Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I will be getting a new Savage 111FLNS (.30-06) next week and was wondering what are some good American assembled scopes for around $250 or so. I have heard that there are really only two optics makers in the world, being in Europe and Japan, so I know the glass will not be American, but I would like to see the scope at least assembled in the U.S.A. (no Chinese brands, please). Since I have never owned a bolt-action and certainly never a scope, I'm not sure what I would need exactly. Specs., probably in the 2.5-10x40 or 3-9x40, on up to 50mm would be about right (most people I know that use scopes have this range of magnification). Black matte finish. Not sure about scope rings, but I guess the dealer I am buying the gun from will explain it to me. Thanks for any help.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,110 Posts
The new Redfields are US made and reports are of excellent quality. Only own a few of the older Denver made Redfields, so can only repeat what's been said.

·
Registered
107 Posts
With a requirement for USA assembled, at that price point, your choices are limited to the Leupold Rifleman, Leupold VX-I, and the new Redfields, also made by Leupold.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
I was going to reccomend the Rifleman, or the lower priced Burris. Can't go wrong with a Nikon either, but not US built.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Have two brands to recommend not mentioned yet: Swift Sports Optics and Nitrex. I own both. Swift site: http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/rs_premier.htm
Swift is optics company founded in late 1920s and I can remember seeing their rifle scopes back in the 1960s......In 2006, division selling rifle scopes, binoculors, spotting scopes became a separate company located in Colorado. I have 2 of the Premier 669M 6-18X44 AO scopes, one on a 25-06 and other on 6.5 Swede. Excellent optics comparable to higher priced scopes. List price on my model is $240....Optics planet has it for $210....seller on Amazon.com where I bought mine, priced at $125 (+about $12 shipping) Here is SWFA web page for Swift to review:
http://swfa.com/Swift-Premier-Rifle-Scopes-C197.aspx

Nitrex and Weaver owned by ATK that also owns Speer, CCI and others. Nitrex box has Nitrex By Weaver on it. While Nitrex scope not American made, it is built in Japan with Japanese optics......same scope as (American company) Weaver's Grand Slam and Super Slam scopes. Nitrex has one year over the counter exchange thru seller and then has life time warranty. If warranty work needed, Nitrex scope sent to Weaver to handle. Recently acquired one of Nitrex TR2 series 3-15X42 SF (Weavers Super Slam) discontinued models from Natchez Shooters Supply and with Natchez discounted price + $100 Nitrex rebate....scope cost me $219. Natchez has a number of various power Nitrex TR1s and Tr2s discontinued models forsale. Had 5 of my range shooting Leopold, Nikon, Burris user buddies evaluate scope and they were very very impressed with my Nitrex's optics and features. As one evaluator said, which all agreed with, "If it holds up, has no internal problems, then its a heck of a scope for a heck of a price." SWFA has same discontinued model scope, but with a higher priced reticle for $440....so with Nitrex rebate price would be $340. Here is Natchez web page for power scope you are interested in and you can review other Nitrex TR2 scope models here. To see TR1 models, have to find another web page. By the way Nitrex TR1 models have only a $50 rebate.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=WE94500

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Leupold's VX1 have good glass and good adjustments. They run right around $219-$229 in my neck of the woods. Matte finish costs more than gloss by about $10. The VX1 is an updated vari-x II with finer click adjustments.
Iown both and have a VX1 2-7x33 on my .375 H&H Ruger #1. Never had an issue with it and love the setup.

·
Registered
722 Posts
As an owner of 2 Leupold Rifleman's one sits on top of my 300 Winchester Magnum, and has been there for 7 years, they are rock solid scopes. Since mounting and sighting it in back in 2003, year after year it has held zero. Even during hunting in both climbiing tree stands and ladder stands. I am sure I will here the nay sayers comment on this: No this is not a VX-1 or a VX-2, but it does still carry the lifetime warranty, and it will be fixed or replaced and no charge to you.

Also own a Burris Fullfield II, it sits on top of my 338 Winchester Magnum, it has been on top of that for the last several years, has withstood 60 Rounds so far at this point.

Have heard good things about the Swifts, Weavers, and Nitrex, but do not have any experience with them. Other than that I have a good Tasco 4-12 x 42 MM, that has just taken a beating over the last 10 years. It has had time on top of a 338 WM, 300 WBY mag, 300 Win mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm STW, 30-06, 270 and 270 wby mag. It is my back up in a pinch scope now.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Look into Mueller scopes. They use European glass and are assembled in the US. Good quality at decent prices. That is the direction I would go if i had to meet your criteria.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts