Model 336C in .30-30 my Dad bought for me for deer hunting back in 1973 (I was a freshman in high school then). With all the corporate mergers and buyouts, I miss the days when "Winchester" actually meant Winchester (made in New Haven, USA, and not just a "brand name" licensed by Olin). Another example: Who would have thought 20 or 30 years ago that the green "Remington" ammo boxes might one day disappear? (Okay, they haven't yet, but who knows what's going to happen with that brand now that they've been broken up in bankruptcy court? I've read that Marlin was bought by Remington, but now Ruger bought the gun-side of Remington? - who knows?)

#14 ·
Did you buy the gun to be a collectors dream one day, or did you buy it to use it?
If you bought it to use it, use it in anyway you see fit. If that means duct tape and krylon, then by all means.
I always roll my eyes when someone says "you can't do that to a..." 🙄

Cheers

Reactions: Pudfark
#15 ·
It just seems to me, after a couple hours of sleep, that I'm not a beggar and I'm lucky as heck to be a chooser. I truly value the opinions, advice and suggestions rendered here. I'm now on the hunt for reasonably priced/valued lever action .22 Really seems to be slim pickin's where I live... With the Covid haunting everybody, I'm not in a hurry, but I'm gonna be vigilant and patient. I'm not gonna settle for anything that isn't right. Warn yer relatives, I'm on the prowl, hide the silverware...lol I'm 65 years of age, younger than some of the folks who reign/rain here? I've read more'n ten thousand posts on this forum in the last couple of months and very much regret taking so long to get here. It's truly comforting to know that good people still occupy the planet. Thanks everyone, I now have my course set and my mind made up.

Reactions: 375Carp and Darkker
#16 ·
Looks like 3 choices to me:

Cut up and lose value….which won’t make no never mind unless you want to sell it...other than that, it’s your heir’s problem.

Work at it and deal with the extra length, strength (which a Physical therapist might really like...but they all have a little sadist in them).

Sell it and hunt up one that suits you.

#20 ·
I have a model 39 -D as in dawg . They only made these for a couple of years. It is a superb lever 22. Not only is is shorter barreled but it has a thinner lighter barrel. It is easy to carry, clean and shoot. If I told the truth about its accuracy you would call me a liar.

#21 ·
Are you stuck on a lever action? It took me 5 years, but I finally found a used Marlin bolt action for $110 used. It was like new, and shoots well. Sure I could have afforded new, but I wasn't in a hurry and didn't want to spend $200 or so at the time.

I know the prices are crazy now do to demand, but I'm sure there are still some deals to be had, if you are patient.

#25 ·
Thank you to everyone who weighed in here and helped me make the best decision for my grandsons. I'm keeping the Marlin (for a safe queen) until the boys are full grown. Yesterday, I ordered a Rossi .22 lever from Palmetto Arms (for myself). Hope to have it soon. Again, many Thanks

Reactions: fxdwgpig
#27 ·
Howdy again. I'm back to box this thread up with a ribbon and a bow. I bought two Rossi .22 rifles last week. A pump gallery model and the lever action Rio Bravo. Took the wife with me when I went to the LGS. Ooooof, while I was waiting on the obligatory background check, she spotted the .22 pump Gallery model. I could tell she liked it. Told her if looked and felt like a nicely balanced gun. Well, that was that and it came home with us too. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot either rifle, yet. However, after inventorying, my stock of .22 rounds, I found a box of .22 lr quiet rounds. They will be sacrificed this afternoon. Thank You All, your words of advice were very much appreciated and thoughtfully considered. I saved a good Marlin and now have two good fun guns. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.